Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2002 3:31:55 PM EDT
Im buying a G3 this spring. I see many G3's available from FAC, Joeken,and a few others. I see different types of recievers the majority of the builders are making them on century recievers. I know I want a stamped reciever, this I have already decided. I was going to buy a cetme because I didnt understand the difference, but believe me now after seeing a cetme I know for sure it is not the same as a G3. I have always wanted one since I fired a real G3 with the meat grinder(folder) in Saudi and an HK91 of a freind in the military when we got back in the 90's. The price (upper $400's to lower $500's) is the most atractive thing to me. I have been shooting my AR's here in wyoming and I get frustrated by the effect of the swirling wind that plagues us year round on the accuracy of a little 55-62 grain bullet. I love shooting the 147 grain 308s here because they are hardly effected at reasonable ranges. I have already bought magazines, and other accessories for my future rifle purchase. I need some suggestions on pitfalls to avoid and suggested suppliers of this weapon I may have missed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a real HK or wait get an FMP receiver and find someone to build.Cal's has 3 HK 91's and sells all HK accessories try his page
http://www.calssportingarmory.com/
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The stamped CETME's are built with
the SAME Century receiver as the G3's
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the G3 style rear sight and the black plastic furniture, other wise I would consider a CETME. As far as getting a real HK is concerned; it took me 20 years to find/save the money to buy a 50 cal rifle (nearly twice the price of a HK) so if I consider the $1000+ (closer to $1500 price) of an good condition HK would I want to wait 10 years? I always considered the high HK price a might out of hand. So maybe if these FMP assembled rifles are in the same price range as the century built ones and it has something more to offer I can consider it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the best piece of advise i can give.
When looking for any type of G3/91 or Cetme,make absolutely sure you take a chamberable laser bore sighter to insert in the chamber and check for barrel alingment and sight alingment.This is a major problem you do not want to discover after you have taken the rifle home and the seller has spent your money.There are an awful lot of improperly built rifles out on the market right now,and a chamberable bore sight is the only safe way to make sure you don't go to the burn ward.

Also, Cetme and G3 recievers are not the same.The Cetme has a crappy rear sight and the rear profile of the reciever is completely different than the G3,that is why stocks do not switch without a lot of grinding on the Cetme,other than those 2 things they are the same.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
now thats advice I can take to the bank! I see alot of people talking about some clearance problem with the bolt can you elaborate on this? I hear about cases being destroyed by the gun during extraction/ejection (not ruptures or separations but something different), and a co-worker that owns a nearly new HK-91 says his destroys the cases as far as reloading them is concerned. I havent seen his gun to see what he is talking about, maybe he is reffering to the dent on the case mouth. Hell, even my AR dents the case mouth but a quick resize on a press fixes that. so you know what he means here?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Brand New 19723 vintage (Saco Import)HK91 and a slightly used HK93 and they tear up brass in a big way.  HKs are not a good choice for a source for brass.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Typo, sorry.  Year is 1973
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I was just curious, considering all the $129-$159 per 1000 rnd/case portugeese/spanish available right now I have no excuse to be reloading 7.62 NATO anyhow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top