Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2018 10:39:31 AM EDT
Me & some friends are looking for BLM land that is fair game to go have A little target practice on.

Anyone ever heard of Tumey Hills? How’s ranger bob?Would I expect to see the man come & check my papers/see if weapons were within compliance?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You should expect a visit from a Ranger.  Shooting is LOUD! and probably not normal.

If a Ranger shows up, "Cease fire, unload and make the line safe!"  Be courteous and polite, the Ranger is probably under a lot of stress engaging active shooters (albeit recreational shooters).

Comply with those regulations and you should not have a problem.  Bring rakes, shovels and trash bags.  Have them "on display".  Careful, responsible shooters is what we are.

If you have registered "assault rifles", it would be prudent to bring a photocopy of the registration papers.  I am not aware of a law requiring this but...
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should expect a visit from a Ranger.  Shooting is LOUD! and probably not normal.

If a Ranger shows up, "Cease fire, unload and make the line safe!"  Be courteous and polite, the Ranger is probably under a lot of stress engaging active shooters (albeit recreational shooters).

Comply with those regulations and you should not have a problem.  Bring rakes, shovels and trash bags.  Have them "on display".  Careful, responsible shooters is what we are.

If you have registered "assault rifles", it would be prudent to bring a photocopy of the registration papers.  I am not aware of a law requiring this but...
View Quote
I'm 99% sure that "Registered Assault Weapons" may NOT be taken/fired at "BLM" Shooting Areas.

Only "Firing Ranges".

I'd find out for sure to avoid "entanglements".....

Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps, but you are creating a "firing range" when you set up your targets, establish a firing line and appoint a range safety officer.  You do all those things when you go shooting, right?

The law does not state "commercial firing ranges" or ""well established, pre-approved firing ranges".

I agree, the important thing is to KNOW whether RAW are allowed on BLM land.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm 99% sure that "Registered Assault Weapons" may NOT be taken/fired at "BLM" Shooting Areas.

Only "Firing Ranges".

I'd find out for sure to avoid "entanglements".....

Happy shooting!
View Quote
Courtesy of member fastswift.  Cut and paste from the other BLM asshole thread.

30945. Unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained
under Section 31000, a person who has registered an assault weapon or
registered a .50 BMG rifle under this article may possess it only
under any of the following conditions:
(a) At that person's residence, place of business, or other
property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with
the owner's express permission.
(b) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private
club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing
shooting at targets.
(c) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business
license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(d) While on the premises of a shooting club that is licensed
pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(e) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational
project that is about firearms and that is sponsored by, conducted
under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a
nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or
promotes education about, firearms.
(f) While on publicly owned land, if the possession and use of a
firearm described in Section 30510, 30515, 30520, or 30530, is
specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(g) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between
any of the places mentioned in this section, or to any licensed gun
dealer, for servicing or repair pursuant to Section 31050, if the
assault weapon is transported as required by Sections 16850 and

so, if you have permission, you can use RAWs on public land.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recreation/hunting.html

Bureau of Land Management California policy is to allow the use of firearms on public lands, as provided for in state law, and to cooperate with state authorities in the enforcement of firearms regulations.

Persons have the permission of the Bureau of Land Management to possess and use firearms, including lawfully registered assault weapons, on BLM-administered public lands, except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top