Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:34:54 AM EDT
I haven't lived in the area in quite some time (Clinton was President) and have a  question.

My 61 year-old mother, for the first time in her life is wanting to obtain her Ohio CHL, a Non-Resident Utah CHL and receive handgun training in the Springfield area (Urbana, Beavercreek would be acceptable as well).

Can anyone recommend a good person/place for her to work with?  

Thanks y'all.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The Utah license will limit you some.
I (and many others) used to be a Utah instructor until they started requiring you go to Utah to be certified.

You can check here: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-CCW-Instructors to find some contacts in your area.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I (and many others) used to be a Utah instructor until they started requiring you go to Utah to be certified.

You can check here: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-CCW-Instructors to find some contacts in your area.

Utah Non-Res was only so she could carry here when she visits
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Utah Non-Res was only so she could carry here when she visits

I took Safety FIrst based out of Springfield several years ago the first time I took training, mostly because they were the cheapest around at the time. Training was adequate but mediocre. Most of the stuff they taught wasn't super relevant anymore (IE Obsolete), but still worked. I've since heard sorta bad things about the school.

I took my OPOTA academy firearms training from a guy who has a buisness teaching civilians on the side. The guy is a retired Capt from Trotwood, commanded their swat team for 6 years or so, and retired from service after 20+ years. He taught the basics of CCW, the legal aspects, and we spent a fair amount of time learning to shoot from various positions through/around a barricade that forced us to think before we shot. If you want his contact information just get ahold of me. I know he teaches at a place that's just south of the I-70/I-75 split, so it's a bit farther from Urbana/Springfield, but the training is leagues better than Safety First was.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Anywhere but Safety First.
JMO
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anywhere but Safety First.
JMO

Point taken.  Thanks!

However, looks like it's not an issue anymore.
We are sorry, but Safety First Personal Protection has ceased operation.  We'd like to thank all of our students over the past years.
For inquires about the domain names SafeCCW.com and SafetyFirstCCW.com, please write to cc @ CAT.cc.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably got shut down.
I took my so called training there, what a joke. 120 people crammed into a room, they were in it for the money.
Good thing I had read up on everything before and already knew how to handle a firarm as they sure didnt teach you much there
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top