Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not gonna lie, I always wore mine when offshore by myself or when with my kids.  I was always terrified of seeing my boat idle away from me as I was treading water.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not gonna lie, I always wore mine when offshore by myself or when with my kids.  I was always terrified of seeing my boat idle away from me as I was treading water.
View Quote

Me Too. Who hasn't worn one when conditions warranted it? But 24/7/365 or a monetary penalty ? Total BS.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I wear one when I feel like I need it, but the last thing we need is more laws.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wear one when I feel like I need it, but the last thing we need is more laws.
View Quote

Definitely this......................have an automatic inflatable vest with attached safety lanyard that is worn when warranted (no, not part in my total life vest count)

pretty soon: no sharp hooks cause you might get impaled, no open toed shoes or barefoot, you might stub your toe, etc..  Whatever happened to common sense????????
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#5]
That's certainly a sad outcome but it's very rare that someone get thrown from their running boat (Yeah, it happens but not very often).  I wear mine if I'm alone on the boat even though I'm on a CC with seats, so the likelihood of me getting tossed is very slim.  How long before boat seatbelts are required?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I always clip the kill cord to myself when I am operating a boat. However, I agree, another law isn’t going to make people safer, it is just going to create more ways to rack up fines and legal fees. If the State feels something needs to be done, I would rather see educational efforts. Post signs a boat ramps, pamphlets at marina stores, free floating key fobs with the message, that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
As a general rule, if a law is named after a recently deceased person, it's going to be a bad law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top