Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2023 11:59:11 PM EDT
I'm an out-of-stater (MO) hoping to visit Yosemite National Park this summer. Can I keep a handgun in my vehicle while I'm in California? What are the rules?

Every answer I've seen on this is conflicting. Some sites on Google say legal with no stipulations, some say illegal, some say legal IF you have the handgun in a locked container.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
No mags over 10 rounds, no threaded barrels, keep it in a locked case in the trunk.

Keep your mouth shut and don't say anything about it.

Check the park, some you can't bring guns in.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weapons.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
What he said, plus -

The glove box and center consoles are not allowed as storage.  If you do not have a "trunk" (most SUV's do not have trunks) just put it in the back.

The handgun MUST be unloaded.  Ammunition/magazines may be in the container with the handgun but they may not be attached to it or be in it.

You are going to love Yosemite!
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate leaving my weapon secured in the trunk, but sometimes it has to happen.  To make double sure, get a box that can tether to the chassis/unibody somehow.  

From;
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/faqs
California Firearms Laws Summary pdf

See pages 15 and 16 regarding Criminal Storage.
These criminal storage offenses (first, second, or third degree) shall not apply whenever the
firearm is kept in a locked container or locked with a locking device that has rendered the
firearm inoperable. (Pen. Code, § 25105.)

Also;
Handguns
California Penal Code section 25400 does not prohibit a citizen of the United States over 18
years of age who is in lawful possession of a handgun, and who resides or is temporarily in
California, from transporting the handgun by motor vehicle provided it is unloaded and stored in
a locked container. (Pen. Code. §§ 25610 and 25615.)

The term “locked container” means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a
padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a
motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. (Pen. Code, § 16850.)

Put all of that together and you should be covered,  but I'm not an attorney.
But I did watch Law and Order last night
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 1:38:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Unloaded, meaning no ammo in chamber, cylinder, mags that are actually inserted into the gun and from which the gun can be fed, etc.  Loaded mags, ammo attached to gun from where it cannot be fed, etc. are all fine.  Only the gun itself needs to be locked in a container.  Sometimes I just have it in a backpack with a small luggage lock on the zipper.  The trunk or a lockbox inside of a compartment like the utility box (but not those things themselves directly) count as locked containers in and of themselves.  No need to separate ammo.  It can even be on your person.  Gun can be in the passenger compartment and its container accessible.

Unfortunately, it cannot be carried this way outside of a vehicle unless you meet destination requirements and you are not in a State, county, or municipal park which prohibits possession or restricts it severely.  If you have a campsite someplace other than one of those locations that will constitute your temporary residence, that should meet destination requirements as long as you go straight to and from your vehicle and the campsite.  When at your campsite you can openly or concealed carry without a permit, loaded or unloaded, but have to stay within your actual campsite.  

California has no duty to inform.  I strongly suggest that you do not volunteer to LE that you have a gun nor have any sign of its presence visible.  CA has a special "exemption" under its laws to the sort of rights covered by the 4th Amendment when it comes to guns so that an officer may ensure compliance with transport requirements (make sure it is being stored/transported legally and is unloaded) and it can make a stop end up turning into something more.  Unless you have a CA carry permit, they can search your vehicle for this purpose.

No hi cap mags or threaded barrels or anything that otherwise is considered an assault weapon under CA law (like an AR pistol, unless it is fixed-mag with only ten rounds or less capacity).  Title 2 AOWs with stamp are okay if ban compliant.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
When i go to ca i just unload gun and put in locked case.Thats the simple answer in the park just keep it locked up good to go
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like I can also bring my unloaded/locked handgun into my hotel room or AirBNB where we'll be staying?

Can I unlock it and keep it loaded there as well?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Once you are in your hotel room/airBnB/camp site, the firearm can be loaded and kept on your person, even concealed.  

Do not go into any public areas in your hotel or campsite with a loaded and/or concealed firearm.  Open carry is not legal in California.

Yosemite is a National Park.  Be sure you understand the Federal National Park laws before you show up at the Ranger's Booth at the Park's entrance.

For me, the issue is this.  I do NOT like to leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle.  Vehicle break-ins are a real problem, both by humans and by bears.  

If you have a firearm with you in your car, you then have to decide to either take it with you when you go for a hike (possibly violating the law) or to leave it locked inside the car (an unsecured firearm).

I will leave it up to you which you chose to do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The glove box and center consoles are not allowed as storage.
View Quote

What about if it has a console vault?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried a cocked and locked 1911 IWB in that park. It's all legal if it is out of sight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like I can also bring my unloaded/locked handgun into my hotel room or AirBNB where we'll be staying?

Can I unlock it and keep it loaded there as well?

Thanks
View Quote

Of course.  It's the same as being in your home.  Carry is unrestricted in any private property open to the public where you have permission or a right to be absent some stipulation about being armed, as well as any place that is treated under the law as your abode, which can include your campsite.  Open, concealed, loaded, unloaded, on body, off body, it's whatever you want.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The glove box and center consoles are not allowed as storage.

Allowed, and there was a recent change to the law to make this easier IIRC due to cops having problems (meant to benefit law enforcement but it is generally applicable).  I'll have to look it up and see what the details are.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Once you are in your hotel room/airBnB/camp site, the firearm can be loaded and kept on your person, even concealed.  

Do not go into any public areas in your hotel or campsite with a loaded and/or concealed firearm.  Open carry is not legal in California.

Yosemite is a National Park.  Be sure you understand the Federal National Park laws before you show up at the Ranger's Booth at the Park's entrance.

For me, the issue is this.  I do NOT like to leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle.  Vehicle break-ins are a real problem, both by humans and by bears.  

If you have a firearm with you in your car, you then have to decide to either take it with you when you go for a hike (possibly violating the law) or to leave it locked inside the car (an unsecured firearm).

I will leave it up to you which you chose to do.
View Quote

That's not really true.  Open carry is legal in any unincorporated area where discharge is not unlawful.  Open carry in your campsite is legal (although what constitutes your campsite is limited).  If you're far enough out into the boonies it effectively does not matter anymore, really.  There are other circumstances where open carry is allowed as well, and also concealed carry.  California has never eliminated all of the carve-outs, exceptions, etc. for open or permitless carry.

Out in the boonies, legal or not, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's not really true.  Open carry is legal in any unincorporated area where discharge is not unlawful.  There are other circumstances where open carry is allowed as well, and also concealed carry.  California has never eliminated all of the carve-outs, exceptions, etc. for open or permitless carry.
View Quote

As stated, the context was that of being in your hotel or campground and leaving the confines of your room/campsite and going out into a public area (lobby, washrooms, parking lot,...).

It is interesting that open carry is still legal in some places.  I'm pretty sure an out-of-towner might have some difficulty understanding the boundaries of an "unincorporated area".  Certainly, I do not and there are no signs.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As stated, the context was that of being in your hotel or campground and leaving the confines of your room/campsite and going out into a public area (lobby, washrooms, parking lot,...).

It is interesting that open carry is still legal in some places.  I'm pretty sure an out-of-towner might have some difficulty understanding the boundaries of an "unincorporated area".  Certainly, I do not and there are no signs.  
View Quote

I've had to consult maps. There are public land maps for some counties, like San Bernardino, that show those unincorporated areas where discharge is lawful. Some counties have a lot of land like that, and some have very little. A lot of it is Federal land of some sort or another.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's basically places you can shoot.

There are some places where shooting is seasonal, due to fire risk. I'd avoid open carry there when it's a fire closure. I'd still CCW my Shield.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top