Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 8:16:46 PM EDT
Can't wait until all the LEO suckups jump on this and defend this guy (he was just doing his job, at least he made it home, stuff like that)

Don't rehire Lovelace, sergeant tells Chandler board
Investigator says former officer broke police rules

Edythe Jensen
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 22, 2004 05:30 PM

Former Chandler Police Detective Dan Lovelace doesn't have the mental skills to be a cop and shouldn't get his job back, an internal investigation sergeant testified during a second round of hearings Friday before the city Merit System Board

The city fired Lovelace, 39, two years ago after he shot and killed Dawn Rae Nelson, 35, of Ahwatukee Foothills at a drugstore drive-through window. The woman, whose 14-month-old son was in the back seat, was allegedly filling a forged prescription and tried to flee.

Jurors acquitted Lovelace of murder and other charges in July; he has since appealed his dismissal.

Sgt. Arnold "Andy" Anderson testified Friday that Nelson's crime was a misdemeanor, Lovelace was not in danger, and the officer violated department rules when he drew his gun. Lovelace may have panicked when he shot and killed Nelson as she was trying to drive away.

"He didn't go to work that day intending to kill somebody," Anderson said under questioning by the city's attorney, Kate Baker. But when Nelson tried to flee, "I felt, let her go," he said.

In a videotaped interview with Anderson, Lovelace said he feared Nelson would run him over but didn't dispute eyewitnesses who saw him chasing after Nelson's car and shooting her at close range through the driver's window from behind.

Anderson said Lovelace broke down after being confronted with that evidence. "I'm sorry," he said, weeping. "I work hard; I'd take a bullet for anybody. I messed up; I messed up."

The tape was never shown to jurors in the criminal case because internal investigations cannot be admitted in court.

The city paid at least $1.9 million to Nelson's family, with an insurance company paying an undisclosed additional sum. .

The Merit System Board hearing continues at 9 a.m. Monday.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
He sounds like a real class act. He got the city sued once or twice before, IIRC.

Actually, the LEO was arguing that she was a fleeing felon, who was going to hurt people because she is a drug addict, so she's definitely going to be stoned and probably going to crash.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonder if he is any kin to Linda?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Her real name was Linda Borman.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If there was any justice, he SHOULD be choking down a big dick right about now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
<yawn>

Again?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
<yawn>

Again?

I agree...........how 'bout some cowbell instead?

dinga ding ding ding
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#7]
How's the dog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top