User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2020 7:19:57 AM EDT
Very concerning..

BFA artical
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds very bad for the deputy, but I'll wait for the facts to come out. Hopefully it gets super cold and the riots won't happen.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Cops are walking a tight rope anymore. Maybe the worst job anymore.

I like my LEO's in my town, and really like my sheriff, but man, these guys need to be a bit higher caliber as of lately. Pun not intended.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds very bad for the deputy, but I'll wait for the facts to come out. Hopefully it gets super cold and the riots won't happen.
View Quote

Yup, to be fair it usually takes months for all of the details to get out with stuff like this.  Of course the Sheriff's Department will be biased and so will the family of the young man who was shot.  I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to LEOs in the mean time.  They do an incredibly difficult job on my behalf and recent history has shown that almost all initial info with events like this tends to be skewed, usually in favor of the suspect.  I also don't expect any human to be perfect.  I expect LEOs to be reasonable and just but perfection is simply unrealistic.  

Whether or not this was a justifiable shoot there could be a whole shit-show coming as a result too. To your point, sub-twenty degree weather could be a calming element if it's in the cards.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The usual BFA complaining about the PD.   They along with the media need to wait till everything comes out before casting stones
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The usual BFA complaining about the PD.   They along with the media need to wait till everything comes out before casting stones
View Quote

Hmm, I thought it was very unusual for BFA to complain about the police.  I searched on the BFA site for other complaints of excessive use of force and didn’t find any, which is not to say there aren’t any.

If they’re so usual let us know which incidents you have in mind.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

@lovetohunt  If any of the things noted in the article are true I fail to see how this could be considered a good shoot.  Also, I personally don't know any ccw holders that think waving a gun around at cops is a good idea.  

We can only pray it gets cold and riots don't happens.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@lovetohunt  If any of the things noted in the article are true I fail to see how this could be considered a good shoot.  Also, I personally don't know any ccw holders that think waving a gun around at cops is a good idea.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. That's why I want to hear the whole story.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to sound rude, but you were tagged in this thread for some reason specific it seems.  Im just wondering what connections or insight you would have on this... ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not trying to sound rude, but you were tagged in this thread for some reason specific it seems.  Im just wondering what connections or insight you would have on this... ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only insight I have is what has been on the news.  It sounds like a bad shoot and the deputy is in some shit.  But that is coming from the media.  I see the FBI is now on the case. Who knows where this goes now.  I'm not accusing or defending anybody.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only insight I have is what has been on the news.  It sounds like a bad shoot and the deputy is in some shit.  But that is coming from the media.  I see the FBI is now on the case. Who knows where this goes now.  I'm not accusing or defending anybody.
View Quote

I would assume the FBI is involved more because he was working with the Marshals.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#11]
It doesn’t make sense that a CHL holder would go through the trouble to get a license, and risk having it taken away by waving a gun at a deputy.

If a guy broke into our home and was walking away from me with a gun in his handed, that wouldn’t be a justified shoot.

If Casey had Subway in one hand and keys in another, how could he be threatening anyone with a gun?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hmm, I thought it was very unusual for BFA to complain about the police.  I searched on the BFA site for other complaints of excessive use of force and didn’t find any, which is not to say there aren’t any.

If they’re so usual let us know which incidents you have in mind.
View Quote

Sgt. Holcomb (RIP, Ohio Highway Patrol) they tried to drag him in the mud when he was killed...
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It doesn't make sense that a CHL holder would go through the trouble to get a license, and risk having it taken away by waving a gun at a deputy.

If a guy broke into our home and was walking away from me with a gun in his handed, that wouldn't be a justified shoot.

If Casey had Subway in one hand and keys in another, how could he be threatening anyone with a gun?
View Quote

Keep in mind how many people get their "education" requirement fulfilled by people who offer online "classes" for all but the range requirements. I know that there have been some who were signing off on the range portion without ever doing anything.  Granted they get caught but just the possession of a license doesn't always mean that someone has been trained in any way.  I know of stories where "instructors" were busted for taking money and providing certification, no class, no test, no range time.  I'm not saying that this is the case here but it could be.  For all I know the guy was a model 2A supporter and all around great guy who I would have loved to have known.

Also keep in mind that the testimonial about Subway and keys in both hands is coming from his family who may be biased here.  Again, I'm not saying that is what happened but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Many folks turn their torsos when shooting starts which could account for shots hitting a person in the back which were justifiable at the time they were taken.  Again I'm not saying that is what happened but it could have been.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we don't even know what we don't know yet and any conclusions being made are being made based on what could turn out to be flawed information.  I agree that if what happened is exactly what is being presented then it was a horrible shoot.  I'm just saying that I've seen enough of these to know that what info comes out initially is often flawed or flat out wrong.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Did he also have a "noose" around his neck?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Did any of the report indicate whether or not the cop that shot him was in plain clothes or in an unmarked car?

Also I wonder if there was any radio communication from the officer to other officers while the event was happening

I guess we will find out the truth, hopefully

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Having a clean weapons man as part of your set is a thing.  Not saying this is the case here, but yes, it really is a thing.
View Quote

Yup, could be.  He could have also been a gun loving, 2A supporting, responsible and great guy.  We won't know all of the details for a while.

My point above is that in the initial days after something like this happens the "news" that we get about the incident is what witnesses and family are saying.  They could be telling the Gods-honest truth or they could be lying to advance an agenda.  The SO is not going to release evidence in what will surely be a coming court case.  When we get info from their internal investigations and hear the story play out in court we'll have much more to go on. For now it's "he said - she said."
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Also, the whole Shot in the back thing irks me a bit.  I think it's a hold over from 20th century western movies used to show some sort of malice or imply cowardice as in not a fair fight.

This is absurd and honestly has no value in law or practicality.  Gunfights are not paper targets that are stationary.  They move, twist turn and point in various directions and even move from the time the trigger is pulled until impact is made.  How many hunters were sure they shot the deer behind the front shoulder and hit it in the ass???

A cop or other lawful person may well shoot someone from behind or the side if they see that they are threatening or shooting at someone else and this is the fastest way to stop their murderous actions.  The movies are not reality.  In real life unpredictable shit happens.

I remain without judgement or conclusion until the investigation is complete.
View Quote

I can't find it right now but there is a video on YT about "Why the cops shoot people in the back"

Pretty much its a reflex time thing about when a bad guy in flight is running away, takes a shot and then bolts, the reflex time of the police to get the return shot off ends up in a shot to the back.

Unless there is camera footage of the cops gunning the guy down in the street while he is walking home with cookies then I always assume it is the previous.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#20]
The deputy is a minister at a local church. He described use of force as a "righteous release."

That sounds like another way to say "psychosexual gratification."
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#21]
What a sad day for this poor young mans family.  R.I.P.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top