Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2013 6:29:50 PM EDT
There is a possibility I'm going to apply for a job at GE very soon. Part of it depends on the pay is like for that area. Here's some specific stuff.

- Tax rate for houses and land
- Cost of a house 2/3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms. Something fairly new and brick would be nice but I'll go for anything that doesn't need a lot of maintenance to look nice.
- Aynthing gun related. Mainly laws and ranges.
- Do they salt the roads or use sand in the winter?

Anything else you want to tell me about those areas?

ETA: If anybody works there, I might ask you some stuff if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be easier if you stated your price range for the house.  The rest of your questions are pretty open ended as well.  Check buckeyefirearms.com for gun laws.  There are for profit indoor ranges in the area as well as clubs you can join.  GE's production is in Evendale and their test facility is in Peebles which, as I understand it, is in the middle of nowhere.  You should be able to find some GE guys on this board over time.

The one question I can answer with certainty is that they salt the roads here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The price of the house would partially depend on how much I make. Something with 1400 - 1600 sq ft and a 2 car garage is what I'd like to get.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:31:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If the Peebles you are refering too is in southern Ohio, I know of a nice place within 30 min of there. IM me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend considering any area around the northern half of 275.  Blue Ash, Loveland, Mason, West Chester or Monroe come to mind pending on what price range you're after.  All are right off the interstate and within 30min drive with light traffic, although getting down 75 and 71 during rush hour can get backed up as well as the section of 275 between 71 & 75.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend considering any area around the northern half of 275.  Blue Ash, Loveland, Mason, West Chester or Monroe come to mind pending on what price range you're after.  All are right off the interstate and within 30min drive with light traffic, although getting down 75 and 71 during rush hour can get backed up as well as the section of 275 between 71 & 75.
View Quote

This^
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#7]
My dad works in Evendale for ge. As far as a house it's like anywhere else. You can find a house for 80k and up for something livable, taxes range from 800-3500 all depending on township and county.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is a possibility I'm going to apply for a job at GE very soon. Part of it depends on the pay is like for that area. Here's some specific stuff.

- Tax rate for houses and land Depends on the location you end up in.  10 mils is the maximum in Ohio, unless the electorate has approved of going over it.
- Cost of a house 2/3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms. Something fairly new and brick would be nice but I'll go for anything that doesn't need a lot of maintenance to look nice.

View Quote

I second every thing Notwen wrote except I would add Montgomery and Indian Hill (if you can afford it) to the list.  Indian Hill has a municipal shooting club, and provisions to allow deer hunting within the city limits, if you're into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

- Tax rate for houses and land

View Quote

I've lived in Evendale now for 4 years.  Love the area and location.   Prices on houses are steep in some area.  Older homes are about 150k and newer homes are up to 800k.  It fluctuates significantly depending on which end you live.  Taxes aren't bad at all.  Their roads in the winter I will say are one of the best. In fact from my experience Indian Hill is the only place better for keeping roads clean.  The Village amenities are outstanding.  Example, I pay 90$ a year for my family to have access to the pool, basketball courts, racquet ball, tennis courts, workout room, ect.

Gun related...Chief does sign off on NFA items....
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I second every thing Notwen wrote except I would add Montgomery and Indian Hill (if you can afford it) to the list.  Indian Hill has a municipal shooting club, and provisions to allow deer hunting within the city limits, if you're into that sort of thing.
View Quote

Wait list for Indian Hill Shooting Club is still months, maybe years, for non-residents, but they do accept non-residents.  No wait list for village residents.  Housing is pretty pricey in the village.

There's a private indoor range in Blue Ash (Point Blank), one being built in Newtown (One Shot), and I won't mention by name the piece of shit range in Sharonville.

What kind of job for GE, OP?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help. I'll take a look online at houses in the areas that some of you mentioned. Are there any long distance ranges around the area? Something 500+ yards.

Quoted:

Wait list for Indian Hill Shooting Club is still months, maybe years, for non-residents, but they do accept non-residents.  No wait list for village residents.  Housing is pretty pricey in the village.

There's a private indoor range in Blue Ash (Point Blank), one being built in Newtown (One Shot), and I won't mention by name the piece of shit range in Sharonville.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd prefer to be involved in the manufacturing, test or inspection processes. I like the hands of type stuff. I've been looking into first line supervisor type positions too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Peebles is a very small town in a rural county. Houses can be bought for much less than in greater Cincinnati. The test site is not actually in Peebles it's in the middle of nowhere between Peebles and Rarden. If you're serious about living in this area send me a message sometime. I'll show you around. I've lived in the same county as Peebles almost my whole life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:39:00 AM EDT
[#13]
You would actually consider leaving SC for OH?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Generally speaking the Cincinnati, SW Ohio area is one of the most affordable areas in the US to live in. It's all relative. That being said you don't want to live in the Springdale or Evendale area. Sorry but that's just my .02. If you make it up this way you will quickly see what I mean when you compare areas. GE is right off I75 and you can easily be in Butler County, Mason, West Chester or Liberty Township in no time flat. You can get a lot house for the buck in these areas. The schools are a lot better if you have kids. I live in Liberty Township and some of my friends and neighbors are Engineers and managers at GE. There are a lot of GE folks up this way.
Roads get salted in the winter and you never know what the weather will be. Most summers are hot and humid. Last winter wasn't bad at all and this past summer was awesome.
Ohio has 3 temperature zones. Ours is the best as far as Ohio goes. As the weather moves east it picks up the southern effects from the Ohio river valley. There's an old saying around here, If you don't like the weather in Cincinnati just wait a minute.
Ohio taxes are middle of the road, we are gun friendly and extremely confused in politics.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]
If you move here and are ready for a gun show avoid Bill Goodman's Gun Show at the Sharonville Convention Center. Small venue and extremely crowded.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Generally speaking the Cincinnati, SW Ohio area is one of the most affordable areas in the US to live in. It's all relative. That being said you don't want to live in the Springdale or Evendale area. Sorry but that's just my .02. If you make it up this way you will quickly see what I mean when you compare areas. GE is right off I75 and you can easily be in Butler County, Mason, West Chester or Liberty Township in no time flat. You can get a lot house for the buck in these areas. The schools are a lot better if you have kids. I live in Liberty Township and some of my friends and neighbors are Engineers and managers at GE. There are a lot of GE folks up this way.
Roads get salted in the winter and you never know what the weather will be. Most summers are hot and humid. Last winter wasn't bad at all and this past summer was awesome.
Ohio has 3 temperature zones. Ours is the best as far as Ohio goes. As the weather moves east it picks up the southern effects from the Ohio river valley. There's an old saying around here, If you don't like the weather in Cincinnati just wait a minute.
Ohio taxes are middle of the road, we are gun friendly and extremely confused in politics.
Good luck.
View Quote

+1 ,  I also live in Liberty Twp (Lakota Schools) and know several guys who work at GE.  1 lives in West Chester and another in Liberty Twp both areas are Lakota Schools.  But people who work in Evendale live all over the place.  Located off I-75 it is 30 minutes from a lot of places, traffic or not.  And unless a wreck blocks the highway the traffic is nothing compared to some other cities.  And at GE, you could work 6:30-3:00 or 7:00-3:30 and have NO traffic.  I have a friend does fuel tests that works that kind of shift at Evendale.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wait list is over 3 years for non residents and housing is very expensive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You would actually consider leaving SC for OH?
View Quote

Yes. I have family in Alabama and the Chicago area along with a few other areas around the US. One biological parent lives in IL and the other in AL. Somewhere around Cincinnati, Southern Indiana and Kentucky should be a nice halfway point. I also prefer colder weather. Eleven years of my military career was spent working on aircraft engines.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top