Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2003 10:21:55 AM EDT
I am currently a resident of New York. I'm in the process of moving to FL. Can I ship my rifles to myself here in FL? I have a new safe being delivered next week to a locked storage facility. Plan to bring a few with me the next time I fly and store them there. I'm trying to find out if I can get them here via UPS direct to me or do I need a dealer. If I need a dealer can a New York dealer send them to me? Can I send them myself from New York to a FL dealer and pick them up from the Fl dealer?
Any idea where to find out the dos and don'ts?
Gerry
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Bring'em with you.  This state is gun friendly right now.  If more northerner's move down here with the ideas or bring thier beliefs down here it will probably change.  Florida gun laws are under Florida Statues 790. You can go online via myflorida.com and look them up and read the whole thing for yourself.  You don't need to send your firearms to a ffl so they can hold on to them while you get permission from the local sherrif.  and one last thing you don't need permission from dad (local sheriff) to buy a firearm (handgun or long gun).  You only have a 3 day wait for handguns (none for long guns) in most counties but some have inacted county ordances dealing w/firearms.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
To exapand on what he said...You don't need a permit or lisence of any kind. You can just bring the guns with you. No FFL needed. As for local laws, that is pretty much limited to SE Florida (Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach) and a few areas of Central Florida.

Basically, the Florida Constitution (1991 Amendment) and State Law (1987) prohibited all local gun laws. Our legislators refused to allow localities to violate the state constitution and state law by passing gun laws. So, in 1998...the Anti-Gunners blasted the sheeple with ADs about the "Gun Show Loophole." An amendment [to the state constitution] was passed [by the sheeple err voters] creating a new exception to our version of the second amendment.

Basically, it allows counties to pass laws requiring a waiting period at Gun Shows. Fortunately, only a few counties actually passed such laws.

A few localities claimed for a while that the amendment revoked the state ban on local laws completely...even though the amendment only mentions waiting periods and never said it revoked our RKBA. Thus, some localities tried to pass laws beyond the scope of the amendment. South Miami's law was struck down by the state not long ago and some other localities quickly repealed laws rather than let the state strike 'em down as illegal and unconstitutional, which they are.

Quoted:
Bring'em with you.  This state is gun friendly right now.  If more northerner's move down here with the ideas or bring thier beliefs down here it will probably change.  Florida gun laws are under Florida Statues 790. You can go online via myflorida.com and look them up and read the whole thing for yourself.  You don't need to send your firearms to a ffl so they can hold on to them while you get permission from the local sherrif.  and one last thing you don't need permission from dad (local sheriff) to buy a firearm (handgun or long gun).  You only have a 3 day wait for handguns (none for long guns) in most counties but some have inacted county ordances dealing w/firearms.

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help. I realize I can drive them down. Does anyone know if I can use UPS and mail them from NY to myself in FL?
I'm going back to NY next week and could package them up and send them to myself in FL. Is this legal?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help. I realize I can drive them down. Does anyone know if I can use UPS and mail them from NY to myself in FL?
I'm going back to NY next week and could package them up and send them to myself in FL. Is this legal?

I don't think it's a matter of Fl law, since you're sending them over state lines.  I'm afraid you'll have to use a FFL.

Try Packing.org
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's some stuff from the BATFE FAQ that may be helpful:

B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B11) May a person who is relocating out-of-state move firearms with other household goods? [Back]

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her state of residence. Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, Washington, DC 20226, before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check state and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new state does not violate any state law or local ordinance. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 4), 27 CFR 178.28 and 178.31]

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks SMProud. If I'd been thinking I would have gone to the ATF site myself.
Looks like I'll be shipping a few of my "toys" next week.
Gerry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top