Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 10:09:42 PM EDT
I'm looking to protect my firearms from theft and would like to check out/buy a safe. Since I'm just starting out, I probably don't need anything more than the ~10 gun size, but would like a sturdy (non-fire resistant) safe.

Anyone have any recommendations on local stores, contacts, or have one for sale?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out Sam's Club.  Dicks also have a pretty good selections too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a suggestion, if you live in a house(have the space) get a safe much bigger than you think you need.  They never hold as many guns as you think, and you need room for growth

When they say it's a 10 gun safe, you may fit 10 if they are all plain jane rifles with nothing on them.  An AR takes up 2 spots for example.  

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Dick's and Gander Mountain have a decent selection. Around Christmas, I've seen Super Walmart have a few too.

Also try Home Depot, i've seen them there too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on your budget and your desire to purchase locally, I'd suggest Dick's for a cheap ($600-1000) entry level safe (Sentry, etc...), Gander Mountain for a low to mid level safe (Liberty, $1k-5k), and Piners for something on the higher end ($2.5k & way, way up).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Neil, and everyone else for the suggestions.
I made some rounds and Dick's had a decent Sentry for <$400, but I think I may go with this one, a Stack-On 10-gun safe:

On sale at Sport's Authority for $319 w/ 15% sale ($271), and have a $50 gift card, so $221+tax. Since GG, the BATFE, and Bushido Tactical are taking all my money (willingly), I figure I can go slightly cheap on this first safe just to get the guns some protection while I work on filling up the safe...

I only have 4 long guns and 3 pistols so it will have some room leftover...
Any experience with this safe? It is definitely on the inexpensive/cheap side of safes, but better than nothing and not made out of sheet metal with a key lock...

Any words to the wise? Dehumidifying device? Maybe a self-adhesive LED light for the interior?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Hide it in a closet, bolt it down good to the walls and floor.  A safe that size can be removed with minimal effort by one guy and a hand truck or two guys working in tandem.  Still beats no safe by a long margin, though, and it's better then one of those steel security cabinets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top