Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2021 8:00:27 AM EDT
Best friend of mine, from childhood, for some reason loves living in your state (San Mateo County). Has been there 15 some years now.
I keep telling him, he could experience some freedom in his lifetime, in another state. He works in education and has a ways to go before he can retire.

Any who, I'm sending him (via local CA FFL) a Gen 3 Glock 27, 5 x 9rd 40sw mags, Glock Sport holster, 9mm barrel, 1 x 9mm 10rd mag, 300rds of 40sw - mixture of JHP and FMJ, 150rds of 9mm FMJ. I'm calling this a 15 year late wedding present.

He has never purchased a gun in CA. What can he expect?

Can he expect to take the ammo home when he completes the paperwork for the handgun?

Or will he have to leave the ammo with the dealer for the 10 day waiting period?

Is the Glock case w/ cable lock a sufficient case for transporting the pistol to his home?

I see it mentioned in other threads that loaded magazines are kosher but the pistol needs unloaded in a locked case.
Can loaded mags be stored in the case with pistol or do they need to be outside of the case?

Any tips / tricks on the locked case? I know Master Lock now has a fast combo lock:
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-1500iD-Directional-Combination/dp/B002TSN4SQ/

Can he carry without a CCW license in National Forests - hiking / back packing? Does it have to be open carry?
How about kayaking?

Gun pic:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Best friend of mine, from childhood, for some reason loves living in your state (San Mateo County). Has been there 15 some years now.
I keep telling him, he could experience some freedom in his lifetime, in another state. He works in education and has a ways to go before he can retire.

Any who, I'm sending him (via local CA FFL) a Gen 3 Glock 27, 5 x 9rd 40sw mags, Glock Sport holster, 9mm barrel, 1 x 9mm 10rd mag, 300rds of 40sw - mixture of JHP and FMJ, 150rds of 9mm FMJ. I'm calling this a 15 year late wedding present.

He has never purchased a gun in CA. What can he expect?

Can he expect to take the ammo home when he completes the paperwork for the handgun?

Or will he have to leave the ammo with the dealer for the 10 day waiting period?

Is the Glock case w/ cable lock a sufficient case for transporting the pistol to his home?

I see it mentioned in other threads that loaded magazines are kosher but the pistol needs unloaded in a locked case.
Can loaded mags be stored in the case with pistol or do they need to be outside of the case?

Any tips / tricks on the locked case? I know Master Lock now has a fast combo lock:
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-1500iD-Directional-Combination/dp/B002TSN4SQ/

Can he carry without a CCW license in National Forests - hiking / back packing? Does it have to be open carry?
How about kayaking?

Gun pic:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Es_g27_jpg-2038041.JPG

View Quote

It's kind of convoluted.  The ammo system checks against the state's firearms records systems, the federal NICS system does not accommodate states checking for anything except firearms purchase purposes.  So while one might be receiving (purchase, whatever) ammo and firearm(s) in what seems to be the same set of transactions, you've got to establish firearms eligibility before you can establish ammo eligibility.  Turns out what one of the easiest ways to establish ammo eligibility is buy a new firearm.  It is possible but costs more and still takes time to establish ammo eligibility separate from having a current firearms purchase.  I don't know if the record updates to start the delivery clock or at the end of the wait so not sure when the ammo might be available.  It will take a trip to the ffl to initiate the paperwork and a trip to take delivery of the handgun either way.  I don't believe you'd get the ammo on the first trip, starting the sale/DROS process because the record for the firearm wouldn't be established at that point.  

The state DoJ/Attorney General sites has information regarding the necessary paperwork for firearms/ammunition purchases or transfers.  So do many firearms vendor sites.  I would suggest going to a site like "Turner's Outdoorsman."  At the bottom of their webpage, there's a large blue banner section.  Look under local information.  It has all the information needed to walk through firearms and ammo purchases or transfers.  (I have a love/hate relationship with Turner's - one or more are convenient to me but I've often found better pricing, etc., elsewhere.

You should be aware that there are state fees for these actions and the ffl/ammo vendor may have their own fee structure to do transfers as well.  I'm not sure the current level of "business," some licensees were swamped by doing their own sales and transfers and may be unable or unwilling to do some sorts of private transfers.  I haven't tried for a while but haven't been seeing lines out the doors for a while, either.  Coordinate with the ffl before starting the effort.

I don't know if that's an "On Roster" handgun.  Check that first.  Somebody will likely be along that can tell you.  I just didn't look.  If off roster, you can not transfer it to him.

I don't know if a locking device is required as a part of a private transfer as opposed to a new sale.  For transport, practically any sort of case that fully encloses the handgun will suffice.  It has to be locked.  There's a decent DoJ firearms law summary which covers these sorts of things.  Ammo doesn't have to be locked for transport.  Magazines can be loaded.   You can't have a loaded magazine in the firearm.  They can be in the same container.   The idea being that a driver or passenger doesn't have immediate access to a loaded handgun, so one needs to unlock the container to get to the handgun and then load it.  

Container tips?  Discrete, keep it hidden if possible.  Thefts from vehicles are a real problem so one might want to attach the container to a sturdy part of the vehicle but you need a container to move the handgun to it's destination point from the car.  The glove box and utility compartment (undefined that I know of) can not be the locking container even if they lock.  An LEO can ask to examine a container to see if the firearm inside is loaded.  So, another reason to have it out of sight.

There is essentially no ccw without a permit.  Open carry is allowed when engaged in an activity that requires/allows you to have/use a firearm - in a place where that activity is legal.  Hunting, target shooting. (believe it's allowed to carry a handgun while fishing, - would need to look that up).   So, kayaking, no.  Hiking and backpacking, no,  Open nor concealed.  You can carry in your place of business/residence.  That includes your hotel room, campsite (if the campsite is not in an area that specifically prohibits possession -so you might find different rules in state areas versus fed areas, etc.)  Even if "legal," i doubt you'd see open carry around most established campsites.  A group out in the middle of nowhere dispersed camping, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Follow up question for vehicle transport - what is the rule?

Is a locking case required?  
Is a trigger lock or cable lock through ejection port / mag well acceptable?

Edited to add, the gun and ammo made it to the dealer, my buddy did the paperwork and is now waiting the 10 days.

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Follow up question for vehicle transport - what is the rule?

Is a locking case required?  
Is a trigger lock or cable lock through ejection port / mag well acceptable?

Edited to add, the gun and ammo made it to the dealer, my buddy did the paperwork and is now waiting the 10 days.

View Quote

"California Penal Code section 25400 does not prohibit a citizen of the United
States over 18 years of age who is in lawful possession of a handgun, and who
resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting the handgun by motor
vehicle provided it is unloaded and stored in a locked container . (Pen . Code,
§ 25610 .)

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed
and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device .
This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or
glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 16850 .)"
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much any locking container that is secure enough that you cannot open it and access the gun without unlocking it first (or removing the lock) is GTG.  It can be as simple as a cloth case for a handgun with a zipper with a small padlock on it.  Vehicle transport has no destination requirements, but transport outside of a vehicle does (you can't just carry a handgun this way walking around town).

As for carry, loaded open carry is allowed in unincorporated areas where discharge is not unlawful.  Most of these areas are BLM land, but there are some that are National Forest or something else.  Loaded open or concealed carry is allowed while in one's campsite, or RV when used as a domicile, as well as a hotel, or any private property where one has a right to be that is not open to the public.  There may be some exceptions as well for one's own place of business.

CCW is allowed while hunting or fishing without a carry permit, and the weapon used for hunting can be openly carried (even if a handgun).  I believe while going immediately to or from such an activity, the weapon has to be unloaded, and once you get past that point, the locked case rules above apply.  Obviously you can have the gun at a range.

Open carry with an open carry permit is allowed in counties with smaller populations (I forget if under 200,000 or under 400,000).  Such permits are only valid in the county of issuance.  Concealed carry is allowed with a permit.  The permit is issued by a county or city LEA, but is valid statewide.  Most counties do issue without too much difficulty for the person seeking a permit.

In order to be exempt from running afoul of gun free school zones and the like while out and about, you have to have a carry permit.

There are some carry allowances for antiques, but obviously they do not apply to this weapon.

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top