Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 4:39:27 PM EDT
I have checked all the gun gunshops in the Toledo area and nobody has a 30mm lapping bar.
They all have 1" but no 30mm.
What's up with that?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot help with the lapping bar.  Maybe see if ADCO can do it?

On another note,  lots of traditional folks in those stores.   Not a lot of truly tactical people.   Just  last year I had a gun shop worker tell me he had never heard of 30mm scope rings.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I know what you are saying.
I just couldn't believe Clelands didn't have a 30mm bar................nah come to think about it I am not surprised at all.
But you know Toledo is just one of those towns that anything even slightly out of the perceived ordinary is not understood or excepted, unlike many other cities.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, you can buy a high dollar lapping bar or you can buy a piece of 30mm drill rod (it's what drills are made of).  Drill rod is accurately ground to diameter.  Hardware and industrial suppliers, both local and online are your sources.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
While I am not an expert at scope mounting non of the four 30mm set ups I have done lately have had any issues.  None of them were lapped.  Buying quality components is key.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree about quality components , but you can buy the most expense matched scope rings and if your base isn't perfectly true then your high dollar rings aren't going to be perfectly aligned.
I have a new Savage 10 FCP-K .308 and during installation of a EGW 20 moa HD one piece base I noticed the top of the receiver (action) wasn't perfectly true ( not uncommon).
So I bedded the base to the receiver and even though the base now fits nicely and true I would still prefer to lap the rings just to go that extra mile.
So in summary unless your receiver is perfectly true and you buy high end matching rings, I believe most scope installations could benefit from lapping the rings.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top