Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 5:39:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, registered or not, you can't sell any AK Variants to anyone in California.  You need to sell it to someone in a state w/o the stupid laws.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming that if the original owner have not take his register assult weapon off the list, you still cannot sell it back to CA regardless if it's registered or not. The law is written without grandfathering, and sure will not allow transfer. Find someone in your state to sell the gun. As for PRK peons like me, we are SOL.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was registered here, you can keep it in your posession legally, and if you want to sell it the only option is to sell it out of state, or to a licensed assault weapon dealer. I re-read your post. No, you can not sell it to anyone in California. We're phucked.

AFAIK, the only legal AK to buy right now is a .22LR one... but I haven't been able to find one for a while
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Could you "loan" him the assault weapon its not like anyone would ever give him a hard time about the weapon unless he decided to rob a bank or pull a drive by.

Personally i really dont see how he would get caught and if the rare rare rare situation did occur "its registered and i am just borrowing it" honestly cops dont care.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Could you "loan" him the assault weapon its not like anyone would ever give him a hard time about the weapon unless he decided to rob a bank or pull a drive by.

Personally i really dont see how he would get caught and if the rare rare rare situation did occur "its registered and i am just borrowing it" honestly cops dont care.

No loaning of Assault Wepaons in CA. Bad Ju-ju, even if the chances of being caught are slim.

Quoted:
Sorry guys, I was rootin for ya!

Thanks for the thought.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The only way to legally "loan" a registered assult weapon in California is you are there physically, so I wouldn't call that a "loan" either. If a registered assult weapon is being loan to another person and registered owner is not present, loaner and got pull over by a cop that have nothing better to do, then both the loaner and owner are screwed AFAIK.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only way to legally "loan" a registered assult weapon in California is you are there physically, so I wouldn't call that a "loan" either. If a registered assult weapon is being loan to another person and registered owner is not present, loaner and got pull over by a cop that have nothing better to do, then both the loaner and owner are screwed AFAIK.

well keep it in your trunk and just dont mention it, there is no reason for a cop to search your trunk unless you let him.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
there is a CA legal AK that you can buy.  Its the pump action AK-74 in .223  Century Arms imports them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
there is a CA legal AK that you can buy.  Its the pump action AK-74 in .223  Century Arms imports them.

Oh yea, I forgot about those funny looking things, too...

The forestock looks goofy, and it's .223, otherwise I'd get one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey guys,
Im thinking about selling a SLR-95 I have. I got from a friend in CA, and it was actually registered in the state of CA before the ban. As far as I know, this makes it a legal assault rifle in the state of CA. I have since added the US Parts Kit with the pistol grip and stock. I dont know how the laws over there work (I am in FL) but if I were to sell it, I'd like to sell it to someone in CA. You guys need more cool guns!!! I wonder if this is possible, and if it is, would I have to put the thumbhole stock back on. What do you think? Let me know. Thanks!
-Neil

Thanks for thinking about us though!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh yea, I forgot about those funny looking things, too...

The forestock looks goofy, and it's .223, otherwise I'd get one.

Forestock is ugly, although not all are .223, some are 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
1911greg, I would check out the Code of Conduct if I were you. Even if anything you are saying has merit, it is a CoC violation if what you are talking about is against the law.

Im just saying in many situations keeping your mouth shut is the best idea, whether your guns are legal or not doesn't really matter the cop could not know the law (many have no clue).

IMHO, its none of the cops business what guns you have just less problems that way.

my buddy got his mags hijacked just a few weeks ago and they were prebans.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1911greg, I would check out the Code of Conduct if I were you. Even if anything you are saying has merit, it is a CoC violation if what you are talking about is against the law.

Im just saying in many situations keeping your mouth shut is the best idea, whether your guns are legal or not doesn't really matter the cop could not know the law (many have no clue).

IMHO, its none of the cops business what guns you have just less problems that way.

Are you saying a cop confiscated your friend's magazines?  Which city, which PD?  What's your friend doing about it?  Sorry for all the questions but that would really piss me off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying a cop confiscated your friend's magazines?  Which city, which PD?  What's your friend doing about it?  Sorry for all the questions but that would really piss me off.

Im curious to hear about this mag confiscation also..  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nothing he just figured he would cut his losses and not deal with it, morale of the story if they ask if you have any guns just lie. He was trying to be honest and it backfired on him.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nothing he just figured he would cut his losses and not deal with it, morale of the story if they ask if you have any guns just lie. He was trying to be honest and it backfired on him.

I think this is the worst advice yet.

If asked, DON'T LIE AND SAY NO.  If there is any reason that he does proceed with a search it sure won't be going good for you if you just lied, then he finds guns... In fact, with the actions of some officers in Cali lately, you might end up shot.  "He said there was no guns, then he went for one!  I had to shoot him, I was afraid for my life.".
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Not volunteering information to a LEO is fine.  Lying to an LEO is not fine.  Putting aside the ethical implications of lying, the concern about getting arrested - or worse - is a very real risk.  I am reminded of a story I heard about a Class III dealer who was transporting MGs interstate for a gun show.  He was stopped by the state police for a traffic violation (probably a broken tail light).  When the officer asked if he could look in the trunk, the dealer said yes.  When they opened the trunk, the officer practically had a cardiac....Lying in the trunk on blankets were a bunch of MP-5 SMGs.  The officer jumped back, drew his sidearm, ordered the dealer to assume the position, and called for back-up.  The dealer cooperated, knowing that the officer had a drawn gun and was nervous as heck.  When the officer's supervisor rolled up, everything got straightened out because the dealer had all the right paperwork - and the supervisor knew enough about firearms law to recognize that everything was in order.  The officers thanked the dealer and sent him on his way.  Now, imagine how this could have turned out differently if the dealer had NOT had legal MGs with the proper paperwork, or had lied to the officer?  BANG, BANG, BANG.

Also, need I remind you that transporting or possessing contraband weapons (unregistered AWs, MGs, SBS, SBRs, DDs, what have you) is NOT fine according to our Attorney General.  This kind of felony will result in a LIFETIME ban on firearms possession.  Great for a gun enthusiast, no?  Remember that in California, we have Three Strikes (second strike doubles the term, third strike for ANY felony (including tax evasion) is 25 to Life.  Our state prisons are not exactly vacation spots.  Think about that before considering doing anything so blatantly illegal as attempting to sneak and unregistered AW into California.

When the registration hit, I registered everything - even guns I didn't think needed to be registered - just to be on the safe side.  Since I already own NFA firearms and have a CCW (and once carried a badge in another state), it wasn't like I was already in the FBIs and everyone else's database.  Better safe than sorry from a legal standpoint.  And yes, if there is a confiscation someday, they'll know where to look.  So what?  If things get that bad, we'll have more things to worry about than our guns - like the rest of our freedoms.

Comply with the law, as stupid as it may seem.  Then vote the idiots out who wrote these laws.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top