Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 9:37:25 AM EDT
Question 6 on the application asks for proof of firearms training

I am active duty military.  Since a DD214 (discharge paperwork) is listed military training must be meet the training requirement.  What can an active duty soldier provide that the state will accept as proof?  

Thanks
Caflin
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Viable options for proof of competency are included in the application material.  

The florida statutes also list the various options as follows (number 5 applies to active duty military):

1.  Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2.  Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3.  Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4.  Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5.  Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6.  Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7.  Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor

The statute goes on stating that a photocopy of a certificate or affadavit from your organization confirming your training will suffice.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If you cannot provide any such certificate or affidavit, you could just spring for one of those gun show safety courses.  They are not that expensive and are done in a couple of hours.

<<Edited for grammar>>
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
When I applied for mine I sent a copy of my orders assigning me to US Southern Command and a copy of my ID card along with the packet.  I got mine in about a month.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I sent the same question to the state a few days ago and haven't heard anything back.

I think what I will do is get a memo typed up on my unit letterhead stating that I have recieved basic and advanced rifle marksmanship training and list my different weapons qualifications.  Maybe attach the qualification cards.  Have it signed by the commander or training officer.  Also, include a copy of my ID.

Think that's enough?  Would the memo have to be notarized?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I sent the same question to the state a few days ago and haven't heard anything back.

I think what I will do is get a memo typed up on my unit letterhead stating that I have recieved basic and advanced rifle marksmanship training and list my different weapons qualifications.  Maybe attach the qualification cards.  Have it signed by the commander or training officer.  Also, include a copy of my ID.

Think that's enough?  Would the memo have to be notarized?

That should probably work. Notarizing the memo wouldnt hurt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top