Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2021 7:06:33 PM EDT
Looking for some company to hunt morels.  I suck at it, anyone got a good spot around Stark or Tusk?  If you take me on a successful hunt I'll gladly give you some ammo...and I'll buy you lunch either way :)
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Skunked today again in Stark...

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never found a single morel in the wild.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Beware of falling ash trees.  It could almost be called unsafe to woods walk these days.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've found one - by accident.  It was just off of a multi-purpouse trail.  I've never actually hunted for them, mind you.  I do always keep an eye out, though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a coworker that would find them pretty often with his kids in the woods. He lived down near kings island
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not Stark county but may offer some thoughts. I have found 10 this year, right after the cold snap, all within a 15' radius of each other. Hunting the same area in the past it has been 8 or so years since finding in the same general location. In a wide fence row with a path mown down the middle, they were where I had already mown once this year.  Who knoes I may have mowed and scattered 1 then.

Things I look for-
Dead standing trees, ash or elm
May apples
Moist but not wet ground
I've had best luck in approximately 50/50 sun vs shade areas
Cool nights (almost frost) and mild 60s days

When I find them I carry them in a mesh produce bag, the thought being spread any spores. I also save rinse water and any trimmings to dump in a suitable area to grow the mushrooms for the future. I have gone out and marked them before picking and have never known them to grow any bigger or had more pop up in the same place. Their life cycle window seems very narrow, here today-gone tomorrow. All i can say otherwise is good luck.

I usually just pan fry them or put in an omelette. Perhaps others can share recipes?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies going again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
around here been killing it on elms/ash/cherry/especially if there are wild grape vines in the area.
north central  
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
around here been killing it on elms/ash/cherry/especially if there are wild grape vines in the area.
north central  
View Quote

Those vines are killing the tree. I always cut them but watch the poison ivy ??
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top