Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 7:43:16 AM EDT
I'm looking for people with experience in this area.  I have a 5 year old house with a shitty roof.

Leaking on year 2 (builder out of business).  I had to fix and repair scuppers.  

Leaked on year 4 - reseal some more

Tiny leak now but inevitable it will leak some more.

Oh, clever lad me I got a flat roof house.

OK, so I talked with the guys in Home Depot.  They suggest either:

1)  I buy a ladder and regularly go up and reseal the roof.  Might work, might not.   And I hate heights.

2)  Could continue to pay schmucks to reseal the roof and expect it to leak on occasion.

3)  Pay to have the roof replaced (big $$$ I suspect)

4)  Pay for a foam roof.

I got an estimate for the foam deal at Kyko today.  Not cheap.  Somewhere between $8,000 and $10,000 depending on which level of foam I choose.

Anyone ever used Kyko?  Any experience with foam roofs?  Is this price outrageous or in line with industry norms?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Just reseal it yourself on a yearly basis! Flat roof=pain in ass
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#2]

I have a friend that's a roofer. I'll get his phone # and IM-mail it to you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
AZgunnnut

It is an idea.  Not one I like though.  I HATE heights.

Carbine,

Thanks.  I am in process of getting quotes.  My wife babysits for a guy who is a home contractor.  He heard we were looking and is giving us a name and number on Monday.  Says the guy is real good and lots cheaper than Ky-Ko or the other guys on the radio ads.

I am  leaning towards a foam roof.  Lower electric bill, less frequent maintenance, lasts longer.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
... Hey jimmybcool, aren't you in Thailand now?

... If so, we had a couple monsoon rages here in the past couple days. You should have a confidant check up on it's condition. Once during an elk hunt, I discovered that a friends cabin had a leaking roof from a fallen tree branch and he was able to get it fixed before serious weather damage would have.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Winston,

Not yet.  Leave this week.  In any case my wife is here to keep an eye on it.  The leak we have is very minor and only happens when it rains AND we have high winds from west to east.  

If it  took me another 3 months to figure this out I'd be OK.  But I think I got a good thing now.  We'll see.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You can check out http://www.henry.com

There are some good products out there and then there are some better ones.  I am not a roofer, but I have done some roofing and have two more on the slate to do later on this year.  For a flat roof, I would recommend an SBS modified premium grade membrane.  This is not felt and it is waterproof as soon as it is installed.  Then apply the cool roofing products that were invented specifically for Arizona.  These do have to be resealed every few years, and I know several folks who have just done this.  With this method you have a waterproof membrane with a waterproof sealer.  

Another good product is the Lo-slope self adhering product that Henry sells.  This is applied by spraying a primer through a pest sprayer and then applying the roofing product.  It says to cut the product in 15 foot sections and by all means, do so.  This stuff goes down fast.  I did a roof a few months ago and I am very impressed with this new product.  

$8000 for any roof that is not masonary is highway robbery!!!

If you do find the right roofer, he will probably be able to do a roof for about what it would cost you to buy the materials and do it yourself. There are some good roofers that don't have huge companies and big advertisements.  Check the want ads and the penny saver and then ask the guy for references and call them. Good luck there:)

If your roof has felt or a damaged or improperly installed membrane, you will be chasing leaks forever.

Don't take much advice from folks at Home Depot.  They talk big and can be very persuasive, but the ones that work in the roofing section are generally dumber than a bag of hammers.  If they actually knew something about roofing, they would be roofers!!!  I have been given bad advise on several occasions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the link and advice Earp.  I will check it out.

Right now I have a line from a friend to a commercial roofer who works for my friend when he builds houses.  I am hoping to get the same rates he does as a favor.  We will see.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top