Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 10:52:04 AM EDT
I am so tired of the mentality here.  I am in college, and I am sooo tired of having to decide, on a constant basis, whether to open up my mouth and correct the falsehoods I hear on a daily basis or not.  My school is fully wireless, so I take my laptop with me and do work on it, stopping every now and then to take a break, check out arfcom, minding my own business.  I would say that, easily 2 or 3 times a week, some nosy *&^% comes by me, takes a look at my computer, and either tells me that I am not allowed to connect to firearms related websites here or to give me a lecture on the evils of guns.  I tend to keep my mouth shut when I pass by and hear them bitching about their crap, so why then do they feel that they have the right to talk to me about something they know nothing about and have no business nosing into my personal business in the first place?  ARRGHHHHHHH!!

Sorry for the vent....just happened a few minutes ago, third time this week.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#1]
My firm has an office in San Jose (formerly in Morgan Hill) and I always enjoyed the fantastic weather and scenery out there.  However, I have told my firm I could never move there.  The stupid laws and the traffic are just insane.  New York is bad enough without jumping completely into the fire.  If I had to move to the far west, I would go to Nevada or Oregon.  Nevada appears to be California's escape hatch whereas Vermont and Pennsylvania serve as ours.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll never forget the time I blatantly uttered the words "bull shit" in the middle of the class one day when some idiot was talking about gun control and got into the "nobody needs" line of rhetoric.

If these lilly livered bleeding heart pukes can hide behind the terms of "honor diversity" and the principles of freedom of speech while telling me that I have to listen to their arguments and consider their opinions, then damn it they are going to have to bear through my counter arguments else I may just start pounding them over the head with a billy club.

Generally I don't get too rialed up unless some asshole just continually relies on rhetoric that has been spoon fed to them.    I have SO many counter arguments and can provide them instantly to most any direction that a debate might take that the other side usually gives up VERY quickly.

I consider it a HUGE victory to make any liberal blow hard shut up out of sheer frustration.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I hear you. I have many different types of friends, most of which are extremely liberal. My observation is that many people who grow up in california, especially the bay area where i am, aren't exposed to firearms and don't have a reason to be knowledgable about them so they take the default attitude of "well if i dont know about it, it must be bad" "or everyone else thinks they are bad, then so will I"
      For the first part of my adult life i didn't own firearms until last year i decided to get a  handgun and get back into shooting. I tried to stay somewhat lowkey on the subject with my friends but now almost all of them know. Now i sense there is a timidness with certain friends when they come over, almost as if, they think they are going to get shot and just generally avoid the topic completely. My point is, i used to decide wether to try and inform them about firearms when the topic would come up or just let the converation pass. Now what i do is invite them to go shooting and offer to teach them how to shoot and how to use a firearm responsibly. I think giving that experience can change the mentality you are describing. Less talking, more shooting! =)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
i guarantee , those people who mock you will be the first at your doorstep begging and pleading to save their ass , when the shtf. they are sheeple, they do not know how to think for themselves. they are of weak character and has no will of their own. this country was based upon freedom! and i exercise my rights everyday when i come home and talk to my guns

meat
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Most college students are up for a healthy debate, the ones that believe the hype are morons that let their emotions get in the way of intelligence and reason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
no shit, tjmz...I'm in class right now, listening to bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm tired of the Californians attitudes, and I live in WA!

I feel for you. Please, convince a liberal to stay in Cali and move up here instead of them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes we are unfairly judged and looked upon as lunatics and serial killers. The unfortunate fact of life of being a firearms owner in PRK. The best way to deal with them is to dispell myths and educate. Cursing and belittling does nothing than to reinforce stereotypes of gun owners. Most of it is utter ignorance or fear of firearms. Educate and even offer to take people (your closer friends) to the range and see them change their attitudes and become gun owners. I should know, I was, I am ashamed to admit, a former anti.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
they can eat my shorts when they come begging to "borrow" a firearm next time there's a riot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#12]
just graduated from csulb in may of '04.  i had many of those kinds of debates.  but for those of you who are in school let me tell you it doesn't really get too much better once you move into the working world.  i just got a job at a big loan corporation in orange county.  i put up some nice wallpaper on my computer directly from the springfield armory website of a 1911 on top of a ww2 jacket.  it lasted all of about five minutes before i had a manager come and tell that wasn't approriate for the office.  i tried to test the waters a little further today.  i year ago i had some female friends give me a  gi joe type action figure in bdu's with an m4.  he stands about 8 inches tall.  i set him up on my desk, and once again my manager stated that it would be best to take him because "of the whole weapon thing."  gotta love working for the big corporation.  part of me wanted to go to HR and complain that i was victim of harrasment and unfair treatment but being that i've been at this job for all of about 2 weeks i want to keep it.  maybe i can put a USMC poster or something...

God Bless the PRK
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I have noticed more college students spew out anti-gun propaganda in the last few years. So much for "Higher education"...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
GO BEACH !!!

if someone challenges you on your beliefs then tell them to piss off, mind their own business, and go away.

unfortunately the gun subject is controversial, and sometimes its best to not even bring it up in certain places, like school and work. even if only for personal security reasons, you dont need a bunch of strangers knowing you have guns, cuz then the wrong people find out and bad stuff can happen. then theres just being labeled a gun nut, which is something you cant win when confronted by a professor and whole class that cant think for themselves.
i had a professor who claimed to be an NRA member but was against guns, and said he thought his own friends were weird for having like 30 guns. i wanted to challenge him on his stupidity and mis-information, but its a no win situation.

and certain skools are a lot more liberal than others, no matter what state, so maybe keep the arfkom viewing for home in your own privacy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#15]
What I notice is that these anti-gun idiots typically don't live in the real world.  They live in their sheltered, wealthy and protected neighborhood and are idealists whose views of how things work are different from reality.  Most of them have to be in a situation where they wish they had a means to protect themselves to realize it.  They're not called sheeps without justification.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I feel for you. Please, convince a liberal to stay in Cali and move up here instead of them.

LOL.  My mother moved up to Seattle a little over a year ago; West Seattle, to be exact.  There was a rapist operating over there, so she asked me to go up there and help her pick out a handgun for protection.  So I brought my HK up with me, with the idea of leaving it there for her to use until she found one she really liked.  I called the police and sheriff departments there to get a handle on the laws because I wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any, and woman at the police department I talked to started laughing.....she told me to make sure my mother knew how to use it and tell her that rapists don't deserve to live!  I was absolutely shocked!!  It was so refreshing!  We ended up getting her a Beretta, very nice

Actually, I met CavVet up there, really cool guy....he let me shoot his AR, my first time.  What a thrill!  Then I had to come back to Cali and realize what I was really missing out on....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]

just graduated from csulb in may of '04. i had many of those kinds of debates. but for those of you who are in school let me tell you it doesn't really get too much better once you move into the working world. i just got a job at a big loan corporation in orange county. i put up some nice wallpaper on my computer directly from the springfield armory website of a 1911 on top of a ww2 jacket. it lasted all of about five minutes before i had a manager come and tell that wasn't approriate for the office. i tried to test the waters a little further today. i year ago i had some female friends give me a gi joe type action figure in bdu's with an m4. he stands about 8 inches tall. i set him up on my desk, and once again my manager stated that it would be best to take him because "of the whole weapon thing." gotta love working for the big corporation. part of me wanted to go to HR and complain that i was victim of harrasment and unfair treatment but being that i've been at this job for all of about 2 weeks i want to keep it. maybe i can put a USMC poster or something...

You know,
Its good to pick and choose your battles .  Sometimes it may not be the right battle, but you need to pick it just to spit in there face.
I run my own company (construction), and personally insure that all my trucks have American Flag stickers, and progun bumper stickers.  I'm sure it drives liberal union guys crazy.
My company jersey's have scripture underneath the logo.
The only thing I dont allow on MY TRUCKS is stupid liberal thinking stickers, or liberal candidate bumper stickers.

you dont need a bunch of strangers knowing you have guns, cuz then the wrong people find out and bad stuff can happen. then theres just being labeled a gun nut, which is something you cant win when confronted by a professor and whole class that cant think for themselves.

Garand1911,
What are you afraid of, do you own soething illegal?  I see your concerns if that is the problem, but being on these boards, I would assume the government already knows that you have one or more AR's.
Who cares if you get labeled a right wing gun nut.  Its who you are.  Call me a conservative right wing christian gun nut all day long, nothing bad is going to come from that.
I'll take it even one step further, you should bbe inviting some of these lefties to go shooting with you.  I take every advantage I can to invite soe ignorant guns are evil lefty, so he can learn the truth.  
Remember, it is the Truth that sets you free!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

you dont need a bunch of strangers knowing you have guns, cuz then the wrong people find out and bad stuff can happen. then theres just being labeled a gun nut, which is something you cant win when confronted by a professor and whole class that cant think for themselves.

Garand1911,
What are you afraid of, do you own soething illegal?  I see your concerns if that is the problem, but being on these boards, I would assume the government already knows that you have one or more AR's.
Who cares if you get labeled a right wing gun nut.  Its who you are.  Call me a conservative right wing christian gun nut all day long, nothing bad is going to come from that.
I'll take it even one step further, you should bbe inviting some of these lefties to go shooting with you.  I take every advantage I can to invite soe ignorant guns are evil lefty, so he can learn the truth.  
Remember, it is the Truth that sets you free!

I think hes trying to say that if the wrong people find out you have guns they may want to get their grubby hands on them..
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have noticed more college students spew out anti-gun propaganda in the last few years. So much for "Higher education"...

It's the BS from watching too many of those anti-gun TV shows such as ER etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#20]

I think hes trying to say that if the wrong people find out you have guns they may want to get their grubby hands on them..

DOH!

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#21]
thanks Skammy, thats exactly what i meant

if i had a picasso hanging in my house i sure wouldnt be talking about it in public or outside of circles i dont know or trust. i seen too many people talk and show off what they got, and it ends up getting stolen.

the govt already knows what i got through registration, and from being on here, so that doesnt bother me.

i dont like to advertise when it comes to guns, or anything else .
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry,
not a flame.  I'm just a plumber, and have no reading comprehension skills.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#23]
no sweat
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:35:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.  My mother moved up to Seattle a little over a year ago; West Seattle, to be exact.  There was a rapist operating over there, so she asked me to go up there and help her pick out a handgun for protection.  So I brought my HK up with me, with the idea of leaving it there for her to use until she found one she really liked.  I called the police and sheriff departments there to get a handle on the laws because I wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any, and woman at the police department I talked to started laughing.....she told me to make sure my mother knew how to use it and tell her that rapists don't deserve to live!  I was absolutely shocked!!  It was so refreshing!  We ended up getting her a Beretta, very nice

Actually, I met CavVet up there, really cool guy....he let me shoot his AR, my first time.  What a thrill!  Then I had to come back to Cali and realize what I was really missing out on....

Sheriff down here told a friend of mine to kill an intruder if he had one, cause he's way out in the boonies and he and teh Deputies are 45 minutes out.

CavVets a badass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top