Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2020 4:08:06 PM EDT
ETA 3:  Updated memo from Pinellas County clarifying the effect of both Pinellas County and FL Gov EOs:  http://pinellascounty.org/emergency/covid19/FAQ-Stay-at-Home-Order.pdf

ETA: the resolution here http://www.pinellascounty.org/emergency/PDF/covid19/res20-20.pdf

ETA2:  In reading the list of closed and opened businesses, I don't see gunshops exempted as Essential Businesses -- although the liquor stores and medical marijuana shops are.

Pinellas orders county to stay at home amid coronavirus, first in Tampa Bay to enact measure

As a further measure to curb the spread of coronavirus, the Pinellas County Commission on Wednesday unanimously directed the county’s nearly 1 million residents to stay at home except for essential activity like trips for groceries, medical needs and jobs deemed essential.

The “safer at home” directive, which takes effect at 11:27 a.m. on Thursday and will last at least seven days, also permits residents to exercise outside as long as they keep six feet from others and avoid groups larger than 10 people.

The step was needed, county administrator Barry Burton said, because even after officials closed public access to the county’s 35 miles of beaches Friday night, people still crowded bookstores and held social gatherings, ignoring warnings that social distancing could stop the spread of the virus.

“Our health professionals are pleading with us that if we don’t act now, it will be too late,” Burton said. “The residents of Pinellas County and the Tampa Bay area need to take this seriously."

The directive specifies three dozen categories of businesses that are considered essential and can remain open, including groceries; infrastructure like utilities, distributors and construction; government services; healthcare providers; gas stations; restaurants serving only to-go food; news media; laundromats, banks and hotels. It keeps open parks and boat ramps.

The directive allows non-essential businesses to remain open as long as they follow Centers for Disease Control social distancing guidance. Commissioner Ken Welch initially worried the exception was an “Achilles heel." But by the end of the two-hour discussion, he said it could help curb infections while not killing “more jobs than we absolutely have to.”

Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said he supported the order. He said county officials have been flooded with pleas from business owners already reeling from the effects of the pandemic and trying to continue operating with reduced income.

He said county officials will enforce through education. Deputies will deliver notices to every business in the county that details the directive and the CDC recommendations about proper social distancing, he said.

“The message we want to send is ‘help us help you,’” Gualtieri said. “This isn’t locking down Pinellas County ... But you all need to do more.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sheriff Bob "We'll draw our weapons on anyone open carrying" Gualtieri is completely full of shit. He fought tooth and nail to not shut down the beaches during Spring Break. He had every excuse in the world. He received a shit ton of backlash from residents, so since he's running for re-election, suddenly these are measures he fully supports.

Fuck Sheriff Bob.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
So...See you guys on the road tomorrow?

League night tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife is making a list of things to get from grocery store just to top us off, I expect a YUGE rush to the store tonight.  yes, I know grocery stores will still be open and going there will still be allowed, but the Sheep are gonna Sheep...
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wife is making a list of things to get from grocery store just to top us off, I expect a YUGE rush to the store tonight.  yes, I know grocery stores will still be open and going there will still be allowed, but the Sheep are gonna Sheep...
View Quote
Just ran out for the essentials.  Bananas and hotdogs.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

did you see WAC shut down for at least 2 weeks starting today?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

did you see WAC shut down for at least 2 weeks starting today?
View Quote
I did not.  Thanks for the heads up.  Glad I crammed in some load development in the past week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
In reading the list of closed and opened businesses, I don't see gunshops exempted as Essential Businesses -- although the liquor stores and medical marijuana shops are.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
They said any non essential business can stay open as long as they stick to the CDC guidelines with the 6 foot rule. A commissioner specifically asked the question during the meeting today about a book store. The county administrator said they can stay open as long as they abide by the social distancing rules.

I drive by Shoots Straight yesterday around 1 and there was a line of people of about 25 people outside waiting to get in and they were all spaced apart. Not sure if the workers were spacing them out or if everyone did it themselves. They had more distancing them you see at Publix.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They said any non essential business can stay open as long as they stick to the CDC guidelines with the 6 foot rule. A commissioner specifically asked the question during the meeting today about a book store. The county administrator said they can stay open as long as they abide by the social distancing rules.

I drive by Shoots Straight yesterday around 1 and there was a line of people of about 25 people outside waiting to get in and they were all spaced apart. Not sure if the workers were spacing them out or if everyone did it themselves. They had more distancing them you see at Publix.
View Quote

Excellent update, thanks.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I went to a jewelry/coin shop in St. Pete and they were only letting three people in at a time and you had to be back a good distance from the front register.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Our Alachua County  Stay home order had "safety" products listed as essential so guns, ammo, are all deemed essential some shops have MREs, dried food and Black Rifle coffee so they are good even if yours didnt have the "safety" provision written in. We went back and added pawn shops in cause everyone is going ro be broke with no job and will need to pawn stuff.
Politicians are lazy and just recycle what someone else did. So you all probably have the "safety" thing written in.
Looks like some states shut down guns stores.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#13]
They are going to shut down Naples today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does anyone know if gun shops are buying ammo/guns at good prices?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does anyone know if gun shops are buying ammo/guns at good prices?
View Quote

I don't know about that but on my way home last night I drove by Shoot Straight again and they had a long line waiting to get in again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't know about that but on my way home last night I drove by Shoot Straight again and they had a long line waiting to get in again.
View Quote

I wonder what they would do if I tried to sell boxes of 9mm in the parking lot for $20 a piece while people were waiting for them to open.

I’d imagine they’d go quick enough that SS wouldn’t have time to kick me out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#17]
updated with latest FAQ from Pinellas County, clarifying the effect of both Pinellas County and FL Gov EOs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top