Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 4:49:33 AM EDT
I would like to have a sign made that we can bring to all our gatherings that displays some ground rules.  Please give me your ideas for rules, and how they should be written to get the point across with the fewest words. The sign will be aluminum with vinyl lettering.  I was thinking Yellow background with black letters.

Please provide your input.  Your feedback will allow this to evolve into a comprehensive and concise list of ground rules to help ensure a safe and fun shooting fest.

Range Rules - Your life and the safety of others depends on your responsible behavior
1) Keep all firearms unloaded with action open and pointed in a safe direction.
__Only approach the firing line with a firearm while the range is hot
2) Load weapons ONLY at the firing line with muzzles pointed down range
__You may load magazines anywhere, but only insert them into gun at firing line
3) During Cease Fires, the range is cold:
__Unload and make safe all firearms, leaving the action open.
__Do not handle firearms during cease fire periods
__You may load magazines, but do not insert them into a gun
__Disassembled firearmss may be handled and worked on
4) Eye and Ear protection must be worn at all times while the range is hot
5) Everyone must call a cease fire if they observe a safety violation
6) Act responsibly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that is all you need.

I would just define "unload and make safe" as:

- Magazine removed from firearm
- Action locked open
- Chamber visually verified clear

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Ranges that are serious about safety have the following rule during cease fire (or cold range)

No handling of weopons OR AMMUNITION, period, during cease fires.

The temptation to slap that magazine you just loaded into the gun and drop the bolt is apparently too much for some people, and not handling ammo during cease fires removes this issue.

Nothing yanks your nads up quicker than hearing a bolt slam home while you are downrange setting targets.

as usual, my .02
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I think we should be allowed to stuff mags during cease fires.  You load magazines away from the firing line, and away from the firearms.  No problem.  (May have to clarify that mags should be loaded away from the firing line in the above rules sign.)  I agree that firearms should NOT be handled at all during a cease fire with people down range, that is very disconcerting when you are down range.  But to extend that to ammunition, and to magazine loading, is crossing over into range Nazi territory.  We are not idiots, and don't need to treat ouselves as such.  We may have been a little too casual at Miller's in the past, but we don't need to make up for it by being overly tyrannical now.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nothing yanks your nads up quicker than hearing a bolt slam home while you are downrange setting targets.

Yeah, unless it's hearing gunshots while you are downrange! I've seen it happen....even once down at Knob Creek! Kenny had a conniption.
Cincylance

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think we should be allowed to stuff mags during cease fires.  You load magazines away from the firing line, and away from the firearms.  No problem.  (May have to clarify that mags should be loaded away from the firing line in the above rules sign.)  I agree that firearms should NOT be handled at all during a cease fire with people down range, that is very disconcerting when you are down range.  But to extend that to ammunition, and to magazine loading, is crossing over into range Nazi territory.  We are not idiots, and don't need to treat ouselves as such.  We may have been a little too casual at Miller's in the past, but we don't need to make up for it by being overly tyrannical now.  

I agree, loading mags is 100% ok with me. If we try to rule every last potential danger away, we'll end up with Spring Valley and a bunch of guys shooting single-shot 1 at a time with a RO looking over our shoulders.

The #1 thing we need is diligence, that not only will we self-police but keep our eyes open and not be afraid to say something when you see a potential problem. And, further, to not be offended or angered if you get reprimanded. I've had my peepee smacked for being stupid, and I deserved it.

If we're observant, especially with new faces and new shooters, we will get along just fine.

Oh, let me add one rule Jeff while I'm thinking about it:

7: swingset is the coolest guy on the range, everyone should take notes when he's schooling the group with his awesome shooting prowess.

It's ok that you missed that one, sometimes we forget the obvious stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
don't get all hot and bothered.  My opinion on ammo/mags during cease fires is just that, my opinion.  I surely am not trying to impose my viewpoint, just throwing it our there.

I will further point out, however, that the more people involved in a "casual" shoot, the more potential for misunderstandings and dangerous conditions.  Everyone just needs to be more observant and cautious than usual.  

From other threads, it appears that some sort of volunteer range officer schema is evolving.  This may address some folks' concerns.

I am more worried losing all my guns in a tragic boating mud-related accident.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think we should be allowed to stuff mags during cease fires.  You load magazines away from the firing line, and away from the firearms.  No problem.  (

I agree, loading mags is 100% ok with me. If we try to rule every last potential danger away, we'll end up with Spring Valley and a bunch of guys shooting single-shot 1 at a time with a RO looking over our shoulders..

Make that a +3 from me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
How about

This isn't your momma gun range clean up after yourself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Stuff the mags at the rear of your area,  some people usually have chairs there, sit down and load up.  

Like IPSC,  maybe assign a "SAFE AREA"  behind the fire line  over at the fence, 90* to the fire line.. for  firearm service/inspect  during  "cold range time".

Open carry of firearm should be done safely,  I would prefer to see rifle carried by the forearm (hand holding stock far away from trigger) with the muzzle up in the air, I'm not much for muzzle down at ground thing.    

Had to ask  a fella to point his shotgun in a safe direction over at Fish & Game sunday.... dipstick was standing at rear of table in grass (ass to berm), and muzzle 45* behind fire line, stuffing shells into it.

IF  I can make it,  is there a  "QUIET"  time, for those with suppressors who want to share/swap to compare sound signature/tone for people to hear ??
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Im sure that could be arranged with all the cans that will be there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
How about designating a range safty person or maybe 2?  Just an extra set of eyes
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You can't completely mitigate the risk of accidents, even with all kinds of range supervision. I've seen that proven during many days on the ranges in active duty and guard service. I think there should be a happy medium, because part of the fun of shooting with this group of people is the lack of rigidity. I agree we should have some ground rules consisting of basic firearm safety rules, but even some of the rules discussed won't work, such as having the action open (some rifles have no bolt hold-open feature, like AK's), and handling of firearms on a cold range (due to the fact one large fun fact of our gatherings is indeed showing each other our guns). The size of the range also makes that last one iffy, such as shooting at Swingsets place, as the firing line is very close to the cold line.

I do think a common sense sign should be posted at our gatherings, and that people be asked to abide these simple rules (whatever they end up being). Swingset said it best in saying "If we're observant, especially with new faces and new shooters, we will get along just fine."
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm guilty of not saying anything when I saw unsafe handling. If you see it say something politely. I always check before handling a firearm, it's just how I do it. We need to keep this loose, or it won't be fun. Constructive comments will only help. We are the Black Sheep of the shooting community, lets keep it fun AND safe. We all make mistakes, just be nice when you point it out.   We don't need to scare anyone away with range nazis, we need to stick together, god knows there is enough people who think we are crazy for or hobbies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
As usual, I choose the wrong words,  maybe just a 2nd set of eyes to watch over the big picture.  The last think we need is more safty nazi's anywhere.  I was at swingset's shoot and had a blast.  I even brought my wife who actually enjoyed shooting her first uzi. (bummer now I need to buy her one, life really sucks )  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would prefer to see rifle carried by the forearm (hand holding stock far away from trigger) with the muzzle up in the air, I'm not much for muzzle down at ground thing.    

That is about the only thing I disagree with.  I think a weapon should be pointed down range or into the ground.  If there is a ND with the weapon pointed skyward.  That round is coming down somewhere.  I would rather shoot myself in the foot than a little kid playing in their backyard a couple of miles away.  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top