Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 1:06:04 PM EDT
I think i posted this a long time ago on here, but in the wrong place... but ahh well.

Any of you guys work for, or have buddies who work for, any gun shops here in the valley?  I wanna get to a shop that i can trust.  I dotn feel like goin to just any shop and have to deal with some asshole treating me like im some dumb fuck just cuz i dont know anything.  I want someone who will help me wiht it a bit. its all new to me for the most part (thanks to the DMG guys for letting me use their Tommy and Mac 10 as my first ever shoots at the CG outing).  I know some shops, and gun fans in general treat newbies to the sport with little to no respect.   As with anything, any help would be great... im in teh west as well, but id drive if it means someone i can trust.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
 If your looking to buy guns. AR's try Calvary Arms, FN FAL try AZEXARMS. Both are in Mesa.

Handguns for good prices Machine Gun Kellys/ 19th Ave.,  Scottsdale Gun Center/ South Scottsdale RD, or Bear Arms/ North Scottsdale Rd. . Bear Arms has the largest handgun selection.

If you need a gunsmith A & A Gunsmithing 5027 W. Olive Glendale. AZEXARMS can also do work to.
Reloading equipment Dillions on Frank Loyd Wright Blvd.

Also since your new to this stuff ask questions here. Most anyone will help you. We all started off new sometime ourself. And I hate to see anyone get burned.

Hope this helps you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second the vote for Scottsdale Gun Shop.  They are nice guys and answer all your questions.  I've bought my Glock and my AR from them.  I got my AR at the gun show from them, and my Glock at their shop.  Also, if you can wait for the next gun show, Arizona Gun Runners in Pine.  They are wholesale only, EXCEPT for at gun shows, they sell to the public.  They are usually up there with the best prices.  J&G in Prescott is also pretty good.    Pistol Parlor in Mesa isn't bad.  They use to have some of the best prices, but have gone up a little, still not too bad and nice people.  They are on Southern between County Club and Extension in Mesa.    Can't help you with the West side, I'm an East side guy.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Shooting Star in Tempe. A couple of the guys who work there are "know it alls". But the owner is a really cool guy. And his prices are pretty good. But if looking for an AR, i have to say the guys at Calvary Arms are the best in town...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like the Shooting Star in Tempe. A couple of the guys who work there are "know it alls". But the owner is a really cool guy. And his prices are pretty good. But if looking for an AR, i have to say the guys at Calvary Arms are the best in town...

Know it alls? BWAAHAhahahahah
God when I worked there, some of the other guys had never even SHOT A GUN IN THEIR ENTIRE LIFE.
I dont know who is working there now, but the BS use to pile up pretty quick.

Ruiner how far West are you?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm almost 100% in agreement with Carbine10:
For great prices on Glocks,sigs,beretta,remington, etc. MG Kelly's is great.  
For gunsmithing, A&A is tops in my book as well.
For tactical gear like eagle & blackhawk and C3 guns, The Armory in Scottsdale.

I've not been to the new cavarms shop but I do like the crew from there and my Cav-15/accessories.  I'll either get down there soon or order a coyote brown furniture set from Treetop.

I've not been to Bear Arms since they moved, but I do recall they had many, many guns.  The only place I know with more guns is "The music box" or something like that on Central Ave north of I-10 on the east side of the road, it's a pawn shop and they've got thousands of guns, mostly your pawn shop type guns but for sheer quantity, it's impressive.

-luke
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a shop in the north part of town that very few know about.

It is quickly becoming one of my favorite shops.

Classic Guns and Knive is located on the northwest corner of 19th ave and Greenway.  

They are not your common gun store.  They have a few ARs and a good selection of different handguns.

They mainly deal with used and traded firearms.

They are very fair with trade-ins or outright buys.

They stock the largest collect of Randall knives that I have ever seen.

This shop is definately worth the trip.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
FirearmTom1 is right, Classic Guns is better than average. Very nice guys who seem just as happy have you look around and shoot the bull as they would be to sell you a new toy. If your waaay out west, give Guns Plus a looksee. 16551 N. DysartRd. Surprise Az. 623-583-1570  Ken Senft, the owner also teaches a myriad of weapon courses from C.C.W. to tactical shotgun. Another good bet would be Lone Wolf at 51st ave. and Peoria. They usually have very competitive prices. Hope this helps!  Spackler OUT.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key.
Not golfers, you great fool! Gophers! THE LITTLE BROWN, FURRY RODENTS!
We can do that. We don't even need a reason.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
ah, yes, forgot about Classic.  That's "Crabby's" shop.  Half gunshop, half knifeshop.  I went there shortly after he opened, wanted to buy his 1919 on the wall, no dice.  I'll have to stop back by.

-luke
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is a shop in the north part of town that very few know about.

It is quickly becoming one of my favorite shops.

Classic Guns and Knive is located on the northwest corner of 19th ave and Greenway.  

They are not your common gun store.  They have a few ARs and a good selection of different handguns.

They mainly deal with used and traded firearms.

They are very fair with trade-ins or outright buys.

They stock the largest collect of Randall knives that I have ever seen.

This shop is definately worth the trip.

This place is 3 minutes from my house. I went in there a few weeks ago with $2000 in my pocket, it took the salesman 15 minutes to notice me. (there was 1 other customer) I didn't buy anything. I AM invisible.
AB
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#10]
i work at Arizona Tactical a.k.a. Shooter's World on 28th Ave south of Indian School.  although i'll make no guarantees for the other employees (although they're generally a good bunch of guys), i pride myself on being a professional and helping people to make purchases that they'll genuinely be happy with (you see, we don't work on commission, so most of us have no desire to shovel garbage onto customers).  
if you get a chance to stop by, my name is Don, usually there wed, fri, sat, sun.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd agree.  AZ Tactical are usually really nice and helpfull guys.  They have a pretty large assortment of clothing/gear/guns.  I stop in there about once a week just to look around.  Prices on guns seem a bit steep to me, but I do buy gear from them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow thats cool that you guys dont work on comission unlike Caswells in Mesa. The BS that I have seen slung in that place! OMG! Stay away stay far, far away.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#13]
DAMN.. im sick for a day and i get a TON of replies.  THANKS GUYS!!!  

1. Im walking distance from Arrowhead mall.. so im at 101 and Bell FAAAAR North West valley.

2.The only shop ive been too was Guns Plus.. and i talked to Ken for over an hour and a half. Real nice guy.  He put the hard sell on with the Glocks...lol.   I still wanna check out some other shops though.  I also looked at teh CAV-15 at their place.  But now that you say Cav Amrs has a shop of their own.... id rather just go to the source and buy.  Is it an open to the public shop?  

3.Thanks again!!!!  Im gonna jot these places down, and check them out with a buddy of mine who is also looking to buy his first gun.  We were going to go driving around this weekend, but my brother has dropped my neice in my lap for all of saturday, so the plans are shot (no pun intended). I dont think hed apreciate (nor would the folks at the shops) if i took her with.

So again.. thanks for all the help.  If i have any other questions ill be SURE as shit to ask em here.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm with Allbob on my opinion of Classic_Guns_and_Knives.

Those guys are the biggest pricks I've ever seen in any retail establishment anywhere, bar none.

I guess they think you should buy them dinner and take them to movie, then they might (MIGHT) deem to notice that you're in the shop.

I seriously got the impression that the shop is a tax write off for a rich guy who has no intention of actually selling anything.

Needless to say, I won't be going back.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Another purchase from Classic Guns and Knives.

I bought a Randall #14 today.  Very nice knive.

I met Carbine10 there the other day too.

Sorry that some you are not happy with those guys, I have never had any problems.

I have been to many shops in town that I have had bad experiences in, I just figure everyone has a bad day now and then.

I do not "bash" them on-line, I just do not visit them again.

If you do not have some nice to say.....

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#16]
i had a pretty "neutral" experience at Classic...not completely ignored, but not really cuddled with either.
when i went in there they had a really really small selection.  maybe they've added more.
my personal favorite store is Bear Arms, just because they have a ton of new and used stuff, of all types, lots of AR's, and their prices are great.  
Cavalry Arms does not have a retail store, per se, but they don't seem to mind giving brief tours of the facility if you make prior arrangements.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]
LONE WOLF GUNS

great shop, and great prices.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll second the Lone Wolf guys. I buy 99% of my new guns there, as well as some of my reloading stuff. Good dudes.
AB
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
LONE WOLF GUNS

great shop, and great prices.

I agree.  I did not mention them this time because on  a earlier thread others bashed them too.

I guess that you just can't make some people happy.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been to most of the Phoenix area shops mentioned so far, my experience for the most part good.  But don't forget Randalls at 51st Ave & Olive, probably my favorite here on the West Side.  Bear Arms is great when I make the trek there.

What I want to know is who in the Phoenix are stocks RRA or Eagle lower receivers at a fair price?  It is nobody that I can find.

Then question #2, Who will order me one of these?  Again nobody that I can find want's to make a serious effort to order a stripped (or complete) lower for 15 to 25 bucks even if I pay the distributor direct so they are simply transfering  the registered part to me, none of their money tied up, no risk.  I mean there has to be somebody with a FFL that wants to make $20 for 20 minutes or a half hours work. Damn, I miss the days when half my buddies had FFL's!

So as the gun shops wonder why sales are down I wait for the next big gun show.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:09:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, Bear Arms isn't exactly my favorite place either.  Most of the people their have an attitude and don't like people asking questions.  One of my friends has known the owner for years, yet he never gives him good deals IMO.  My friend still likes him and talks highly despite the lack of reciprocity.  I also find most of their prices on the high side.

I like Machine Gun Kelly's, Lone Wolf (a few unfriendlies but good deals), The Armory, and a couple other places for looking.  

Unfortunately, a lot of our gun stores are pathetic considering our freedoms here. Arizona Sportsman is extremely expensive and never stocked.  Phoenix Arms? on 7th ST. is pretty bad.  J&G is a tin fiol hat club and I won't go there after them changing prices between a phone call and drive up.  I could go on and on.  We need some better stores here.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, Bear Arms isn't exactly my favorite place either.  Most of the people their have an attitude and don't like people asking questions.  One of my friends has known the owner for years, yet he never gives him good deals IMO.  My friend still likes him and talks highly despite the lack of reciprocity.  I also find most of their prices on the high side.

I like Machine Gun Kelly's, Lone Wolf (a few unfriendlies but good deals), The Armory, and a couple other places for looking.  

Unfortunately, a lot of our gun stores are pathetic considering our freedoms here. Arizona Sportsman is extremely expensive and never stocked.  Phoenix Arms? on 7th ST. is pretty bad.  J&G is a tin fiol hat club and I won't go there after them changing prices between a phone call and drive up.  I could go on and on.  We need some better stores here.[/quote

Phoenix Arms is out of business. I got some smokin' deals when they were cleanin' house.
AB
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not surprised Phoenix Arms is out of business.  They bit hard.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#25]
phoenix arms was the only place I could get black hills 168.   now I just get cases of Fed GMM and don't need to buy by the box.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't been to the business location, but
I bought an Eagle Arms stripped lower from him at one of the shows for $115 out the door.

He seemed like a straight shooter. I don't think you can beat the price since you won't have to pay shipping and a FFL transfer fee doing a face to face transaction.

I snagged one of his business cards. Here's all the pertinents.

Mad Dawg Global Marketing
Mike Detty, President
11660 E. Placita Del Rincon
Tucson, AZ
520-749-8434
[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top