Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2003 10:36:29 AM EDT
Those of you in South Florida may have heard of Pop's or even shot there on occasion.

On Monday, July 28th, at 4 PM there will be a hearing at the Broward County Courthouse to determine the future of the land Pop Dean left to Sharon, who has been gracious enough to allow us to ocasionally use it.

The South Florida Water Management District is suing to take the land away, close it off, kick Sharon out and, according to her lawyers, even throw her in jail. Personally I don't think she's had the benefit of competant or compassionate representation, and she's being railroaded.

I don't know that there's much that can be done at this late hour except to be there in a show of support. The benefit to the community that Pop Dean provided has been carried on by his widow Sharon, and now's an opportunity to pay some of that back.

I'll post more specifics later, but if you can please plan on being at the courthouse on Monday afternoon.

Thank you.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Never shot there but heard it was a good relief from the range Nazi's at Markham Park.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I spoke with Sharon again and this is just an order to allow SFWM on to the property to test and add a well, stuff like that. Her lawyers - who may or may not be on the up and up - are saying that no one need show up; because of the stress Sharon most probably won't go either.

Sorry if this seemed an over-reaction, but IMO it could be the start down that slippery slope to take over the property.

If anything changes or comes up I'll post it here.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Chetchat, I was actually going to be down Monday and would have been happy to lend her a hand.

If you're off maybe we can connect, I've got yet a few more new toys to play with, definitely some stuff you'll find fun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Monday may be good Phil - I'll email you later this evening. Thanks :)
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I know where the Dean place is, just wondering how to get an invite to play there. I have heard what can only be some folks having a blast (pun intended) lately! After seeing a bazillion LEO's in full swat regalia monitering a week-end bike function there awhile back, I always wondered what went on there!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Chetchat, I have used Papa Dean's many times and would like to know how I can help.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot there myself, with SFDCC and my friend who introduced me to Sharon several months ago. I even strung barb wire there before. Anything Sister Sharon needs, just ask!
Please keep us updated. Our tradition in Southeast Florida of quality outdoor locations to go shooting is almost extinct. If not for Sharon, it's a 90 minute trip out to Picayune Strand State Forest. Markham Park is a joke!
Unless you are BSO! Update us please before July 28th.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
As it stands now - according to Sharon's attorneys - there's no need to appear at the courthouse on the 28th, the judge will issue the access order regardless.

Thanks for the replies and offers to help. I'll definately keep you posted on developments.

Just FYI for those who don't know - "Pop" Dean Bishop passed away many months ago and left his widow the property that the range sits on. The range was Pop's way of preserving the American heritage many of us enjoy today, private gun ownership - his range allowed us to actively pursue that right.

After he passed away there were issues with squatters on the property, people using it as a dumping ground, SFWM and DER agents trespassing and running around whenever they wanted. Sharon had no sense of privacy or security and was dealing with a variety of problems, including people shooting on her property she didn't know, some of them unsafe. It was getting out of hand.

A community of concerned citizens put up a gate, locked it and posted No Trespassing signs. This has made a world of difference for Sharon, now she has control over who is on her property, increasing security and her sense of well-being.

Why does SFWM and DER want her property, want to kick her off? It might be as simple a reason as, they just can. Their ulimate agenda is control - her property abuts a main north-south water levy.

Are there other underlying powwers at work? Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne - remember him, the guy who went on CNN nationally with a live broadcast and lied about the power of "assault weapons", a lie which CNN had to later recant? Apparently he's ordered his officers to stay away from Pop's unless they're issuing a summons or making an arrest. LEOs have always been welcome and encouraged to shoot at Pop's and do so almost daily. That Jennne would do this is another despicable action on his part and impacts all citizens in Broward by limiting the resources his officers have at their disposal. I wouldn't be surprised if he's somehow influencing this.

I'll post updates and info here as I get it.

Thank you all again.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in Hollywood florida and just bought my first ar about 2 months ago. Where is this place? Also if I could be of help please email me and let me know what I can do. Mike
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Spoke with Sharon again last night; she won a delay in implementation of the SFWM testing and well digging scheduled for Sept. 1st - it's been pushed back to Nov. 4th through Dec. 4th.

Unless things change, access to the range will be shutdown during that time and Sharon will probably be staying at a Holiday Inn or other facility while they complete their testing, etc.

And depending on what they find and the disposition of the court, the DER may declare the place a hazardous waste site and shut it down permanently.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Nick, can we do anything to help the situation along before then?  Maybe clean up all the loose brass and stuff?

Moe
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:49:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, I don't think that would help in this case - that stuff is easily picked up and wouldn't create a "hazardous site" designation.

Apparently there are items buried on the property - Pop Dean had the ground level raised to avoid flooding. The SFWM will be using magnetometers initially to look for anomalies, then probably try to take samples and/or dig them up.

The idea is to get the place declared unfit and kick Sharon off. Illogically - typically - SFWM has claimed they're not interested in the property per se since it can't be cleaned without incurring exhorbitant costs. Apparently Pop's place is the last in that particular sector that they haven't scooped up/kicked the owners off of yet.    

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#13]
 SWFM = NAZI

Bastards!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top