Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 3:47:05 PM EDT
Hey,
I just read about this stuff with the non named ar lowers being legal again. I have a dual state residencecy (FL and CA). I have IDs and residencies and spit up my time between two houses. I already have a couple un-assembled stag lowers that I was going to build here in FL and keep here. Is the any reason I couldn't bring them to my house in CA and keep them there untill/if they need to be registered to make new ARs. I own them so I wouldn't need to have them transfered to me. They aren't pistols so I wouldn't even need to registar them like when you move with handguns.Is there some legal hole in my logic, as long as I leave them un-assembled ?
Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
When the open the registration window I dont see how you could hurt yourself sending in the card.  However, I wouldent actually bring the rifles into the state till you'd heard back from DOJ and given them a fair chance to ask you how you're registereing a gun they dont have a dros saying you bought.

This would be a good question for the brains over at calguns.net though.  

BTW, how did you manage to get dual residency?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
When you DROS a firearm it just says "longgun". If you DROS a longgun here in California and purchase a billion different rifles out of state, the CA DOJ would not be able to tell you which one was purchased here in California (assuming you could legally purchase all other rifles of course).

As for bringing it in, I know there was a hitch for people trying to buy firearms for family members. Normally you can pass a firearm to a parent or child without an FFL (handguns just need to be registered to the new owner), but for interstate families it had to go through an FFL. I wasn't exactly sure about it. You may want to check to make sure you wouldn't be importing the firearm and that it would be legal (remember the part of the law that lets you bring rifles in is when you are moving in). Not sure how it would work with a dual residency.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey,
I just read about this stuff with the non named ar lowers being legal again. I have a dual state residencecy (FL and CA). I have IDs and residencies and spit up my time between two houses. I already have a couple un-assembled stag lowers that I was going to build here in FL and keep here. Is the any reason I couldn't bring them to my house in CA and keep them there untill/if they need to be registered to make new ARs. I own them so I wouldn't need to have them transfered to me. They aren't pistols so I wouldn't even need to registar them like when you move with handguns.Is there some legal hole in my logic, as long as I leave them un-assembled ?
Thanks Guys

From the ATF website:

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b13

It certainly sounds like what you are doing is legal according to the ATF site.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey,
Thanks Guys

From the ATF website:

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b13

It certainly sounds like what you are doing is legal according to the ATF site.

Being ATF legal does not mean CA State legal.

By all means stay on top of the registration period, if and when it opens up, get them registered.  Once registered in CA, they can be taken out and brought back, and you can assemble when and where convenient.  If not registered in the period, you can't bring them in if assembled, or assemble them if here.    If not properly registered here, you would be "importing" into CA and your FL legal possession doesn't count unless you are bringing in for a temporary meet or ??
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BTW, how did you manage to get dual residency?

+1.

Cali will not renew your DL or ID card if you currently have one in another state. Florida allows dual residency, cali does not.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not sure if this is relevant but keep in mind that the assault weapon registration form asks for the

day (if known), month (if known), and year of acquisition; name and address of person or firearms dealership from whom assault weapon was acquired (optional);

If one indicated that the rifle being registered was acquired in outside the state before 1/23/2001 (previous registration deadline), they may want to know how it got into CA, and was it in CA before June 2001 prior to the Harrott ruling which clarified the "series" interpretation of the law.

Shipping the receivers to a local FFL and paying the $55 DROS fee might be cheap insurance even though legally it's your property
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have residences in both states. I had my FL licence before I got my CA ID years ago when I was still a teenager, and have had both renewed since with no conflict so that isn't a problem. And a little ways down about the registration date and place of aquisition, EVERYBODY who is getting Stag ,ect. lowers will have gotten them after the 1/23/2001 , and if they were legal to buy in the state for now, they would be legal to bring in. I don't see how whether they went through an FFL or came with me makes a difference.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a reasonable assessment. If a Stag-15 receiver is legal in CA then there should be no problem if a CA-FL resident transports one into the CA. I do not know when Stags were first produced so I cannot say if EVERYBODY bought one before the CA deadline. I can say that most California residents bought them in California. You, having dual state residency, are in a unique position.

My point with going through CA FFL is that removes any doubt as to when and where you acquired them. Your transaction is just one of the many thousands of  lowers that were DROS'd in the last month. Also, in my opinion, there is less of chance that your AW registration will raise a red-flag if it shows a recent date of acquisition from a CA FFL. That's just my opinion. If you feel comfortable telling them you acquired it outside of the state, by all means, do so. Again, it's just my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top