Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2020 11:45:20 PM EDT
Update: 20210104

Dewine signed SB 175 into law!!!

hurray!

Governor DeWine Signs Duty to Retreat Bill

--------------------------------------------------

Update: 20201218

This is now a single bill, SB 175, and it was passed by both houses and is in Dewine's hands.  SB 383 / HB 796 were inserted into SB 175 in late night maneuvering in the House...

Great job everyone for getting on your Reps/Senators!

Now, we contact Dewine to urge enacting it into law:

Duty to Retreat Bill Passes - Goes to Governor DeWine's Desk

Instructions from the BFA article:

CLICK HERE to go to the Governor's contact page online.

Follow the directions below to send him a message:

1. Select "general" for the message issue.
2. Fill in your contact information.
3. Cut and paste this text into the "subject" line:
Sign SB 175 Civil Immunity and Duty to Retreat Bill

4. Cut and paste this text into the "message" box, or write your own message. Please be polite but firm.

The House and Senate have passed SB 175 and I'm urging you to sign this important bill into law.

Current law allows law-abiding people to defend themselves in their own homes. But out in public, a so-called "duty to retreat" puts victims of violent crime in harm's way by forcing them to seek a means of escape before defending themselves or their loved ones.

The amended version of SB 175 also provides civil immunity to nonprofit corporations, such as churches and charities, and persons associated with them for certain injuries, deaths, or losses resulting from the carrying of handguns. This fixes an oversight in the law which currently provides civil immunity to businesses and other entities.

This bill changes NOTHING in determining when use of lethal force is legally justified. It merely removes the perilous and unfair "duty to retreat" that puts the safety of violent criminals above the lives of innocent victims.

Please sign SB 175 into law immediately for the safety and protection of all law-abiding Ohio citizens.

View Quote

---------------------------------------------------------

Two bills, one in House, one in Senate - remove duty-to-retreat!

HB 796:
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-status?id=GA133-HB-796

SB 383:
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA133-SB-383

BFA Testifies in Support of SB 383 and HB 796 to Eliminate Duty to Retreat

Title edited {-safe1-}
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 5:33:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I submitted the emails via the BFA website and then called my Rep and Senator's office numbers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I submitted the emails via the BFA website and then called my Rep and Senator's office numbers.
View Quote

excellent!

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Duty to Retreat Bill SB 383 Passes Senate Committee

great news, ...now on the senate floor - we need to urge the senate to pass it now!

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Sent again!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Contacted. No doubt Antani will be gtg, not much doubt Lehner won't.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
i'm watching the house session (extended) right now 10:36 PM - Rep Koehler is introducing both bills as an amendment to another bill up for consideration on the floor!!!

http://www.ohiochannel.org/live/ohio-house-of-representatives
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#10]
democrats playing race card in arguing against the bills...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, the bills are approved as an amendment to SB175!!

...now calling the roll on passage of SB175!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Passes the House, 52/31!!!!

Yes!!!

SB175, passed, now includes the HB796/SB383 language!!!

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Title is very misleading.

It’s not a “Duty to retreat” bill, it’s a “Stand your ground” bill.

View Quote

I suppose you could call it a stand your ground bill. But it eliminates Ohio's "duty to retreat" - a term many people are familiar with. I knew just what the title meant when I read it and didn't think anything misleading of it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I've called and emailed my state rep and senator....no response of any kind.. for this topic/legislation or for the override of the veto for the Gov.   Not sure what the hell is going on in Columbus or wherever these guys are holed up, but its like the legislator has just gone silent and disappeared since the pandemic started.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#18]
End of day summary for yesterday from Jim Irvine former BFA president.

• SB 140 - Senator Uecker (Roegner has carried the wright after he left the Senate) permits manufacture and sale of automatic knives and clarifies that knives are not "deadly weapons" just for being knives, but they are if they are used as a weapon.
    It passed the House Thursday, is now an Act and is headed to the Governor.

• HB 425 - Rep Scott Wiggam. Repeal the duty to notify police and criminal penalties for a CHL not notifying every police officer on scene "promptly" enough in a stop. Awaits action in the Senate. If passed, it will go back to the House for concurrence.

• SB 317 - Senator Bill Coley - Clarify state law on school safety and security that was grossly misjudged by the 12th circuit appeals court. This bill should render moot a case before the Ohio Supreme Court, save schools districts thousands of $$$, and make all Ohio schools safer. Has been amended into HB 425.

• SB 175 - Senator Tim Schaffer - Immunity for volunteers on a church security team.

• SB 383 - Senator Terry Johnson (Companion legislation HB 796, Rep Kyle Kaehler) - Repeal Ohio's "duty to retreat" There was a floor amendment where this was added to SB 175. That bill was then voted out of the House and awaits action in the Senate.

• SB 360 - Senate President Larry Obhof - Protect FFL's and sale of firearms and ammunition from being closed by any government official. It was "informally passed" in the very early hours Friday (about 12:30am) and awaits action in the House.

• HB49 - Rep Dave Greenspan - Clarify that a CHL is a valid picture ID. No action is expected. This bill will likely die at the end of session.

• HB 248 - Rep Jena Powell - Align Ohio law with Federal law regarding antique firearms. There was an amendment to attach this language to SB 140. That motion failed. No further action is expected on this bill this session.

Both House and Senate are expected to reconvene on Friday to continue their work, and likely close out the session.

JLE
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Solid progress if they pass.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Headed to DeWine's desk

Is he going to sign this or continue to be a jackass?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Headed to DeWine's desk

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Headed to DeWine's desk

View Quote

If he thinks he can get more business shut down he'll sign it before bedtime...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#23]
updated OP to reflect recent developments, ..SB 175 contains the elimination of duty-to-retreat, and is in the hands of the Governor...
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#24]
 Contacted the Gov's office and let him know where I stand.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.unitedfinalexpenseservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/check-resized.jpg  Contacted the Gov's office and let him know where I stand.
View Quote

This.

Doesn't look like the votes are there to override a veto.

edit: Peggy Lehner (R) of course voted no. Just had to punch law abiding citizens in the eye one last time before she leaves.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.

Doesn't look like the votes are there to override a veto.

edit: Peggy Lehner (R) of course voted no. Just had to punch law abiding citizens in the eye one last time before she leaves.
View Quote

true!  fortunately, she's being replaced by niraj antani!
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Headed to DeWine's desk

View Quote
Message sent!
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
End of day summary for yesterday from Jim Irvine former BFA president.
  • SB 140 - Senator Uecker (Roegner has carried the wright after he left the Senate) permits manufacture and sale of automatic knives and clarifies that knives are not "deadly weapons" just for being knives, but they are if they are used as a weapon.
    It passed the House Thursday, is now an Act and is headed to the Governor.

Both House and Senate are expected to reconvene on Friday to continue their work, and likely close out the session.

JLE
View Quote

Hey,

I thought you could already buy/sell/make automatic knives (and gravity, and butterfly, and switchblades, and all sorts of other evil knives) in ohio... no?  I thought the only caveat was that the scary knives were "dangerous ordinance" and thus not allowed to be concealed on one's person.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hey,

I thought you could already buy/sell/make automatic knives (and gravity, and butterfly, and switchblades, and all sorts of other evil knives) in ohio... no?  I thought the only caveat was that the scary knives were "dangerous ordinance" and thus not allowed to be concealed on one's person.
View Quote

Dangerous ordnance is illegal to possess unless you have the right permit. Being concealed has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Dewine, the cock-knocker will veto it...

Worse fcukin mistake ever, voting this RINO into office..2022 can't come soon enough..

And I thought Taft was bad..

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dewine-asked-what-message-gun-bill-sends-in-wake-of-dayton-shooting/5HP6SAM3EFDQ5DWEGDCAD2HITY/?outputType=amp
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I could be wrong, but is there barely enough votes to override?

Could the threat of an override sway deswine?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't think there are quite enough votes in the Senate. A couple Senators would have to change their vote. And I'm not even sure if there's enough time for any further legislative action with the session ending soon.  We'll see.

DeWine is a complete and utter failure. Just sayin'...

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#34]
One other thing you try is to contact your local county Republican party chairman and let them know you want pressure on DeWine to sign these.

JLE
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dewine, the cock-knocker will veto it...

Worse fcukin mistake ever, voting this RINO into office..2022 can't come soon enough..

And I thought Taft was bad..

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dewine-asked-what-message-gun-bill-sends-in-wake-of-dayton-shooting/5HP6SAM3EFDQ5DWEGDCAD2HITY/?outputType=amp
View Quote

Any word from our State gun rights groups that endorsed this asshole?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Any word from our State gun rights groups that endorsed this asshole?
View Quote

Are you serious or just trolling ?

Scoring politicians by what they’ve done so far or what they say they will do is no guarantee of future performance.

Once politicians are in office they want to stay in office.  That means they answer to all the voters not just the ar15.com Ohio hometown forum voters.  All those people that oppose what we want get to vote too. Do you really expect a politician to commit political suicide for us ?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Are you serious or just trolling ?

Do you really expect a politician to commit political suicide for us ?
View Quote

If you want to define political suicide as supporting law abiding citizens that might be required to defend themselves against criminals, then yes, slit that throat. A majority of our house and senate members made that exact same decision and made the right one.

That said, a certain gun rights group in Ohio chose to endorse this guy against heavy criticism and concerns about his past voting record. They now need to own it, including his veto of this legislation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#38]
He was just on 700 WLW talking about how he's not happy that they haven't passed his gun control bills.  Of course the little weasel wouldn't give a straight answer when asked point blank if he was going to sign it.  Fuck that guy.  Taft, Kasich, and now this turd.  What a bunch of RINO asshats we get here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Once politicians are in office they want to stay in office.  That means they answer to all the voters not just the ar15.com Ohio hometown forum voters.
View Quote

Using your theory, should a majority want to ban gun ownership completely than the politicians had best get to banning. Stupid, and a complete misunderstanding of what politicians should be doing, defending our constitution, be it at the state or federal level.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Using your theory, should a majority want to ban gun ownership completely than the politicians had best get to banning. Stupid, and a complete misunderstanding of what politicians should be doing, defending our constitution, be it at the state or federal level.
View Quote

Just because I have a certain outlook on how things really are doesn’t mean I like it.  To most politicians guns are just another issue to keep voters voting for them.  They’re not going to give us everything we want since at that point they have no leverage over us.  Even anti RKBA politicians do this.  Yes, what they should do is write laws consistent with the constitution.  What they really do is what I’m talking about.

As for this bill, we might have had better success if not so much was crammed into one bill. But that’s another discussion ...

Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed frequently and for the same reason.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
As for this bill, we might have had better success if not so much was crammed into one bill. But that’s another discussion ...
View Quote

Or if they didn't wait until the last minute
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or if they didn't wait until the last minute
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Looks like Dewine is gonna sit on it until the last possible minute, then veto it.    

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Looks like Dewine is gonna sit on it until the last possible minute, then veto it.    

View Quote

I bet Mary Taylor would have signed it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe he has his finger in the wind.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#47]
folks, here's the quick form to inform dewine of your support for SB175:

time to hold dewine to account!  if he signs it or weasels out and sits on it, it becomes law either way...  only way it doesn't is if he vetoes, ..and that would be a pretty clear-cut egregious backstab on his part...  

Urge Governor DeWine to SIGN Senate Bill 175 and Remove the Duty to Retreat
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Hit it again.

Like you said, not signing is just as good as signing. If he doesn't have the balls to sign it, maybe with enough feedback he won't have the balls to veto it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#49]
yep, ..even if he weasels out and sits on it, ..it still goes into the "win" column for improving liberties in OH!

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Considering his atrocious record on human rights, I expect a veto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top