Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 4:35:42 PM EDT
Background: 18 year old house, gut kitchen to walls and remove vinyl flooring in preparation for rehab

Symptoms: sound of  water running, hot water heater on overtime, warm and damp spot on concrete floor

teh suck: definition- a water leak under the slab of your house

Used an automotive air chisel to open the slab where I figured the pipes ran.  Close, only about 8 inches off a dead hit.  To add insult, the pipes run into the footing and thats where the water leak is located.  That is 'teh suck'.  Fvck the air chisel,  the slab is a foot thick and growing the closer I get to the wall. Where can I rent an electric jack hammer in Apache Junction or East Mesa?  Tannerite is sounding like a reasonable solution about now.

I need a beer!

Mike
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to hear that.  We almost bought a house on a slab but decided to spend a few extra bucks and go with a basement.  It makes getting to plumbing and electrical so much easier.  Good luck to you.  Hope it turns out well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Mike,
Tannerite sounds like your best bet.  You will have the decency to invite us all over to watch won't you?
George

Jokes aside, we had the same problem at our old place.  We had a company re-route through the attic. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Egads, man, I am sorry to hear that!  Stock up on beer now and remember, if you punch a hole in the wall  you then have another patch!

A to Z rentals has always treated me nice for all my rental needs, but I don't know if they have an East Valley location.  My advice for low prices/deposit and ease of availability:  Home Depot.  Their equipment is fairly new, they have locations everywhere, and when I asked a buttload of questions about a welder I rented they were very helpful.

I would get a 60lb chipping hammer for this job.  Make sure you get one without a twist-lock plug or else you'll need to buy an adapter for use in your home.  If you use an extension cord, go 12 gauge, 50' only or you will be running back and forth tripping the breaker more than you'll be chiseling.

And don't forget to wear gloves picking up the concrete pieces, or your endeavors will become much more difficult as you try to chip and clean with stitches!  Did I mention make certain you stock up on the beer?  LOL
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Why bother?
Disconnect old pipe from heater, and run a new one in between the walls or through attic.
No building code I know of that says you can't do this.
Plus easier access if you need it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a case job to me!

Coors?  

Sorry to hear of the problems.  

Mike
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A to Z rentals has always treated me nice for all my rental needs, but I don't know if they have an East Valley location.  My advice for low prices/deposit and ease of availability:  

They have a location right off of stapley and baseline, across from the walmart (south side of baseline)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
update:  Rented a 60 lb jack hammer from Sunstate at  Baseline and Idaho, too slow.  The next step up was an air driven 90 pounder.  That sucker would've cracked some stucco, fer sure.  Back to the air chisel.  The whole exercise was a lesson in perserverance.

So, I fought 'teh suck' and I won!  Here's a pic for  posterity.  

Kevin: Going through the attic was a fall back option.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
update:  Rented a 60 lb jack hammer from Sunstate at  Baseline and Idaho, too slow.  The next step up was an air driven 90 pounder.  That sucker would've cracked some stucco, fer sure.  Back to the air chisel.  The whole exercise was a lesson in perserverance.

plain_edge.home.mchsi.com/pipe.jpg

Mike

I bet your arms felt numb after that
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]

The whole exercise was a lesson in perserverance.

Damn man, now that's dedication to duty!
Congrats on improvising, and overcoming.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

plain_edge.home.mchsi.com/pipe.jpg

Mike

Sweet! You're that much closer to a cache spot or a secret escape tunnel!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top