Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 5:38:15 AM EDT
As a former resident of CA, I understand your frustrations.  I have a family member behind lines, and I'd like to sell him one of my lowers.  This gun will likely spend most of its time out at the river in AZ, but I'd like to give him the option of bringing it back, should he choose to for "personal safety" reasons.

Question, are Lauer Custom lowers on the ban list yet?  How about Stag? If not, what are you guys getting in legally?

If I understand correctly, the firearm has to still be in ban configuration with no bayonet lug, stock, hi-cap mags etc. Any suggestions for Orange County FFL's who do transfers of this nature?

I'm sure it's posted somewhere on the board, but you Cali guys always show up with outstanding information to post when you're trying to get an FFL to send you a lower.  

Any quick info you guys could shoot me would be helpful, so I can expedite this.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Lauer  and stag lowers are not on the list yet. If its a complete rifle you are talking about, you cannot send it as is no matter what the configuration. You would need to remove the pistol grip before shipping. No magazines over 10rnd capacity can be sent either . BTW, bayonet lugs are not considered an evil feature here. The lower/rifle would need to be sent to an FFL holder in that persons area or transferred at that FFL's place of business if you want to do a FTF.

If I were doing this though, I would separate the lower from the upper. Remove the pistol grip from the lower (probably strip the lower bare), then send the lower to his FFL holder. Then I'd just ship the other parts directly to my relative (with no magazine, unless I had a 10 rounder available).

Heres the link to the list of banned AW in CA. If the lower isnt specifically named by make and model, you can send it to your relative or they are allowed to purchase it somewhere else:

ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/aw.htm

I'm not sure you can travel to CA with the AR unless you are going to a competition, someone know?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
BTW, bayonet lugs are not considered an evil feature here.

I always have a bayonette fixed on my rifles
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You would need to remove the pistol grip before shipping. No magazines over 10rnd capacity can be sent either.

If I were doing this though, I would separate the lower from the upper. Remove the pistol grip from the lower (probably strip the lower bare), then send the lower to his FFL holder. Then I'd just ship the other parts directly to my relative (with no magazine, unless I had a 10 rounder available).

Couldn't he just buy a 10 round mag and a fixed mag kit, then just affix the 10 round mag to the rifle (even if it does have a flashhider, stock, and/or pistol grip) and ship it to the FFL like that?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Couldn't he just buy a 10 round mag and a fixed mag kit, then just affix the 10 round mag to the rifle (even if it does have a flashhider, stock, and/or pistol grip) and ship it to the FFL like that?

Yep!

Since this indeed has a Lauer receiver and is thus not currently on the Kasler list of banned AR/AK "series" guns, the bare lower is legal to have in CA - as well as the complete rifle, providing of course it has a fixed (nondetachable) 10rd (or less) magazine affixed before it enters the state using something like the Sporting Conversions kit.

For right now, either of these above configurations can be sold/transferred to a CA at a CA FFL dealer that handles "off-list" AR-type rifles.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Does the firearm have to have the non-detachable 10 rnd, or is it legal for posession as long as it doesn't have a hi-cap mag with it?  

Has anyone used these mag kits that were mentioned? How does one go about reloading the 10 rd?  I know some of the conversion kits take stripper clips, but I think that requires a different upper.  

Thanks again for the quality information.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does the firearm have to have the non-detachable 10 rnd, or is it legal for posession as long as it doesn't have a hi-cap mag with it?  

It is an illegal assault weapon in CA if the 10rd or less nondetachable (fixed) mag is NOT affixed.
A Stoner-style rifle with pistol grip and/or telestock cannot have an empty magwell (unless it was previously registered as an assault weapon back in 1990 or 2000, which is not the case here).

Either ship the gun in as a bare receiver without grip or stock, or make sure a 10rd fixed nondetachable magazine is affixed before it crossess CA state line.

For details read my FAQ on Calguns.net:  www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Has anyone used these mag kits that were mentioned? How does one go about reloading the 10 rd?  I know some of the conversion kits take stripper clips, but I think that requires a different upper.  

Many people have used the Sporting Conversions kit and the Bushmaster 10rd mag.  (It's a quality, reliable mag - unlike other 10rd mags.)  Check around Calguns.Net.  You just break open the action and load the mag.  Stripper clips may not be too helpful, I hear - not a huge savings in time (but that was on the FAB10).

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Thanks again for the quality information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top