Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 3:05:56 PM EDT
I went to the parsons ave krogers today to do some shopping and was stopped at the front door by the special duty police officer. (Columbus police Sgt. , Williams maybe) He informed me that even though I have my CCL and the store had no signs to the contrary, I did not "need" to carry in that store. The officer was very agressive and appeared to not know what a CCL was. He told me that I could leave my firearm in the car "just as easily" (Why would I leave my gun in the car in the ghetto where they need a special duty at the front door?) I procceded to take my money elsewhere. I have already called kroger and the manager said that he did not know of a no CCW policy, but that he would check and get back with me (he also did not know the officers name). Why do we have officers on the street that don't know the laws at all on such an important subject? I can under stand not knowing some obscure law, but the NEW CCW laws, give me a break. Looks like now I have nowhere to do my shopping anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
How did he know you were carrying?

BTW that Kroger is totally in 'da hood.  I wouldn't shop there regardless of their CCW policy.  That place is scary.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell was the officer doing at the front door?

Carry anyway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoulda said "Thanks for your 'opinion'" and gone on into the store.

Screw 'im.

Fluggin Montgomery Township Constables....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm curious how he knew, also.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Were you on your bike? If so, that explains the "how he knew".

I would have proceeded to go into the store - press the issue. You're 100% in the right. If the store isn't posted, and hasn't specifically asked you to leave, then you're good to go.

Fuck the ignorant badge.....people that don't know the law, but are paid to enforce it, make me furious. I know every detail about my job, because that's what they pay me for....I expect no less from the popo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
He knew I had it because I asked him if there was a sign. I know, don't be so lazy, just walk to the door and look. I just didn't want to have to park, walk to the door and have to turnaround and go somewhere else if they where posted.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
 It's called concealed for a reason

Dude I use to work in that hood, and I would not be in there unarmed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I know. but its pretty hard to shop when you won't go to the commie places. Really I feel like an ass for not walking in (or for asking in the first place for that matter) but I also don't need a long heated argument with a police officer, right or wrong. We (my family and shop) have a pretty good relationship with the columbus police and they really do a good job, but this kind of stuff makes me wonder. I guess it comes down to people, everyone has a different oppinion and we have to respect theirs too. (this guy was clearly ANTI civilian armament) He didn't tell me that I could not go in, but he was very agressive and it was clear that if I went in there would be a problem.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I work down the street from there at Parsons & Whittier.  You really do need to carry down here.  I'd press the issue with Krogers and the city for that matter.  Who the hell does he think he is.  He probably barely qualifies with his gun and feels insecure against your supierior firepower.   Most CDP I've met here could care less about the law abiding carriers.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
but he was very agressive and it was clear that if I went in there would be a problem.

I guess there would have to have been a problem then.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Krogers called me back today and reaffirmed that they will allow legal carry in their stores, unless it is one of the few locations that does wine tastings. The manager told me the officer went beyond his scope and that they would talk to him. Krogers was very polite and helpfull, and did say sorry for the inconvenience.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent!  An Ohio business that knows how to run their business!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#13]
If that Cop said that you didn't need to carry in the store you should have asked him why he was carrying outside the store?  It really smokes me that Cops think that just because they are on the job and their job affords them the ability to carry a firearm they are special and just because I am not a Cop I don't deserve the ability to protect myself or mine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Amen, brother!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#15]
If I am reading right, it sounds like you would have gotten into more shit than necessary.  No use having a situation escalate with a "bad" cop.  What if you went in anyhow, and the cop attempted to arrest you for not identifying yourself as a CHL holder that is armed? (I'm assuming you didn't show him your CHL, or actually tell him you were armed.

Better to go the route you did.  Confrontation with a cop rarely ends good, unless you have a good attorney.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Kroger's gets almost all our grocery dollars, and for people that know me that adds up to some serious loot , because of their policy to allow CCW for CCW permit holders.

When CCW in Ohio first came to be some store managers posted their own signs without corp approval, many people sent letters, made calls, I believe there was a thread here, sure enough Kroger issued a statement to the stores to take the signs down, they were not authorized to make such decisons on a local level, that was to be left up to corporate.

And Kroger corp trusted us to CCW on their private property.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#17]
That's awesome

It's a split for us between Meijer and Kroger's, usually depending on if we need any non-grocery items or what time of day it is.   Kroger's has better meat and prices though.

Pudwak, what's their contact number or email that you used?  As much as I hear about people letting companies know their disapproval with anti-ccw policies, I'd like to start letting the ones that support us know how thankful we are and that they are getting our business.  Speedway gets about $600/month from us for the same reason over UDF, whose signs are still up around here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's awesome

It's a split for us between Meijer and Kroger's, usually depending on if we need any non-grocery items or what time of day it is.   Kroger's has better meat and prices though.

Pudwak, what's their contact number or email that you used?  As much as I hear about people letting companies know their disapproval with anti-ccw policies, I'd like to start letting the ones that support us know how thankful we are and that they are getting our business.  Speedway gets about $600/month from us for the same reason over UDF, whose signs are still up around here.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If I am reading right, it sounds like you would have gotten into more shit than necessary.  No use having a situation escalate with a "bad" cop.  What if you went in anyhow, and the cop attempted to arrest you for not identifying yourself as a CHL holder that is armed? (I'm assuming you didn't show him your CHL, or actually tell him you were armed.

Better to go the route you did.  Confrontation with a cop rarely ends good, unless you have a good attorney.

I did inform him and show him my ccl (as the law requires) It didn't change his attitude at all.
As far as a contact #, I just called the store and spoke nicely to the manager who in turn called corp.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did inform him and show him my ccl (as the law requires) It didn't change his attitude at all.
As far as a contact #, I just called the store and spoke nicely to the manager who in turn called corp.

WOW!  Good for Kroger, if only everyone else knew how CCW was supposed to work.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Was the po-po carrying a Glock Foe-ty?

eta:  Our son spent his 1st week at Children's Hospital.  We stayed at the Ronnie McD house.
Security (off duty SHP) told us to call for a ride:  said DO NOT walk across the street, call for a ride.

Knowing the 'hood around the hospital we always called for the ride.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top