Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 12:53:28 PM EDT
on a registered AW of course ? was looking at RRA website and they have those nice uppers ,they also have 10 rounds 9mm mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Im looking into it, I already have a few sten gun mags so Im thinking about the oly system.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I am. Mine is a Colt setup. I think RRA is based on the colt pattern.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have a Colt 9mm conversion on my preban lower.

I believe J&T Distrib. sells Colt 9mm uppers and mag blocks.

Positioning & fixing of mag block in magwell is critical for proper feed/operation.

The 9mm subgun systems are designed for hotter ammo - anemic ammo like 9mm PMC may have cycling issues.  Test/configure w/name brand quality factory ammo first.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I run an Oly with the SOCOM block and STEN mags and a Colt with Uzi mags.

Both are 100% so far. A LOT of fun and surprisingly accurate at 100 yards.

Both run perfectly fine on WWB from Walmart. And everything else I have tried.

The Oly system w/STEN mags might be picky though. I have a bunch of STEN mags that don't work properly in this system. But they are all beaters, old, old military surplus. The newer, better condition  mags work fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys. Are you running preban high caps 9mm mags ? is there a way for me to get those mags legally in cali or do i have to stick with 10 rounders ? thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#6]
IF you didn't get them prior to the ban you are SOL.

BUT if you got them prior to the ban you okay.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I run an Oly with the SOCOM block and STEN mags and a Colt with Uzi mags.

Both are 100% so far. A LOT of fun and surprisingly accurate at 100 yards.

Both run perfectly fine on WWB from Walmart. And everything else I have tried.

The Oly system w/STEN mags might be picky though. I have a bunch of STEN mags that don't work properly in this system. But they are all beaters, old, old military surplus. The newer, better condition  mags work fine.

Did the UZI mags have to be modified?  Can you tell me any more on the 2 types?  The Socom block is the magwell extention right?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a 16" 9mm Colt upper, RRA 9mm buffer, RRA 9mm hammer,  VM Hytech Mag Block, and unmodified UZI mags.  This setup seems to work well for me.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Did the UZI mags have to be modified?  Can you tell me any more on the 2 types?  The Socom block is the magwell extention right?

I bought the Colt used here on the EE. My best guess is that the Uzi mags appear to be modified by cutting a slot in the magazine to work with the AR mag catch.

The Colt system uses a mag block that fills the mag well. There are (I believe) three types of Colt style mag blocks. The pin in type which neccessitates drilling your lower receiver and pinning the two piece blocks into your magwell. A one piece unit that drops into your lower receiver from the top and a one piece unit that inserts into the mag well from the bottom. The last one is the type that I have. Quick and easy change overs.

The Socom block is used with the Oly system and unmodified STEN mags. A lot of people don't like the socom block because it is held in place by the AR mag catch and the sten mags are caught by a lever type release that is part of the socom block. So if you're the uber tactical ninja type, you wont be able to overcome the change in drill. I just plink with it so it works for me.

I will post some pics.

I think that you could easily use the Colt system in a new CA legal type lower if you could find some ten round Uzi style mags. Or modify some old Uzi mags. Just fix the mag and mag block in the well with one of the CA legal kits. Loading would be slow though.

The Oly system could work too. Again, you would have to modify a sten mag to ten rounds limit. You would then have to disable or modify the socom mag release lever. The socom block and mag would stay attached same as the above Colt unit.

Either system would work fine. The Oly is a little bit cheaper. And, quite honestly, a bit more accurate for me. My Colt is a shorty barrel and the Oly is a 16". They are a blast and everyone at the range wants to take a turn.

Socom block.

Sten mag loader, practically required.

Magwell, sten mag and socom block

Uzi mag modification?

The line up.

Cambi loader, makes loading Uzi mags much easier.

Oly

Oly

Colt
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#10]
OT, Thanks.  The OLY setup looks good enough for me.  I have plenty of old mags laying around but the sten stuff I saved for this project.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top