Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/7/2005 12:31:10 PM EDT
I grew up here and after visiting these past few months I can't wait to get the fuck out.

- MOST of the women are ugly

- Everybody has an attitude

- If I see ONE more Woody Allen clone driving a Saab here I am going to fucking lose it.

Now for the featured rant...

I have 2,000 rounds of XM-193 coming up so I have the green light to hit the range. There is ONE private range in the Cleveland area that permits rifles. It's $12/hour, but $18 if you bring a shotgun or a high-powered rifle (and time is strictly enforced). Being the only show in town I graciously acquiesce and bring an AR, an AK, & a 1911 over. Then the real shit hits the fan...

After learning the contents of my bags the clerk asks to see the mags. I show him the mags and he says "you've never shot here before, have you?" He then spreads out a copy of the range rules and proceeds to tell me the ones of interest.

"No FMJs". OK, I'm sure it wears on the backstop but I have fired rifle in a 100' indoor range countless times before and I know it can be done. It's their range though and their rules, so I understand, But there's no way in hell I am going to pay gun shop prices for ammo so that rules out today (and if FMJs apply to pistol it rules pistol out altogether)

Single shot operation ONLY for rifles In other words, ONE round in the mag, shoot, and reload. Now I'm going WTF? "If people could shoot rapid fire there'd be holes in the ceiling." Ahhh, so you can be a responsible shooter with a pistol, but as soon as it's a two-fisted boomstick the shooter turns into Charles Bronson... a lot of fucking sense that makes.  Of all the places to have ignorance about guns. That soured me from ever using this range. Imagine paying $18/hr to fire single-shot in an indoor range! That would cost an arm and a leg to expend the ammo, to say nothing of the nightmare of the reloads and the unfun nature of this "recreation".

"No Headshots" OK, FUCK YOU. It may be your range and rules, but telling someone what they can shoot at in terms of paper that the customer bought is insulting beyond belief. I don't care if it has to do with people missing and hitting the roof, or if it's a stick-in-the ass adherance to some belief that chest shots are defense, head shots are murder. The point is The customer bought the paper and maybe he wants to get the full use out of it, before having to shell out another $2-3 for another one. I happened to glance at this one on the sheet, so I kept it to myself. The guy made the boss out to be the bad guy so I was civil with him, but there will be a phonecall tomorrow, believe me.

Since there are NO other private ranges (meaning within 30 min, that acommodate rifles, and/or that will admit you w/o an annual membership) I did some homework. It turns out that you cannot shoot on public land anywhere in OH and there are NO law enforcement facilities open to the public. The best I could come up with is a 100 yard outdoor public range that is 40 min away, and the sad thing is that as miserable as this area of the state is regarding guns and shooters, I'm rather grateful.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
How far are you from the Grand River state range in Farmington?  The OH crew gets together once in a while to go shoot there.  The annual pass is $20 or something.

PS...After moving to NM, I appreciate OH women more.  

PPS...Attitude...?  Try going to Long Island.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Stonewall really sucks, huh???
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually Ohio is arguably the bestest state on the continent. Ohio's manufacturing, medical and scientific breakthroughs, school systems unmatched by any other state as well as having both kings island and cedar point make it by default the best state in the US.

As far as pretty women are concerned just ask Dr. Joann Fitzer of Roanoake Veirginia about her study concerning the topic. In her 2003 study on which state had the prettiest women she concluded that Ohio easily outdone Idaho and Kentucky which came in 2nd and 3rd place. In her summory at the end of her study she surmized that not only did Ohio have the prettiest women but the men were the most well endowed.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stonewall really sucks, huh???

It took me all of two sentences to figure that out too.

Unfortunately, Grand River is closed until March.  I supposed A&A might be open if you want ot head out that way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]
the no headshots thing is pretty funny. I completely neglected that rule and so does everybody else. The one shot at a time thing is pretty stupid and there are ALOT of ranges all over the USA that have that rule.

I'f your still aroung next spring I'm sure we'll be gettign together out at grand river. You cannot rip off a whole mag real fast, but you can load it all the way up and shoot as fast as you want as long as your keeping the hits low on the burm and accurately fired. Also you can meet many of the locals. We are not be the prettiest people in Ohio but we are a fun bunch that does like to tie on the feed bag after a day of shooting. And trust me anyone who brings fun toys to shoot and plenty of ammo won't get any attitude, except from mmsig, hes just grumpy sometimes.  You will get envy though if engineer shows up with his toys.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Have not been out to A&A in a long time..  Do you still have to get a teatnus shot before going?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow!!! Those are some pretty outrageous range rules.  I'm guessing that is your last visit there?

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
but the men were the most well endowed.

Hey, I was involved in the study.  Unfortunately, I was considered atypical.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually Ohio is arguably the bestest state on the continent. Ohio's manufacturing, medical and scientific breakthroughs, school systems unmatched by any other state as well as having both kings island and cedar point make it by default the best state in the US.

As far as pretty women are concerned just ask Dr. Joann Fitzer of Roanoake Veirginia about her study concerning the topic. In her 2003 study on which state had the prettiest women she concluded that Ohio easily outdone Idaho and Kentucky which came in 2nd and 3rd place. In her summory at the end of her study she surmized that not only did Ohio have the prettiest women but the men were the most well endowed.

No Offense, but have you ever left this God forsaken state yet? I grew up here, left when I joined the Army in '82, back for a year, got sick and left for good. I am back right now to make the last few years or less of my Grandfather's life a little more bearable. As soon as he kicks it, I'M OUTTA HERE for good. You couldn't drag me back to live in this hell hole. Arizona is it for me. BLM land, bump firing, head shots, open carry, CONCEALED CARRY in a car when you have a concealed permit <shakes head>. The list goes on. Have I mentioned it's warm there?

Ohio is not my idea of a Tropical Paradise, even though it was my birthplace. I still think the USAF museum at Wright-Patt kicks ass and while I am here, I will visit as often as they will let me....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The one shot at a time thing sucks ass and there's no good reason for it that I can think of. (Other than some people can't hit anything rapid fire)

OTOH, the no head shots rule MIGHT be to try to keep the hits on the center of the bullet traps. I work at an indoor shooting range outside of Columbus, and we have to have the no headshots rule to keep the target carriers and track system from getting shot up, and to keep the bullet impact towards the center of the traps. Over the long haul shooting the top ramp of the bullet trap tears it up. Traps on most indoor shooting ranges actually have a pretty narrow "impact" area.

My 2 cents,

Rick
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, the USAF sent me to Texas for my 4 years in the service but now that my 4 years is over I'm moving back to Ohio.  I'm hoping I can find some good ranges in Ohio.  The one I go to here in Texas is open all year round, its outdoor and they really don’t give a crap what you do so long as you’re not stupid safety wise.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I think when you take your first shot with a gun, and that smile hits your face, you should be told the 5th rule of firearms ownership is "Start your savings account to buy some land to shoot on".

With ranges tightening their rules, closing down and becoming so PC as to allow nothing that resembles fun (notice range rules often favor nothing but sighting in?), it's really the only reasonable prospect if you want a lifetime of firearms ownership and enjoyment.

Think about it. Some of us don't think twice about spending $5,000 a year on guns. That would buy a piece of land in some parts of this state big enough to shoot on. Granted, it might be an hours drive from Cleveland, but it'd be worth it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think when you take your first shot with a gun, and that smile hits your face, you should be told the 5th rule of firearms ownership is "Start your savings account to buy some land to shoot on".

With ranges tightening their rules, closing down and becoming so PC as to allow nothing that resembles fun (notice range rules often favor nothing but sighting in?), it's really the only reasonable prospect if you want a lifetime of firearms ownership and enjoyment.

Think about it. Some of us don't think twice about spending $5,000 a year on guns. That would buy a piece of land in some parts of this state big enough to shoot on. Granted, it might be an hours drive from Cleveland, but it'd be worth it.

Good point, but I would rather buy more guns and just make the 25 min drive to your house where I shamelessly leech off of you by using your range.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I used to feel that way about Ohio as well.

Then I moved to Texas.

Never going back if I can help it.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to feel that way about Ohio as well.

Then I moved to Texas.

Never going back if I can help it.

TXL

I know it must be tough Txlewis. You dont want to come back so your not reminded of how great it was here and thats perfectly understandable.

You know what they say though, "everythings bigger in Ohio"
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no desire to leave Ohio, weather is, ummm, iffy at times but other than that I love it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#19]
This is better than living in Kommiefornikate, I'll give it that much.

But I want nothing more than to move back out west again. Northern Idaho, NW Wyoming, or SW Montana would be the best. I cant convince my wife that we should move to Texas, I dont want anything to do with the Left Coast, and Colorado is getting more like Kommiefornikate every day it seems.

The entire time I was growing up, we never ONCE had a blackout during the winter. It never ONCE rained, then froze. If there was any precipitation, it was snow, because it was too damn cold to rain. And I LIKED it that way. I miss skiing, too. Actual skiing, not this crap they call skiing here, which is like the bunny hills on the mountain I skied on, with the added benefit of man made snow.

I'm hoping I can fix up the house and pay off a couple bills, finish school, and get a job offer out west. That happens, I'm gone and never looking back.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Nice try Johnny. That is a direct quote from the AAA travel guide.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious? That came straight from the top of my head...no joke.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I really did make that up. Theres no way in hell you can find that same text word for word. IF you could that would just be creepy
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, just the part about us being well endowed is in the AAA travel guide.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#25]
No arguments about Cleveland.  But move just a little west and south in the state and its another world!!   Had to got into Cleveland yesterday, I dred it everytime.   But Im a refugee from NY so maybe thats why I like Ohio.

Oh and I let my membership at Kilbys expire because they kept yelling at me "1 shot every 8 seconds"   Ya anyway I work my pistols allot faster than that!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top