Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 6:46:59 AM EDT
The Buckeye Firearms Association has exposed the OCAGV.  Read up on it at www.buckeyefirearms.org

Post here with your thoughts.  The article is just a little bit down the page.  Looks like Toby Hoover is getting nicely paid...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]

And there it is. True grassroots constituency versus an abstract, invisible public. Again, from that same 2004 Dayton Daily News story:
"The grass-roots effort, I would say, is the most important effort in the legislature because that causes representatives to be delegates of their district. They are hearing the call of the people back home," Aslanides said.

Since Taft became governor in 1999, his office received 41,938 faxes, letters and e-mails from supporters of carrying concealed weapons and 3,732 faxes, letters and e-mails against it. Taft's office began tracking telephone calls on the issue in late 2000. Between 2001 and this week, his office received 5,910 calls for it and 1,664 calls against it.

State Rep. Ed Jerse, D-Euclid, a vocal opponent of the concealed-carry bill, said the gun-rights grass-roots movement scares politicians because gun advocates can unleash a torrent of opposition in an election.

"I think that people are more influenced by the grassroots mobilization — the fear that the group is going to target them in a race. It's very much a wedge issue, it's a swing issue, it's an issue that can influence the swing voters," Jerse said.
No matter how much money outside organizations throw at Toby Hoover to help her prop up the image of her abstract public, the truth is that pure grassroots activism is going to win the day every time. That's because the gun rights lobby is run bottom-up, by volunteers, and funded by small, individual donations. Even the venerable NRA is only “big” because it has 4 million members paying $35 per year. And its lobbying clout comes from its ability to fill congressional mailboxes, fax machines, and phone lines with messages from voters, not from big money or mystical powers.

You sure wouldn't know this from the everyday coverage of gun issues in Ohio.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Collin, can you explain the various parts of your organization?
What exactly is buckeyefirearms.org, ohioccw.org, etc?

How do they differ?  How are they the same, etc?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
www.ohioccw.org is Ohioans For Concealed Carry, an issue-specific organization that most people here are familiar with.

Buckeye Firearms Association was at one time known as Ohioans For Concealed Carry PAC.  OFCCPAC split off from its parent organization earlier this year and is working on general firearms issues.

I work with both organizations.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Buckeye Firearms Association was at one time known as Ohioans For Concealed Carry PAC.  OFCCPAC split off from its parent organization earlier this year and is working on general firearms issues.

That's what had me confused.  I knew there was a ofcc PAC organization, but I didn't see it anymore.
I have donated, and will continue to do so.  I certainly appreciate your efforts.

I kind of wondered if ohioccw.org would go away or transform into a more broad gun rights organization.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
No, Ohioccw.org (Ohioans For Concealed Carry) is alive and well.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
3 comments about this...

First of all, I'm not shocked or surprised by the revealation that any anti-gunner is a scumbag...least of all Toby Hoover.

Second, I'm impressed with the depth of investigation by the BFA, good work.

And, lastly and unfortunately, until this story is reprinted in its entirety in a few Ohio major newspapers, it will fall on the ears of the choir, where it does no good at all. It's great that we know the truth, but it's the sheep that need to know they're being led astray, not us.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And, lastly and unfortunately, until this story is reprinted in its entirety in a few Ohio major newspapers, it will fall on the ears of the choir, where it does no good at all. It's great that we know the truth, but it's the sheep that need to know they're being led astray, not us.

Then maybe flyers should be printed up at the local Kinko's or whatever copy place is handy, and passed out on the street, put under windshield wipers at Kroger, Meijer, Wally World, wherever.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top