Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 10:55:55 AM EDT
Welp, went to the fairgrounds gun show today.  Things were a little thin, and no deals I saw to brag about, but then - today was the 2nd/last day for this month.

Bought some flares there, saw a pretty nice AR halfways reasonable but nothing to brag about.  I was looking for a used Glock 26, and saw 1 brand new one, but that was it.

Ran into Hessian-1 there, and talked to a couple guys over lunch about the upcoming election.

Anyone else here go and see anything special?  I've been going to this show for a lot of years, and it seems like as far as buying things and deals go, it's going downhill.  

One guy and what must have been his wife had a  whole table of "assault weapons".  Every one of them just about had a "preban" handwritten label, but they were all post ban / no-ban.  Had the "evil" features, but were new products.  Forget educating some of these people, I'm sure I would have just rained on his parade.

Mournsword
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Welp, guess Hessian and I were the only ones to show...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I went.  October shows can be thin.  Still lots of 'outside' stuff going on.  That's why I only got there on Sunday.  The other thing that hurt the number of table holders is the crackdown on sales tax.  Members were notified that there would surely be a visit by the tax police.  This has the effect of deterring some folks from setting up.  Too bad.  

Stuff that was a no-no due to Clinton's '94 ban are still seeking their own price level.  It's going to take a while.  The mag situation seems to be getting better as stuff gets more widely distributed.  Choate has announced they are going to produce their folding stocks again.  It's all good.

I bought one of the H&R M12 .22 training rifles and a set of Redfield sights.  Now I need a Merit adjustable disc for the rear sight.  I was also tempted by a like new 10" Browning Buckmark Target model with scope.  It sold just as I was walking back to the table for a second look.  Almost picked up a case of Port .308 and then I remembered the reason I was off work for most of last week was because I put my back out.  Maybe next month.

If the election goes right next month, I think folks will relax a little.  You can invest in some stuff that is'nt going to get banned/regulated.  That's my two cents.  November 2, remember to flush the 'Johns'.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I went.  Found a used matt black Aimpoint 3 in very good but used condition for $35 with box, papers and all the spares.  
I am finishing up building a Bushmaster H-bar flat top.  This looks pretty good sitting on top of it.  Hope to pick up a sling, vortex FH and BUIS at Knob Creek this weekend to finish it out.

I try to hit the Lima show 3-4 times each winter.  Same with the BG show.  I usually find sonmething worth the trip at each one.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I went and was told to be careful of the tax police too. Was told by two people that the man was giving tikets to presons walking around carrying  3-4 guns. Would ask if they where for sale and then ask for thier venders lic. no lic. get a $300 ticket.WOW. Was told this by two dealer I know. Also  the ammo man from Kettering Ohio was set up there and he said that the U.N. was pressuring other nations not to ship ammo and guns to the U.S. . He said that after the new year that about the only ammo to be had will be new U.S. made commerial. The only country telling the U.N. to stick it is Russia. If you find good surplus ammo buy it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I  drove down only because I orderd a 8lb can of W231 & primers from AtoZ, and didn't want to drive to Indiana to get it or wait untill Tim is up in Birch Run,MI.

I also bought some Barnoul .223 $3/box, Garand clips for 3/$1, and a like new 10/22 for $130.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I was there too.  Went on Sunday towards the end so my dad could buy some reloading equipment which he will probably never use (gotta shoot first!).  A coworker of mine had a booth set up selling some silly self forming earplugs so I shot the shit with him for awhile.  He ended up having a Glock 22 on his table that we bought for my brother.  I try to make it to the show every month since I live here...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw the guy doing the earplugs.  He is not usually there.  I watched him do a set for someone, thought it looked like too much time, money, etc...

Was interesting though in a way.  MournSword
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I saw the guy doing the earplugs.  He is not usually there.  I watched him do a set for someone, thought it looked like too much time, money, etc...

Was interesting though in a way.  MournSword

That is the first time he has done the show.  He is working for custom earpiece but decided to try his hand at making the earplugs.  He tried to get me to let him make a set for me and I said no.  Not sure they would be worth it.. the foamies are fine for me.  The earpieces he was selling are top notch though...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Did anyone have any brass catchers?  I'm looking for the pistol type you valcro to your hand.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't see anything like that, but then, I wasn't looking for it either so could have missed it.

MournSword
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Havent been on this board in a while, so excuse the slow response.

I went on Saturday. Let go an SKS thats been taking up space in my safe. Didnt see any gun deals I was really interested in, except maybe a few Garands. DID see the butt-fugliest thing I have EVER seen, sitting on a dealer's table. The new Beretta carbine, whazzitcalled? Storm or some damn thing. I stopped to look, same way everyone slows down to look where there is a nasty wreck on the Interstate, and the dealer starts giving me his schpiel.  Talkin about, "this takes high caps and yada yada", I just said "Yeah, but its a Beretta", turned and walked away.

Ammo was a whole different story, though. Picked up 500 rounds of M193, dont remember the price but I'm pretty sure that the out-the-door price was a little lower than what I've seen it for online, not counting shipping.

My crowning achievement, though....

One of the ammo guys had some overpriced .308 on one side of his table, the Malaysian stuff IIRC. I walked around to the other side, found some more .308, in boxes, in ammo cans. But lo and behold, this stuff was German. Yup yup, the DAG ammo. Havent gotten a chance to try it out yet, and when I do its gonna be jello testing one or two boxes, the rest gets saved for a rainy day, but I believe that I scored some of the .308 that fragments like the M193 does.

14 boxes, plus the ammo can it came in, for $40. Got about 6 more boxes of Port .308 for another $20. I wasnt going to get it at first, but I guess the guy wanted to get rid of it, and my wife encouraged me to buy it.

I think I'll go back next month and see if he's there again with more DAG.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top