Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2021 1:31:15 PM EDT
Hey guys, it's your resident Serb here.

Per recommendations, posting this in Cali hometown forum, since GD tends to be useless sometimes.

Now, almost 2 years to date since the last time, I again have a shot at visiting the States this upcoming Sept. Due to work, I will be based in LA (San Fernando Valley) for most of my trip.

Any recommendations on what to do/see within driving/sleepover distance from LA?

Last time, I wasn't able to meet up with any of the members unfortunately, due to work taking up most of my time, but this time it should be way better. Interested in going shooting (is there anything more American to do?) in any way or form, since I missed it last time.
On my last trip, we were able to visit Vegas and SF, and both were cool, but our time there was very limited (1 day each).

I will be accompanied by the missus for the trip, so looking at couple-friendly stuff as well, hit me up with any recommendations you have. Coming from a 2nd world country, so budget is something to consider, I won't exactly be rocking helicopter tours and the like.

Also, if there's any members looking for any Yugo/Serbian memorabilia/militaria, or would like a magnet/postcard/whatever from here, hit me up in DMs and I might be able to mule stuff for you. Also, if you want to grab a beer/go shooting, I'm down.

Pic for attention
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything interesting gun/military related to do in Cali? I am planning to hit up Fleet Week in LA, USS Midway museum in SD...
Would love to go shooting, visit a gunshow of some kind etc... Anything you think sounds like fun
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a daughter's wedding coming up in early October so will likely have little discretionary "free" time.  The Ronald Reagan Presidential is quite close to the San Fernando Valley, just a little ways west on the 118 through Simi Valley.  Not sure your schedule but the Hollywood Bowl still has a number of concerts scheduled in September.  Universal Studios is open again.  It's a movie based amusement park with themed rides, tours, dining areas.  Some parts compare favorably to Disneyland and it's right on the south edge of the Valley. City Walk is a nearby separate shopping and entertainment center.  It's likely to still be hot through September but it's not far to drive to the coast at Ventura and a drive north to Santa Barbara is easy - an early start to avoid some of the traffic is probably a good idea.  There's shopping, wining, dining and touristy stuff in Santa Barbara. Just over the mountains from Santa Barbara is the Santa Ynez Valley.  Several small communities, it's a pleasant agricultural and touristy area, lots of vineyards, wineries, tasting rooms, also lots of dining, breweries, etc.  Lodging prices do go up for weekends.  It's pretty popular and a non weekend day or two might be less crowded and less expensive to stay over.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything interesting gun/military related to do in Cali? I am planning to hit up Fleet Week in LA, USS Midway museum in SD...
Would love to go shooting, visit a gunshow of some kind etc... Anything you think sounds like fun
View Quote

Fleet Week is worth it.  The battleship Iowa is there, too.  Gun shows out here are kinda lame these days.

Lots of outdoors stuff to do in SoCal if you're interested in that sort of thing.  We have deserts, mountains, forests, beaches, lakes, and more.  Checking out a trail that's not too hard like the one to the Bridge to Nowhere could be pretty neat for you.

Also, IME, shooting on a nice spot on public land out here is way better than going to a range, if you can get someone to take you.

I'm starting a new job soon that'll have me at sea for a few weeks at a time, but if my time off coincides with your visit, I'd be happy to take you shooting, whether at a range or out in the desert.

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have a daughter's wedding coming up in early October so will likely have little discretionary "free" time.  The Ronald Reagan Presidential is quite close to the San Fernando Valley, just a little ways west on the 118 through Simi Valley.  Not sure your schedule but the Hollywood Bowl still has a number of concerts scheduled in September.  Universal Studios is open again.  It's a movie based amusement park with themed rides, tours, dining areas.  Some parts compare favorably to Disneyland and it's right on the south edge of the Valley. City Walk is a nearby separate shopping and entertainment center.  It's likely to still be hot through September but it's not far to drive to the coast at Ventura and a drive north to Santa Barbara is easy - an early start to avoid some of the traffic is probably a good idea.  There's shopping, wining, dining and touristy stuff in Santa Barbara. Just over the mountains from Santa Barbara is the Santa Ynez Valley.  Several small communities, it's a pleasant agricultural and touristy area, lots of vineyards, wineries, tasting rooms, also lots of dining, breweries, etc.  Lodging prices do go up for weekends.  It's pretty popular and a non weekend day or two might be less crowded and less expensive to stay over.
View Quote

The Santa Ynez mission was cool to visit, and so is Solvang, if he decides to go up there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll send most of them to the missus, since we should be somewhere within San Fernando Valley.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fleet Week is worth it.  The battleship Iowa is there, too.  Gun shows out here are kinda lame these days.

Lots of outdoors stuff to do in SoCal if you're interested in that sort of thing.  We have deserts, mountains, forests, beaches, lakes, and more.  Checking out a trail that's not too hard like the one to the Bridge to Nowhere could be pretty neat for you.

Also, IME, shooting on a nice spot on public land out here is way better than going to a range, if you can get someone to take you.

I'm starting a new job soon that'll have me at sea for a few weeks at a time, but if my time off coincides with your visit, I'd be happy to take you shooting, whether at a range or out in the desert.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've never been to a gun show, so even a lame one would probably be cool in my book.
Love the ideas about the outdoorsy stuff, but we will be limited when it comes to time and gear for any serious hiking/camping unfortunately.
And yeah, hitting a public land range would be awesome if I get the opportunity. 2 years ago, I was trying to coordinate with one of the members here to visit a 3gun competition on the stage prep day, but the plans fell through due to my work getting in the way. I should be in LA throughout September, with the last week or so of my stay being the R&R one, while still having to pull 9-5 for the rest of the month.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Are there any good surplus/outdoor/tactical stores in LA/SD areas that you guys would recommend I check out. Here, it's hard to find some random trinkets (like Ozark Tumblers), so I am looking to make use out of my limited budget and buy a few thinks that are hard to find/expensive here. Already have a Skeletool that I bought on black friday just waiting for me to land
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Out closer to my area, in Pomona (a good drive from where you'll be at, though), there's M&I surplus.  Not sure how good they are these days, as there's a lot less surplus and a lot more ChiCom new production junk at most of these kinds of stores, but it's always been a bigger and better one than the few others around here.  I think there's another big one southeast of there, but I forget what it's called (I think the location is in Chino or Ontario, somewhere off of the 60).

Not sure about tactical stores.  I don't think I've been to one out here.

There's a Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga and also a couple of REI stores (I think there's still one in or near Monrovia, and one in Rancho).
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
LA Police Gear.   There's a store in Valencia (quite near Magic Mountain, just off I-5 as you head north out of the valley).  They are tending to be clothing oriented in the stores, uniforms for local agencies, some "tactical" gear but much is theirs and that tends to the budget side, some belts, packs, mag pouches, duty belt gear, etc., flashlights, knives, etc.

Tactical Pro Shop in Burbank.  Been in their a couple of times.  Broader selection of brands, somewhat more tactical.  Clerk were obnoxious.  "If I saw you wearing that, I'd shoot you."  Settle down hot stuff.  You're a store clerk.  I just want to know how this mag pulls out of this pouch and that belt feels compared to that one.  

Bass Pro is a very large outdoor sports store centered on hunting and fishing.  Might be worth a visit if heading through the Inland Empire to the desert or mountains, etc.  Otherwise, not too close to the San Fernando Valley.  Not sure of anything similar in the area.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Solid recommendations, thank you all for those
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Had to change my trip plans due to Idiot in Charge. Do you guys know how hard it is to fly to USA without having a layover ANYWHERE in the EU. Even with a negative test  and vaccination proof, still cant have a layover anywhere but freaking Qatar.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're interested in fishing, try a 1/2 day trip out of Newport Beach.
They run about $90 /person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top