Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 12:01:10 AM EDT
can they be held legally responsible for your safety to and from that building?

IE:"prime outlets" has signs posted at the parking lots..

so they are disarming you before you get there. ohio's law say they cant be held responsible "if" a CHL holder is shooting on the property, but what if they post signs and a non-chl starts shooting?
are they now responsible since they disarmed there employee's and customer's?

can they also be held legally responsible for there customers and employees safety to and from the time they leave there house?

my company is doing this same thing now, and I'm trying to convince them not to, but they want facts to back up what I'm saying..

can anyone help?

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No.

When this started back in April, I mentioned that Ohio law gave immunity to companies that allowed, and did not allow.  But others said that Federal would allow for them to be sued?  Any comments on that level?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been assuming I could unoad the mag and transport the firearm through old non-ccw Ohio rules in such places (really I just avoid them but...).
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
read this...

2923.126(2)(a)
A private employer shall be immune from liability in a civil action for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that allegedly was caused by or related to a licensee bringing a handgun onto the premises or property of the private employer, including motor vehicles owned by the private employer, unless the private employer acted with malicious purpose. A private employer is immune from liability in a civil action for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that allegedly was caused by or related to the private employer's decision to permit a licensee to bring, or prohibit a licensee from bringing, a handgun onto the premises or property of the private employer. As used in this division, "private employer" includes a private college, university, or other institution of higher education.

What is Ohio Open Carry?
The Ohio Supreme Court ruled in September of 2003 that carrying a firearm "openly" on one's person (not in a vehicle) is a fundamental individual right recognized by the Ohio Constitution. There is no state law that prohibits open carry. Following this ruling, supporters of OFCC staged numerous open carry "Defense" Walks as a means of displaying the folly of a law that allowed open carry with no restrictions or licensing, but that banned concealed carry with extensive restrictions.

·  Does Ohio's CCW law impact Open Carry?
Absolutely not. This legislation has never restricted or limited open carry, and based on the Ohio Supreme Court decision it is feasible that any effort to restrict open carry would be illegal.

The Attorney General's office has stated as follows:
Sir,

There is no truth to the statement that having a concealed weapons license means you have forfeited the ability to carry openly. No one in the attorney general's office should have or would give such advice.

Mark Gribben
Director of Constituent Services
Office of Attorney General Jim Petro

the devil is in the details...

it spacificly says "the licensee cant sue" but with open carry you dont have to be a licensee

that meens that any company that wont let you cary is NOT immune to a law suit from any NON-licensee  both to and from and at there place of buissness...

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#5]
any thoughts on what i said?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
They say no fire arms in the parking lot of my work place. Can they legally bring dogs in and if the dog lights up on my car, search it for "contraband" ie  fire arm, dope, what ever they may find after the dogs alerts?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder the same thing about my job, they shouldnt have the right to say what you can & cannot have in you personal vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top