Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 1:00:28 PM EDT
i will be in AZ in about a month and would like to partake in your open carry opportunities.  where can i and can't i carry.  thanks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No place that serves alcohol. Eat at Cracker Barrell or fast food joints.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to mention Indian Res, or Federal Buildings.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]

308wood,    If you have a Texas CCW it's also good here in Arizona. We have a reciprocity with Texas.

No carry zones: All government buildings Federal, State, and City, school grounds, alcohol serving business, and any place that post a sign No Firearms allowed. Voting polls, military bases, prisons, National Parks, nuclear generating station. City Parks are also off limits in Phoenix unlees you have a CCW.

Gun must be partially visible or in a belt holster/ no fanny packs and can be loaded or unloaded while open carry.

Guns in cars must also be visible or in a case or holster and be visible. You can also have it loaded in your glove compartment. Although do not store it under your seat or conceal it on you.

Hope this helps and enjoy. You may or will get funny looks from some people. Some people don't know you can open carry in Arizona.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Was there ever a ruling on fanny packs? I havent been keeping up to date on this one. Links?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
hey Carbine, on the Parks and CCW thing, the signs usually are marked out regarding guns, is OPEN carry ok there?  

-luke
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]
... Is there anyone in the State left without a CCW?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hey Carbine, on the Parks and CCW thing, the signs usually are marked out regarding guns, is OPEN carry ok there?  

-luke

... No, not in city parks
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
you can find out pretty much anything you want to know at www.packing.org/
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Phoenix city parks are now Ok but only with CCW.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW!  open carry!  are you serious?    Thats just too cool....and I thought we here in Texas had pretty dang good gun laws..
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Phoenix city parks are now Ok but only with CCW.

... Please clarify: Both concealed & open?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Subsection (C) of § 13-3108 permits political subdivisions to enact firearms regulations that:

1. Impose privilege and use taxes on the retail sale, lease or rental of, or the gross proceeds or gross income from the sale, lease or rental of, firearms or ammunition or their components.

2. Prohibit minors unaccompanied by a parent, guardian or certified hunter or firearms safety instructor from knowingly possessing or carrying a firearm in any place that is in or open to the public or on private property.  Any ordinance or rule adopted pursuant to this provision shall not apply to ordinances that relate to minors age fourteen through seventeen engaged in lawful hunting or shooting events, including transportation of an unloaded firearm for such purposes, and for activities related to agricultural work.

3. Regulate the use of land and structures, including firearms or ammunition-related businesses or shooting ranges, in the same manner as other commercial businesses.

4. Regulate employees or independent contractors of the political subdivision who are acting within the course and scope of their employment or contract, which involves the use of firearms or ammunition.

5. Limit firearms possession in certain parks or preserves, or areas within parks or preserves, to persons who possess concealed-weapons permits.  These limitations do not apply to persons engaged in permitted firearms or hunting safety courses taught by a certified instructor, to persons at supervised firing ranges or hunting areas, permitted shooting events, or permitted firearms shows, to persons legally transporting, carrying, storing or possessing a firearm in a vehicle, or to persons traveling to or from an area where they were lawfully engaged in hunting, marksmanship practice or recreational shooting.

6. Limit or prohibit the discharge of firearms in parks and preserves.  Narrow exceptions exist to this area of regulation, including the discharge of firearms on properly supervised ranges, in recommended hunting areas, to control nuisance wildlife by permit, if in possession of a special permit issued by the chief law enforcement officer of the political subdivision, if working as an animal control officer, or in reasonable self-defense or reasonable defense of another person against an animal attack.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/3102.htm

GENERALLY, MISCONDUCT INVOLVING WEAPONS (13-3102.A.1 and A.2) DOES NOT APPLY TO:

A deadly weapon which is immediately accessible and carried openly by a means that makes it obvious to a casual observer the person is carrying a deadly weapon ("open carry")

A person in his home, on his business premises or on real property owned or leased by that person

Within a means of transportation, a deadly weapon that is not immediately accessible or if it is clearly visible to a casual observer or if it is carried in a container that makes it obvious the person is transporting a deadly weapon

A pocketknife (a folding knife with a blade less than 4 inches)

A peace officer or any person summoned by any peace officer to assist while actually in the performance of official duties

A warden, deputy warden or correctional officer of the state department of corrections

A member of the military forces of the United States or of any state of the United States in the performance of official duties

A person specifically licensed, authorized or permitted (ccw permit) pursuant to a statute of this state or of the United States. Permit holders are subject to the below listed restrictions

FIREARMS ARE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED IN THE FOLLOWING PLACES (with or without a permit)
Businesses serving alcohol for consumption on the premises (peace officers are excepted)

Polling places on election days (peace officers are excepted)

School grounds (some exceptions – see below) (peace officers are excepted)

Commercial nuclear & hydroelectric generating stations (peace officers are excepted)

Military installations (peace officers are limited)

Indian reservations (check w/tribe, peace officers are limited)

Game preserves (peace officers are limited)

National parks (peace officers are limited)

Correctional facilities

Federal buildings (peace officers are limited)

Airports (in or beyond security checkpoints) (peace officers are limited)

Where federal, state or local laws prohibit weapons (peace officers are limited)

State or local government/private establishments or events when asked by the operator/sponsor/agent. Most government facilities will provide a location to temporarily store a firearm. Persons who refuse to leave and/or secure their weapon are trespassing and can be cited or arrested for 13-1502A1 (C3M) or 13-1503A (C2M), depending on the venue (peace officers are excepted)

School exceptions (Concealed or not):

You are an adult in a vehicle and the firearm is unloaded before entering school grounds. Furthermore, if you must exit your vehicle, the firearm must remain unloaded and be secured (locked) within the vehicle, out of plain view (ARS 13-3102.I.1) Use caution and common sense if you must exit the vehicle with a firearm to secure it in the trunk (avoid causing a potentially serious disturbance)

You are an adult attending a firearms related class (hunter/safety) or participating in a school program that requires you to bring or possess a firearm and the training or event was scheduled and approved by school administrators (ARS 13-3102.H & I.2). This exception also applies to a juvenile accompanied by a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or a certified hunter/firearms safety officer acting with the permission of a parent or guardian (ARS 13-3111.A). The firearm will be unloaded before entering school grounds and should be placed in a case to avoid causing a potentially serious disturbance

Additionally, designated employees of a school may order a person off of school property if that person is believed to be interfering with school operations. School boards may also enact specific and more restrictive rules governing firearms and deadly weapons on school grounds (ARS 13-2911). Determine the what the rules of a school are before attempting to enter school grounds with a firearm
PERMIT HOLDER REQUIREMENTS
A qualified person must have the permit in possession when carrying a concealed weapon

The permit must be presented to any law enforcement officer upon request, along with a driver’s license, military ID, state ID card or passport

A law enforcement officer may temporarily take possession of a firearm during traffic stops or other official contacts with the public
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Steve,

To back up my post on the park situation. Phoenix had posted signs at the parks saying that firearms were prohibited. AZ State Rifle and Pistol Assoc. said no they aren't, there is no statute or ordnance to forbid them. So they planned and held several armed picnics to prove their point. Nothing happened to them. But Phoenix refused to remove the signs. Then the preemption stuff started. Several cities lobbied hard against it so the language that I posted was added to make them happy. It doesn't say if open carry is OK but I would have to guess that it would be if you have a CCW. I always carry concealed when hiking trail 100.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
When I hike or Bike south mountain I just blow by those "no gun" signs!  I carry open up there with no probs.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... Is there anyone in the State left without a CCW?

The homo, Lotboy, Doesn't have one.  But I guess if your life is online gaming and masturbation, you don't need one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top