Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2010 7:43:17 PM EDT
So i saw on the news that a 26 year old homeowner with his family were driving up to their house and saw two legs hanging out of a window of the house. The man walked up, pulled out a 44 magnum (yes he had a CCW) and fired a shot into the ground. The robber jumped out and was held there by the man until the cops came.

Ive had a CCW for a while now and i was under the impression that if you pull it, you must be in fear of your life and looking to kill someone because of that. Now dont get me wrong, F that burglar and im glad he was caught, but i would "think" that he would have been in a little bit of shit for that.

Like i said, if your on someones property trying to break in, you get what you deserve, but they dont lead you to believe that when you read about the CCW.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i was under the impression that if you pull it, you must be in fear of your life and looking to kill someone because of that.

police/prosecutorial discretion.... not something I'd do, but it worked for this guy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
there are no shots fired unless you are aiming at them....shoot to kill every time...
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
very risky and unsafe.  NO WARNING SHOTS.........
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
there are no shots fired unless you are aiming at them....shoot to kill every time...

What Sluggo said!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe with a CWL you are justified in using deadly force to prevent a forcible felony such as rape, robbery, burglary, or kidnapping.  I am unsure as to the exact circumstances but I still do agree that if you decide to shoot you should be shooting to kill.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#6]
All "warning shots" should be center mass or head shots.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All "warning shots" should be center mass or head shots.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Shit, he was on his property, I consider that target shooting. I do it all the time at all hours at my place

Think I'd grabbed the dumb ass by his legs and snatched him out so he fell face flat then asked him:
"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well,
to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track
myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in
the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask
yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
forcible felony
Burglary is 1 of these. Add to that it's on your property. You have every right to defend it.  Now warning shots? Yeah those are not good, & in this case seems to be in favor of the home owner. However a LEO or court could see it different if it was pushed. The best defense is you shot at him & missed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#10]
shoot to STOP not to "kill"

"kill" could be misconstrued as intent
stop means what it says.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Instructor at my CWL class said absolutely no warning shots... Depending on where you live you can be charged with illegal discharge of a firearm
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shit, he was on his property, I consider that target shooting. I do it all the time at all hours at my place

Think I'd grabbed the dumb ass by his legs and snatched him out so he fell face flat then asked him:"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

LOL, yea that would have worked!

It was a chrome 44, not big into the showy weapons like that, but i kinda liked it.

I dont really disagree with pulling it because it showed the guy he was serious (still not the best thing to do) but the warning shot was a no-go.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think I'd grabbed the dumb ass by his legs and snatched him out so he fell face flat then asked him:"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

LOL, yea that would have worked!

It was a chrome 44, not big into the showy weapons like that, but i kinda liked it.

I dont really disagree with pulling it because it showed the guy he was serious (still not the best thing to do) but the warning shot was a no-go.

It wasn't a warning shot, it was a miss

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Instructor at my CWL class said absolutely no warning shots... Depending on where you live you can be charged with illegal discharge of a firearm

I wouldn't take everything said by a CCWL instructor as gospel .
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
shoot to STOP not to "kill"

"kill" could be misconstrued as intent
stop means what it says.

Its not what you say its how you say it
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
should of point blank shot him in foot or knee. wont be coming around again
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#18]
How long ago was this and could the home owner still face some type of charges?  just wondering....
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 3:29:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, he was shooting to stop the threat, no?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#20]
here is the news story, the intruder was 16 years old? do you still think he did the right move?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/crime/041210homeowner-shoots-teen-intruder
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top