Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2011 10:43:29 PM EDT
I am traveling to Southern California soon and wanted to bring my Glock 27 Gen4.  I checked the CA DOJ Handgun Roster and it does not show any Gen4 pistols.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The roster is only for new pistols sold in california to cali residents. You can travel with it as long as you follow the state rules and don't bring in any mags larger than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Geb 4s are not legal to own in Cali unless you are LE. The only way for a Civi to purchase one is a pre owned one from a LE officer. As for bringing one in to the state I would guess it would not be a good idea unless you are LE since they are not legal to own unless you are LE.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Geb 4s are not legal to own in Cali unless you are LE. The only way for a Civi to purchase one is a pre owned one from a LE officer. As for bringing one in to the state I would guess it would not be a good idea unless you are LE since they are not legal to own unless you are LE.

Geb 4s, probably not.  But a Civi can LEGALLY own a gen 4 glock if purchased legally.  Out of state resident purchases one and moves to CA is one example.  A a California resident can purchase and legally own any offlist roster from a LE officer selling one.   Lastly if your FFL brings in an off list roster handgun as a single shot exemption.

Since you are just visiting, its ok too.  Just no mags over 10+ and must be in a lock container with ammo not loaded in the chamber or mag well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sorry but that's just not true.

The infamous pistol roster only applies to transfers from an FFL to a private citizen. The roster has nothing to do with ownership. The roster has nothing to do with possession. The roster has nothing to do with carry (given that one has a CCW license). The roster has nothing to do with bringing one into the state. All that roster does is dictate which pistols can and cannot be sold from an FFL to a citizen.

Purchasing secondhand from an LEO is only one of several avenues for legally obtaining an off-roster pistol in CA.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Gawd I wish people wouldn't speak up unless they knew WTF they were talking about.

Off-Roster handgun ownership/possession is COMPLETELY LEGAL.   The Roster only gates
sales of new/inventoried handguns in CA to ordinary folks.   Handguns can come into CA in
many legal ways and they can be transferred to Californians thru PPT transfers or consignment
sales.   CA FFLs can also selll them in 12133PC dimensionally-compliant Roster-exempt
"single-shot" form.

Feel free to come into CA with your Glock Gen4.   Just don't bring in any hicap (over 10rd)
magazines  [unless you owned those exact Glock hicap mags in CA before 2000].

Yes, I own a Glock 23 Gen4,  I acquired it thru the single-shot exemption.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gawd I wish people wouldn't speak up unless they knew WTF they were talking about.

Off-Roster handgun ownership/possession is COMPLETELY LEGAL.   The Roster only gates
sales of new/inventoried handguns in CA to ordinary folks.   Handguns can come into CA in
many legal ways and they can be transferred to Californians thru PPT transfers or consignment
sales.   CA FFLs can also selll them in 12133PC dimensionally-compliant Roster-exempt
"single-shot" form.

Feel free to come into CA with your Glock Gen4.   Just don't bring in any hicap (over 10rd)

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Mr Wiese,

Could I trouble you to elaborate on this "one shot" exemption you speak of please?

Just curious what that means. Thank you
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The barrel must be so many inches long. I believe something like 8 inches. Who every has the license to do a legal single shot exemption must buy or get a barrel made to meet the 8 inches legal length. Second, the mag well must be blocked off so that you cannot put any magazine in the pistol (hence the single shot). Now blocking off the magazine is not permanent. Once it goes through the 10 day waiting period you can convert it back to its regular form buy simply taking out the blocked mag well (might be a block of some sort of a hard plastic and taking out the long ass barrel and putting in the original barrel. As a reg civi you can keep it or do a  PPT to whom ever you want.

That's how i got my gen4 glock from a PPT (from a reg civi).
I also bought an XDm compt. series through single shot exemption.

Hello cali, they make things so easy for gun owners

Quoted:
Quoted:

"single-shot" form.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Mr Wiese,

Could I trouble you to elaborate on this "one shot" exemption you speak of please?

Just curious what that means. Thank you

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
TVfreak got some of the generalities but some specifics are wrong.

Interested parties, please see my very detailed thread on Calguns:  http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=441766

Briefly:

-  the min. barrel length for single-shot pistols is 6"  and min. overall length is 10.5" and both limits must be observed.

-  any CA FFL can import a non-Rostered pistol and transform it into a Roster-exempt single-shot pistol if drop-in parts
   (no machining, etc.) is required.   No manufacturing FFL is required.

-  zero round capacity outside the chamber can be achieved thru a dummy filler/training magazine locked down, a magazine
  converted to zero round via a block  [if it was a hicap magazine, the mag must be permanently reduced to 10rds or below],
  or somtimes creative methods like using ultra-long grip screws in 1911s  (that cross side to side) along with a wood insert
  can also be used.

-  the FFL should 'single-shot' the gun before beginning DROS, and it should stay in that form until pickup and walking out the store.
  [This is really not legally supportable and kinda DOJ underground regulation but it serves to keep DOJ off CA FFLs' rear ends
  until we get some more velocity.]  

-  the purchaser is free to reconfigure the single-shot handgun he just picked up into any other legal format, including the
  original state of the gun before modification, as long as it doesn't turn into a prohibited firearm (AW, SBS, unconventional
  pistol, etc.)

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
TVfreak got some of the generalities but some specifics are wrong.

Interested parties, please see my very detailed thread on Calguns:  http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=441766

Briefly:

-  the min. barrel length for single-shot pistols is 6"  and min. overall length is 10.5" and both limits must be observed.

-  any CA FFL can import a non-Rostered pistol and transform it into a Roster-exempt single-shot pistol if drop-in parts
   (no machining, etc.) is required.   No manufacturing FFL is required.

-  zero round capacity outside the chamber can be achieved thru a dummy filler/training magazine locked down, a magazine
  converted to zero round via a block  [if it was a hicap magazine, the mag must be permanently reduced to 10rds or below],
  or somtimes creative methods like using ultra-long grip screws in 1911s  (that cross side to side) along with a wood insert
  can also be used.

-  the FFL should 'single-shot' the gun before beginning DROS, and it should stay in that form until pickup and walking out the store.
  [This is really not legally supportable and kinda DOJ underground regulation but it serves to keep DOJ off CA FFLs' rear ends
  until we get some more velocity.]  

-  the purchaser is free to reconfigure the single-shot handgun he just picked up into any other legal format, including the
  original state of the gun before modification, as long as it doesn't turn into a prohibited firearm (AW, SBS, unconventional
  pistol, etc.)

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Quite interesting. Thanks for enlightening me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

There is no exemption for importation or mags owned before Jan 1 2000.
No mags over 10 rounds to new residents either.

Your slippin bill.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

There is no exemption for importation or mags owned before Jan 1 2000.
No mags over 10 rounds to new residents either.

Your slippin bill.

Big Mac:

Don't think so -  maybe my phrasing wasn't great-   but I think it was close enough....

... indeed if you read the mag stuff in 12020(c).. PC,  mags you owned/poessessed within CA, even for a microsecond, as long as it was before
1/1/2000, and regardless of of your state residency status - can be brought back into CA.  

If you are/were an AZ resident and purchased hicap mags at a CA gunshow in 1999,  you as an AZ resident (or that of any other state, it's
irrelevant)  are legally allowed to bring those hicaps back into CA.  

All that matters to the law is the fact that YOU *possessed* those magazines for even a microsecond within CA's borders before 1/1/2000.  

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like I need a law degree to decipher what I can and can not buy and how to obtain it. I am kind of new to the all new gun laws and looking at expanding my handgun collection. Looked into online sales and trying to find out where to go to find a list of handguns that are on a "ban list" so I don't bother sellers for something that is illegal for me to buy. Is there such a "list" on a site? I went to CalGunLaws.com and seemed to get a lot of reads about specific topics but no real list. Please help. It seems like trying to do things the legal way is really hard and confusing. Sorry for the dumb questions, but I really want to get back into shooting and I guess its going to be harder than I thought. I'm in San Jose too Bill so any local info would be great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"single-shot" form.

Bill Wiese

San Jose CA

How is the Gen 4 G23?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"single-shot" form.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

How is the Gen 4 G23?

I like it much better than prior Glocks   (traded off a G21 Gen3 for a S&W M&P45 which I love.)

I bought it just for the helluvit to have a some of my own "Roster exempt" handiwork.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top