Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:44:40 PM EDT
Just returned from the family camping trip to the Central Coast.  Infinitely more successful, this year I caught a fish.  Yep, A, uno, one, ichi,  fish.  7" Barred Surf Perch and since the miracle of loaves and fishes did not re-occur, it yielded 2 fillets about the size of hershey bars.  Sauteed in bread crumbs.

The miracle occurred on the last afternoon and after I finally broke down and put the more recommended rig  on, AND I found a place without kelp.  This year my fishing available times did not coincide with desirable tidal conditions.  Both last year and most of this year the beaches at the campgrounds were pretty kelp laden.  I was environmentally concious, I did release all the kelp I caught.

When I add up all the costs for both trips, including gas, new tents, camping fees, other expenses, etc, I got off for about what a fugu meal in Tokyo would cost.

However since the main goals of the trip was to get Ma Danby and I relaxed, we succeeded.  And except for 15 minutes driving in the fog on Highway 1 south of Big Sur, I stayed pretty relaxed.

Those of you who have never taken Highway One between Morro Bay and Monterey really need to take a few days and do it.  Do it on a weekday, the tourist traffic on weekends is too much for driving AND enjoying.  Wildlife seen included Blue Whales (only about 300 yards out, great big ones) , Killer Whales - a little further out, Elephant Seals - big males at Piedras Blancas, seals and sea lions, otters, zebras (YES ZEBRAS - Bill Hearst had a herd and they are still out and around on the ranch and visible from the road).  Another traffic stopper was a huge Turkey Vulture sitting on a little hillock on the side of the road.  Was letting people get up to about 15 feet away to take pictures.  If you can't make the drive go to Point Lobos State Preserve and take the trails.  

This is a pic of me observing McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.  This is the only waterfall in CA that falls directly into the ocean

This is Ma Danby and my youngest walking back through the redwoods and fern groves at Limekiln State Park where we camped along the stream in the redwoods.

The Light house at Point Sur.

Definitely a trip you need to take.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you had a good time.

+1 on the fact that you need to go up/down highway 1 on a weekday, it's a great drive and you can be almost alone on the road.

I took the wife to Monterey in July, then we drove down 1 to Hearst Castle.  It was a great time, even though there was alot of fog.  Here's the one good spot on the coast about 1/2 way to Hearst Castle where the fog broke.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Great pics. This state has some nice areas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top