Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 11:43:05 AM EDT
I am really wanting to get into this and was about to purchase the 550b from Dillon but Im cold feet when it comes to all the problems that could arise from it.  If anyone is hand loading and would not mind me sitting over shoulder and giving me some pointers, Id appreciate it more than you know!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
you are not the only one who wants to learn, I wish I could watch some one too..I wish there was a class I would take it in a sec
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Guys... I started handloading back in the early 90's before the net. I learned from books. Now the net is here and all the info you need is online. I suggest a simple press like a Lyman Tmag II in a Lyman Expert Kit, it comes with everything you need to get going, including a handbook.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Guys... I started handloading back in the early 90's before the net. I learned from books. Now the net is here and all the info you need is online. I suggest a simple press like a Lyman Tmag II in a Lyman Expert Kit, it comes with everything you need to get going, including a handbook.

Yep, it's easy. I would stay away from progressive stuff until I have the basics down. You don't need to spend a fortune on equipment either, biggest mistake I made was buying a bunch of gizmos I didn't need. ABCs of reloading would be a good book to start with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
get a single stage press, and the Speer Reloading Manual #13 is a good book for starters. That's what I've used, and I've done a bit of .223 and i'm happy with what i produce.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Joey said it.  Get a single stage and a book and go at it.  I used to do it years ago, but just don't have the time any more.  But with the way prices are going, a progressive setup is looking better and better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
what would you guys recommend on the single stage.  I am hording info right now but the information is overwhelming.  I think it would be simple enough but just scared to jump in.  Pointers would rule.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
is reloading ok for polish people I would hate for me to kill myself, I know there is a lot of thing you have to do in order..
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Miami, and I have (2) 550bs, one with a casefeeder and one without. Send me an email at bigdog.re(at)gmail.com, and maybe we can get together so you can check it out. Reloading is fun, and once you learn the steps, easy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#9]
email inbound!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 for learn the basics with a simple single stage like Rockcrusher.
Learn to set up dies....case prep...weight charges, set primers and seating depth first.
When you're comfortable with the basics....then add in the Progressive.
You'll need the same tools anyways and will not be too badly intimidated by the mechanics of a progressive system....as your first entry into reloading.

Yes...you can get hurt of you mess up..so do it correctly right from the start.

Lotsa fun and usually much better ammo..though not usually cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
what would you guys recommend on the single stage.  I am hording info right now but the information is overwhelming.  I think it would be simple enough but just scared to jump in.  Pointers would rule.  

I think you are reading way too much into it.. What caliber are you going to start with? The TMAG I mentioned earlier will allow you to put dies for at least two calibers on it at one time.

Rifle
1.lube cases
2.resize, neck expand and deprime one action
3. measure case length, trim if needed
4. Prime cases, on press at first, buy hand primer later
5. Charge case, use a loading block, after loading shine flashlight on them to make sure all the cases are charged and appear to have the same level of powder.
6. Seat bullet to correct overall length and crimp.

It is that simple. Don't start buy loading max charges, the book will show you signs of over pressure and how to examine cases for wear.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm in Miami, and I have (2) 550bs, one with a casefeeder and one without. Send me an email at bigdog.re(at)gmail.com, and maybe we can get together so you can check it out. Reloading is fun, and once you learn the steps, easy.

BigDog...

Send SGB and IM to be added to this list if you please.

Florida Reloading Mentors

David
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are reading way too much into it.. What caliber are you going to start with? The TMAG I mentioned earlier will allow you to put dies for at least two calibers on it at one time.

Rifle
1.lube cases
2.resize, neck expand and deprime one action
3. measure case length, trim if needed
4. Prime cases, on press at first, buy hand primer later
5. Charge case, use a loading block, after loading shine flashlight on them to make sure all the cases are charged and appear to have the same level of powder.
6. Seat bullet to correct overall length and crimp.

It is that simple. Don't start buy loading max charges, the book will show you signs of over pressure and how to examine cases for wear.

once you get the habit of doing it, it's alot easier than it seems. One step un-primes, and opens up the neck...then you have a seperate thingy to put in the primers. THen you charge them to the appropriate load, then seat bullets and crimp
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Also check on FSN south florida section for components. There is a group buy for powder and primers at national gun shop.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Does any one know a good video to watch?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does any one know a good video to watch?

RCBS has one on actual loading process, Dillon videos mainly show how to setup their presses. Lyman has one, don't know if Hornady has one.
Good Luck, GunWhoreDer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top