Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2021 6:23:36 PM EDT
OK Ohio. I'm considering retiring in your neighborhood.  What is the best area for someone that is a shooter but not a hunter?
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you like to do besides shoot ?  What sort of shooting do you like ?  We have state firearms preemption so the laws are uniform, and they are very good at this point.  Central Ohio is a bit of a shooting desert, I wouldn't recommend it for an avid shooter.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I dabble in USPSA and Steel Challenge. IDPA and 3Gun look interesting and I will definitely need to make a pilgrimage to Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
South of 70 = less snow (enough to be pretty a few times a winter, with one or two actual storms lasting 2-3 days)
North of 70 = enough snow to be disruptive (several storms with snow lasting several days, and gets annoying)
North Central to North East = Lake Effect Snow   ( Oh GOD!!!  WHY?! )

(ok, slight exaggeration, this happens every couple years)
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Portage County has a couple of ranges that do USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3-Gun matches.  There is some good fishing that way, too, if you are interested.  It isn't terribly far from the Cuyhoga Valley National Park, Lake Erie, Cedar Point, and other attractions.  There are a couple of ranges not too far south from there that have 1000+ yard lanes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you looking for a rural setting, small town, big city????

Stay out of Cuyahoga county or you will pay through the nose on taxes compared to other counties. I am quite fond of the fairlawn/bath area.  Just about anything you need/want within an hours drive, plus access to most of the major highways to take you anywhere else you need.  

If I may ask, why AZ to OH for retirement?  Seems like you are doing it backwards.......

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Over the last 35 years I have lived in New York, Hawaii, North Carolina and Arizona. In about 2 years I will be retiring from my federal job. I'm originally from upstate NY, but I'm not going back there. My Wife's family is from Toledo, but we don't want to be anywhere near that place. Arizona is getting full and it's not like home. I don't really belong anyplace anymore, but I think I could blend in to rural Ohio.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Greene County has some pretty good suburbs along I-675. Further East is pretty much rural if you were planning on buying land and you're not to far from shopping or good medical facilities, if those matter to you. I'd avoid any county that has a 'Big City' in it if only for the higher tax rates.

Ranges? Spring Valley run by the ODNR is pretty nice but only for punching paper. Green County Fish and Game is a private club but open to non members for events like Steels Challenge, CMP matches, NRA pistol league, etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Greene County has some pretty good suburbs along I-675. Further East is pretty much rural if you were planning on buying land and you're not to far from shopping or good medical facilities, if those matter to you. I'd avoid any county that has a 'Big City' in it if only for the higher tax rates.

Ranges? Spring Valley run by the ODNR is pretty nice but only for punching paper. Green County Fish and Game is a private club but open to non members for events like Steels Challenge, CMP matches, NRA pistol league, etc.
View Quote

Second this.
Also, Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmans Association near Wilmington hosts 3-Gun and IDPA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If I was retired and moving to any location in OH I would move to the area circled below.  I like the rolling hills and it is almost centrally located to a lot of shooting ranges, plus you could set up your own range.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Lake  County? Yea or neigh?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lake County Sheriff's Department is pro CCW. I live in Cuyahoga County but get my permit in Lake.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lake County is nice in the summer.  My wife's family lives in Painesville and Chardon.  In the winter it gets a lot of snow, however (look up lake effect snow/snow belt in Ohio.)  We live near Canton and the difference in snowfall can be impressive.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to live in Lake County.  Nice other than the crazy amounts of snow.  I live in Trumbull now,50 miles south of Lake Co, we get less than 1/4 the snow fall.  

Worst counties for snow fall:
Lake
Ashtabula
Geauga
Cuyahoga
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I was retired and moving to any location in OH I would move to the area circled below.  I like the rolling hills and it is almost centrally located to a lot of shooting ranges, plus you could set up your own range.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57471/Capture_JPG-2062898.JPG
View Quote

This is by far the nicest landscape in Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

If retired then this area or south of there. Like Zanesville and south. If you get down to Lancaster / Logan lots more people and tourist.
I live in middle west almost at IN line, farm rural but not BFE rural. I have to work. The area above has BFE areas.
My dirt bike enduro club is in Vinton co and the bottom of Hocking co, pretty nice and rural with Chillicothe not too far away.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Help me get oriented, what are some towns in that region ?

OP, draw a line from Cleveland to Columbus, and from Columbus to Dayton (and beyond).  Most of that is very flat, Kansas flat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OP, draw a line from Cleveland to Columbus, and from Columbus to Dayton (and beyond).  Most of that is very flat, Kansas flat.
View Quote

Zanesville is on 70 in that area.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

As far as the nice landscape and small town feel, anything southeast of New Philadelphia starting around Carrollton, Lisbon, Cadiz and South from there.  Anything southeast of Columbus.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys. As long as I’ve lived in Ohio I really haven’t spent a lot  time outside the Columbus and Cleveland suburbs.  We have been to most of the usual vacation spots but not so much the less known areas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. As long as I’ve lived in Ohio I really haven’t spent a lot  time outside the Columbus and Cleveland suburbs.  We have been to most of the usual vacation spots but not so much the less known areas.
View Quote

I'm not a tourist area type but the hiking and stuff in Hocking hills is pretty popular and in the cool part of the state. Plenty of city comforts around Logan and Lancaster nearby.
I mostly just ride dirt bikes, and my club is in that area.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lake county is going to be suburbs unless you move very far east.  If you want rural but still convenient to get to Cleveland, go a bit further east to Ashtabula county or south to Geauga County.  If suburbs, shopping etc are your thing, Lake county is fine.  As for snowfall, it's OK, we have snow plows here.  Longest I've ever been snowed in is like 12hrs.   Well, except for the Blizzard of 78. That was like a week and I got a baby sister out of it.
View Quote

Living in Lake Co. I've spent 3-4 hours per day on a small garden tractor with a snow blower multiple times per week, several weeks per year.  Never mind all the shoveling, doubled commute times etc.  Since moving to Trumbull Co 10+ years ago, I sold the snowblower and have used the snow plow two or tree times.  When it does snow, it takes me the same time to shovel my drive as it does to plow with the tractor.  I opt for the exercise.  

Don't get me wrong, I love the snow.  I drive out west every year for snowboarding.  Many times per year driving to the "local" ski resorts.  I just don't want to see 6-8" of fresh snow every morning knowing my drive to work will be doubled.   Also, having direct assets to the Salt mines, the Lake Co winters will quickly destroy a vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Try the SE Ohio area around Marietta. Mild winters and plenty of rolling hills.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 3:16:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm primarily looking Shelby auglaize Miami (also kinda darke preble butler) counties.

Want a small farm ten minutes or less from the interstate. I really hope to be able to shoot in my own backyard.

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#28]
My goal is next year. It's time to GTFO
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm primarily looking Shelby auglaize Miami (also kinda darke preble butler) counties.

Want a small farm ten minutes or less from the interstate. I really hope to be able to shoot in my own backyard.
View Quote

I live in the NE part of Preble. Preble and Darke are conservative rural farm communities, very nice but lots of flat area unless you're near a creek.

The weather can vary a lot in winter from Preble to Darke or farther north. I-70 seems to be the dividing line.

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good for you. Let me know if you need any help.
View Quote

And here i was thinking of leaving the safes in this house.

Thanks neighbor!

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It’s the beginning of the foothills that run east into PA.

Granville, Newark, Mt. Vernon, Dresden, Coshocton.

Lots of rolling hills, Amish, and old school farming Ohio.

It’s a beautiful area, low on crime, big on values, it really is as close to God’s country as you can get in my opinion.
View Quote

but agree on everything else
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top