Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2020 8:28:09 AM EDT
Might have to move to San Diego for .mil job and pretty up to date on shooting sports info for that area.

My other passion is fresh water fishing. Are there are any good books on the subject for the Southern California fisherman identifying lakes, rivers, etc? Hints from current residents?

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
"This is a joke right?

You do understand that CA has an ocean as a neighbor? I mean, you could go out on a boat every day of the week for the rest of your life"

Not a joke - no sea legs and weak stomach - not everybody is good on big water. Unless the ocean has changed recently I'm best on smaller water in a boat or fishing from shore.

Original question still applies: looking for a book or guide for fresh water fishing in Southern CA.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
http://fishingnetwork.net/

Might help as a start.  I'm not really into fishing so only have some casual observations via friends/family, etc.  Geographically the San Diego area (and much of SoCal) doesn't lend itself to stream fishing but there are a number of lakes and reservoirs with fishing.  Not to say there isn't any stream fishing, just that there aren't a lot of consistent year round rivers and streams in the SoCal area.  A lot of attention was paid to flood control over recreational fishing or natural stream flow.  I know of people taking trout fishing very seriously in parts of the Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests and I'd expect there to be some in the other "mountain" areas.  I guess the farther north or higher up you go, the better it gets?

Not particularly close but the Eastern Sierra is popular and famous for trout fishing.  And for being not urban California.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure about the quality of fishing at the lakes in San Diego county. There are more than a few, but if they are like LA and Kern County lakes = really low water levels because of the drought.

We are still catching really big bluefin tuna out of San Diego waters. A new record - over 350lbs was caught a couple weeks ago. Lots of 200 lbs + caught as well.

The last time that we had these large tuna within a 1 day trip in local SoCal waters was about 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:04:55 AM EDT
[#7]
What no fly-fishing in Mission Valley in the San Diego River?

There aren't many fishing streams until you get up to the Sierras.

Southern California is pretty much a desert and most of the big lakes are filled with water from Northern California or the Colorado River.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help. This info gives good starting place to explore SoCal fishing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Lower Otay lake is packed with fishers every weekend. Think its wednesday, fri-sun only
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top