Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2012 11:32:31 AM EDT
Is there a shortage of local instructors,(Greater Dayton area)  I am very interested in becoming an instructor. i have extensive military fire arms training including USMC range saftey officer, but nothing civilian. what i would like to know from Ohio instructors is, what classes do I need to take and where can I take them. I am already planning on taking some NRA classes (range safety and other related classes) but I would like to get qualified to teach.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to attend a NRA instructors class given by an NRA training counselor in your desired discipline.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

You can look on the NRA website to search for one in your area by zip code. I attended mine earlier this year and the cost for handgun was around $250'ish if I remember correctly. It not bad at all and you will be required to pass the written and firing portion of the instructors course to be a certified instructor. Once you pass you will wait to receive your instructor certification. After you receive it you can then teach the Ohio CHL course.

Also you can take the NRA Range Safety Officer course at home and test out for the NRA RSO once you pass the certified instructors course if you desire that certification as well. Its easy and I did mine rather than attending another class somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
JK has summarized it nicely.  The state is awash with CHL instructors, though.  US military experience has little to do with the required NRA instruction methods and course syllabus.

–– Chuck

As Chuck said there is no bonus points for LE or military but the training counselor will likely want to make sure you have a knowledgeable firearms background to be an instructor.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top