Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 10:36:25 AM EDT
My husband may get a job offer that includes relocation costs down to LB. I am so not familiar with the area that I was wondering if someone could tell me what areas to look in for houses - and what areas to NOT look in!

thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If you like being close to the beach, Belmont Shore is nice. Of course, you're going to pay a premium any time you're close to the water. I have a couple friends who rent down there. Don't know what they pay.

I think the north LB area is to be avoided. Also have heard that the west side isn't that nice. A little farther from LB, there's Lakewood which seems pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
north long beach, signal hill, lakewood, seal beach and east long beach near the university are good areas.

LB is on the LA side of the county border with OC, so its not much farther to get into good areas of OC. you could even drive north about 30 min and be in the torrance area, which is nice middle clas area.
anywhere you look expect to pay around 400-600k for a house in a nice area, and the houses go QUICK, like 3 days. some houses have get bid on before the bidder even sees it in person, some bids go OVER the asking price.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
How about western San Pedro, where the hill starts to rise up into Palos Verdes?

Where are you now?

What price range can you afford?  Knowing the price range will help us to point you in the right direction.  If you have $1M, go there.  If you have $750k, go there.  If you have .....
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Santa Clarita at the moment.
Price range isn't all that high - only $400-$600K and $600 would be a stretch. I checked on some realty sites within that range and it sure doens't get you much these days!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to work in downtown Long Beach. I can see the Queen Mary from my office window. The Rock Bottom Restuarant & Brewery was right down below me. Right across the street is the LB Convention Center.

Certain parts of LB are good because the city did extensive redevelopment. But in some parts its kind of run down, some places there are homeless people. Belmont Shores is pretty nice. BUT if you live anywhere where they have the LB Grand PRix, it could be a hasssle because some streets are closed off, and there is a lot of people & traffic attend the race. I would say about 1 month per year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
That is the wrong way to think about life at the beach, DpC.

It buys you a long walk or very short drive to work rather than a long drive to work.  Hours more each day to spend with your family - every day.  Less stress on your body & soul.  

Less CO2 in the air.  

Lower cost for automobiles, gasoline and auto insurance.  Plus, cars last much longer if you only commute ten minutes each way.  No more 405.  No more 14.  No more I5.  

Then there's the weather.  Warm, sunny winters.  Cool, sunny summers where 85 is a hot day.  Walk or ride a bicycle to the beach.

Try it for a few years.  I dare you to then try going back to a  1 1/2 hour commute (each way) and see what you think.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
oh no I didn't mean anything bad! It was more a comment of how prices of houses have skyrocketed since we bought our house here. We wouldn't even be able to afford the house we are living in if we had to buy it today.

As for the commute - I'm not the one commuting So it's all good for me!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Stay out of North LB and East LB, unless you like pretending you are in Compton.   For a few years in the early 90's the Sheriff's Department was contracted by LB to patrol those areas of their city.  When they did, it was the busiest, highest crime district in the entire department's jurisdiction, even surpassing their Lynwood/Firestone ghetto areas.

Stay where you are now, you are sitting on a little gold mine that is a well kept secret.  You won't find something better there for the same price.  The best test would be to keep/rent out your current place, and rent a house or apt in LB for six months.   If the job or the location don't work out, you'll still have your ticket back.   If the employer is willing to pay for relocation, your husband should be able to negotiate a few months rent (i.e. furnished Oakwood Corporate Apts type of place).
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Stay out of North LB and East LB, unless you like pretending you are in Compton.   For a few years in the early 90's the Sheriff's Department was contracted by LB to patrol those areas of their city.  When they did, it was the busiest, highest crime district in the entire department's jurisdiction, even surpassing their Lynwood/Firestone ghetto areas.

Stay where you are now, you are sitting on a little gold mine that is a well kept secret.  You won't find something better there for the same price.  The best test would be to keep/rent out your current place, and rent a house or apt in LB for six months.   If the job or the location don't work out, you'll still have your ticket back.   If the employer is willing to pay for relocation, your husband should be able to negotiate a few months rent (i.e. furnished Oakwood Corporate Apts type of place).

oh you're smart! Good idea!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
You have to negotiate the terms of the relocation allowance as part of the hiring process.  Otherwise, you will have no basis to reopen the employment offer package - you'll be out of luck.

I have no understanding of current home prices or what happens to neighborhoods over time but,....

Think about the homes on either side of Studebaker Road, just north of Seventh Street.  405 Freeway, exit Studebaker Road and go south.  As you approach the soouthern end of the road, approaching the Boeing plant, there are/were some decent houses.  It's close to Belmont Shores without the high prices.

Think about Rossmoor, in the area around and north of Leisure World.  

Oh well, just trying to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top