Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 6:13:05 PM EDT
With out spending a ton of cash, what optic would you strap on top of your M1A? I'm getting a Polytech M1A and want to get a decent optic for the occasional need to reach out and touch someone...errrr...something.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem isn't so much the optic it's the mount. Decent mounts are expensive. The Leupold VX-II line offers very good mid priced scopes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
i like the arms lopro mount  but it is spendy
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, then lets amend the question to include a decent mount in the middle of the price range.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]

You could try a Super Sniper Scope from SWFA.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Engineering Considerations for M14/M1A Scope Mounts

by Walt Kuleck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think about the mechanics of the M14/M1A scope mounting system for a moment.

The inner, mounting surface of the typical mount mates up to the side of the receiver and is secured by the big screw. The second screw on "Generation 3" mounts fits into a clip guide block. If the two screws, when tightened, put *any* bending moment on the mount, the threaded fasteners are no longer in shear only but in tension also--not a good thing if you want them to stay tight as you bang on the mount (by shooting the rifle).

The ARMS 18 Mount allows for this "misalignment" by providing lateral adjustment of the clip guide block mount during installation. Properly installed, the screws are in shear only, with no bending moment on the mount, as good practice demands if the screws are to remain tight. It cams into the alignment groove on the receiver, ensuring 100% lockup in the groove. Then it adds a stablizing screw at the front to provide solid lockup.

If, when installed, your mount fits your receiver grooves well, and your clip guide mounting block is fortuitously positioned so that there is no bending moment on the mount, you are likely to enjoy satisfaction. Often these conditions do not obtain; thus the ARMS mount is designed to compensate for them.

Note that the clip guide was never intended to be part of a scope mounting system, so the location of the roll pin hole with respect to the left receiver wall is not held to any particular tolerance. Heck, the grooves in the receiver aren't held to a tight tolerance, either! The weaknesses of the original single-screw design only became evident in service; that's why the two-screw design was developed. ARMS has simply gone the next step. Call it a "Fourth Generation" mount!

Hope this helps.

--Walt Kuleck

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: M1A scope
Date: 23 Nov 1996 23:56:59 -0500

sawimmer wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what scope I should mount on my
new Springfield Armory M1A?  The second generation scope that SA
offers seems a bit high-priced.  My bolt-action .308 Remington has a
Nikon 3-9x40.  Suggestions?

There is nothing harder on a scope than an m14/M1A.  The counter
recoil is what wrecks them!  In tests that I have run I found only a few
that would stand up over a few rounds.  Swarovski was the best in the
intermediate price range.

What about the Leupold LE models?  Did they get trashed as well?

Pete

The LE Leupold Doesn't have much chance.The Ultra stands up longer.  I
had Redfield hunting scopes turn the erector lens cross ways in the tube
after three shots If you put a transducer on the gun you will be
surprised to see higher G forces when the slide goes forward than when
it fires.

Gale Mc

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:15:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I can hit out to 5-600 yds. with my M1A with open sights. Past that, it's all bolt gun, with a scope. For what your gonna spend on a scope, and a decent mount, you could get a used rifle, with a good scope already on it, maybe.
just my .02
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40 on my M1A, great scope and under $200.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah hell, I'll just let her alone and get a bolt gun too. Just be nice to have a 30 cal MBT in the arsenal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top