Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 1:24:18 AM EDT
Hey everyone. I was just wondering what I needed to do to purchase my first handgun in California when I go home on leave this summer. (Just after my 21st B-day) Ill be CA for about 10 days, and don't plan on bringing it back to Germany with me. (Gonna leave it in the safe at my parents home.)

Specifics are in Contra Costa County, and July/August timeframe. Planning on taking the leave if we don't get slotted for deployment again.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#1]
you have to have a proof of residency (car registration) and your military service will replace the handgun safety requirement.

If you cannot get proof of residence cause your in the service just have your dad buy it and give it to you as a birthday gift.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I don't have any proof of residency, but it is my home of record to the military.

Dad won't, cause he thinks that is illegal. *shrug*

But good to know i can get around the safety requirement.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Have your dad read this:

www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#20

It's legal to give a handgun between parent/child without going through a standard transfer. BUT, you will need to file a letter with the DOJ afterwards since its a handgun. Rifles require no paperwork. This might be the best way to go, otherwise you will have to deal with the 10 day wait period. You can have your dad buy it before you get home, and he can pick it up after 10 days. Then when you get here, he can gift it to you.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I know none of the bases in Germany will sell pistols on base but once your stateside why not buy on base and bring it home with you.

Or if you stop off in any other states besides CA you could go to the gun shows or gunstores where they have a instant background check.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey everyone. I was just wondering what I needed to do to purchase my first handgun in California when I go home on leave this summer. (Just after my 21st B-day) Ill be CA for about 10 days, and don't plan on bringing it back to Germany with me. (Gonna leave it in the safe at my parents home.)

Specifics are in Contra Costa County, and July/August timeframe. Planning on taking the leave if we don't get slotted for deployment again.

Thanks guys!

As far as Federal law is concerned, you are SOL.  BATF says that military personnel are considered residents of the state in which they are stationed.  Your home of record has no bearing. If you are stationed in Germany, you cannot legally purchase firearms while you are home on leave.  If you are not stationed in California, you are not considered a California resident for the purpose of purchasing firearms.

Yes, I know it's stupid and makes no sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top