Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 6:29:47 AM EDT
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=169148

A few weeks ago I posted a topic looking to see if there was any interest in getting together a group to complete some 80% lowers.

Well, after no takers, I went ahead anyway.

So is there any interest now?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry I missed your first thread. Been wanting to try this for quite some time. Would like to get together if your not to far away.

I live in Dayton.  You?  Let me know.

glimmerman68

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Working on one know - Sandusky = Thank You , Conley
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
A buddy and myself might buy 2 each soon. Im sure both of us already have all the tooling needed. I think I can get dimensions off this site. It definitely seems the way to go if youve got the time and tools.

Congratulations
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:11:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in a suburb of Cleveland.

If you have any questions about the process, let me know.  I am just about done with lower #2.

There are things that I will do differently when I do the next round.  

Bob
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats nice of you to offer Bob. I may take you up on it this fall/winter

Brian

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd be interested, depending on when and how much time I knew ahead so I could plan.  (That's if the offer is open to me, which is more than decent of you!!)

I like getting together with other people of similar interests, as there don't seem to be many around me here!!  MournSword
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I might be in.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I need to give this a try. I like 'tinkering' with things. Sometimes they even work after I'm done.

Always nice to have another one 'off the books'.

Being able to say 'I did it myself' is worth a lot as well.  

I just finished building an A2 .22 LR for my nephew tonight. Started with stripped receivers and bought/built one part at a time. I thought it would be good 'practice' for when I finally get around to building one literally 'from scratch', as you guys are discussing.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:24:37 AM EDT
[#10]
There is great satisfaction in assembling an AR that is all yours...  you completed the machining and finish, no numbers, not on anyone's books...

I have assembled both lowers with parts kits and tested for function.  The inside of the fire control well needed to be ground out almost 0.040" to accomidate the trigger.  They match up pretty good to my Oly upper.

I am to the anodizing step.  I have everything I need, it is just a matter of getting everything set up.  Maybe this weekend.

I have an OSI super jig.  It worked well with my drill press at home.  The most time consuming parts involve filing out the mag well to size and fitting the top plane to match the upper receiver.  Drilling and reaming the various holes really doesn't take long at all.  It's all the filing and fitting that does.

I would be happy to assist anyone looking to do one.  I have everything needed...  drill press, transfer punches, drill index, reamers, taps (including the 1 3/16-16), files, clamps, etc.  I'd really like to have a little mill, but I can't sneak that by the wife...  

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
NW ohio, depending on the date, I am interested in taking you up on your offer. I missed the bravo build in Illinois.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top