Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 5:11:40 PM EDT
I'm a Nevada resident.  I'm looking at taking a course from www.tftt.com later this year.  I'd like to use a pre-'94 ban Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A.  It has an evil flash suppressor and an evil bayonet lug.  These are legal under federal and Nevada law.

Is there not an exemption in California law that allows out of state visitors attending formal firearms training classes to be in possession of semi-automatic firearms that are legal under federal law?  

Thanks,

Different  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#1]
No one would ever ask you about your M1A. M1A's are sold throughout CA. There are many M1A's with the original muzzle device in the hands of CA residents. The weapons that are stressed as assault weapons are pistol grip weapons with the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

I'm sure you know this already though.

So there is a provision which allows Out-of-State competitive shooters who wish to use their assault weapons in this state. You can lawfully possess an assault weapon here by following certain rules. You are referred to CA penal code section 12280(K).

Hang in there I know that this is for "competitive shooters" and you are trying to attend a "course". I'll try and do some more researching.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Better yet why not just call the CA Dept. of Justice Firearms Division? It's no biggie. You get the answer straight from the horses mouth and you could even keep a record of whom you spoke with if you are that concerned. I have called them of much bigger matters in the past.

Here is the general info line (916)263-4887

Assault Weapons and Special permits (916)227-3694
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Firecontrolman, thank you very much.  I'll give the CA DOJ a telephone call.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top