Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 10:47:41 AM EDT
I'll preempt this post by saying I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times but being new to the forum and lacking the navigational skills for the site can not find a post on the subject.

I'm just about to move to California and have a pre ban Colt AR 15 Sporter. From what I have read of the Cal. Laws I need to trade out the lower receiver for a OLL lower and put a mag lock on a 10 round mag to make it legal. I have a fully assembled lower with an A2 stock from Rock River, model LAR-15 that I would like to put on switch out with the colt lower (the lower was not bought in California if that matters). My question is, can I keep the Colt lower (assembled, pistol grip removed) and bring it into california or do I have to keep this out of state to avoid breaking laws. Would be grateful for any help. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Firstly, there are only 2 Colt's that aren't named on the ban. I believe it is the Colt Sportster and the Colt A3 HBAR Elite, or something like that.

Unfortunetly if your Colt is a named AW, bring it in is a felony importing and possessing an AW. The only way to save it would be to keep it somewhere safe, perhaps with a friend or family member.

The mag locks are not as bad as they sound. The bullet button allows you to put whatever you want on your rifle and slows your reloads down by about 3 or 4 seconds.

Also, Calgunners love off-list pistols. You can bring in any pistol you want provided it doesn't fit the description of an Assault Pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The California OFF-List Guide

AR-15 Series Weapons

ALEXANDER ARMS*
.50 BEOWOLF
6.5 GRENDEL

AMEETEC ARMS
WM-15

AMERICAN SPIRIT ARMS
ASA-10

ARES DEFENSE SYSTEMS, INC.*
ARES-16

BARRETT*
M468

BUSHMASTER
CARBON 15
J-15
BAR-10

CAVALRY ARMS
MKII

CENTURY ARMS*
C-15

CMMG
MOD4-SA

COLT*
CAR-A3 H-BAR ELITE
CARBINE

COMPASS LAKE ENGINEERING
MR-15

DALPHON

DANIEL DEFENSE
DD-15

DOUBLESTAR
STAR-15

DPMS
SINGLE SHOT
LR-308
A-15

DSARMS
ZM4

ESSENTIAL ARMS
J-15-F

FRANKFORD ARSENAL
XM-177
FAR-15

FULTON ARMORY
FAR-15

GLOBAL TACTICAL
GT-AR15

GRENADIER PRECISION
M4 A3
M4 COMMANDO
M4 SOC

GUNSMOKE ENTERPRISES
M-15 MATCH

HESSE ARMS
HAR-25

HIGH STANDARD
HSA-15

JP ENTERPRISES, INC.*
JP-15
CTR-02

LAR MANUFACTURING
GRIZZLY-15

LAUER CUSTOM WEAPONRY
LCW-15

LEITNER-WISE*

LEWIS MACHINE AND TOOL*
DEFENDER 2000

LRB INDUSTRIES, LLC
M15SA

MEGA MACHINE SHOP
GATOR

MGI

NOVESKE
N4

PATRIOT ORDINANCE FACTORY
P-415
P-416

RATWORX
M-7

ROCK RIVER ARMS
LAR-15

SABRE DEFENSE
X16/15A3
XR-15

SMITH AND WESSON*
M&P-15
M&P-15T

SOCOM MANUFACTURING
DIAMOND
BLACK DIAMOND

SPECIAL WEAPONS
AR47

SPIKE’S TACTICAL
ST15

STINGER ARMS

STAG ARMS
STAG-15
STAG-6.8

SUN DEVIL
SD15

SUPERIOR ARMS
S-15

TITUSVILLE ARMORY
TA-15

TROY INDUSTRIES INC.*
CQB-SPC

VULCAN ARMS
V-15
CAL1

WILSON TACTICAL LLC.
WT-15

ZM WEAPONS*
LR300
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the comprehensive advice and the list. Shame to leave my one behind only to replace it with another identical one with a different name but that's that.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top