Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/31/2022 6:33:03 PM EDT
One word: Impressive. She devoured over 200 rounds of 124g mke brand ammo and 120 rounds of 115g CCI ammo, all without a hiccup. I mean it was a flawless performance and she was deadly accurate to boot. I didn’t think about snapping a pic of the target but the center Zero was completely ripped off. It only took a few rounds to set zero [Aimpoint PRO] at 25 yards and it was total bliss after that.  The AP5 is a freaggin joy to shoot. Recoil is virtually non existent.

The irons were pretty spot on at 25 yards as well. Elevation was maybe 1-2” low, but windage was perfect.  While firing the gun I inadvertently kept turning on the SF628. As much as I tried to avoid it my grip kept engaging the switch. SF use to sell a dedicated switch cover for these lights but it has been discontinued. I’m pretty sure I can make a clip-on switch cover out of kydex. I’ll work on the design asap.  

I ordered a AP5-P last week from Atlantic Firearms and it’s scheduled to deliver Tuesday so I hope to have another favorable range report by next Sunday.

In closing it’s important to know that I prepped the gun by taking it apart to oil and lube the inner rails and bcg components. I also cleaned the barrel and put a few drops of oil on all the trigger springs and the selector switch.  You’ll notice a difference on how much smoother it charges, afterwards.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What brace is that?  What mags?  What red dot mount?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like a safety harbor kes, that's an mke mag.  The optic rail...im not sure
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Looks like a safety harbor kes, that's an mke mag.  The optic rail...im not sure
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great eye! The qd mount is a MIdwest Industries #MI-QDAPM.

** Just noticed I misread the question about the "optic rail".  It's a UTG I purchased on amazon for $21. For the inexpensive price, it's actually a solid mount.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’re welcome. I’ll  make sure to take target photos on my next range trip.:)
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sweet Brace !!!
View Quote

Thanks. It really is a bad azz brace. For the mp5-p I plan to go with a B&T retractable stock. Hint-Hint.

Btw, Thank You for the great prices,  service and fast shipping!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For the mp5-p I plan to go with a B&T retractable stock. Hint-Hint.
View Quote

It's fantastic

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome! I had the same experience with my AP5P. It came zero'd from the factory and the rear sight is almost perfectly centered. It functioned 100% with all FMJ and 99% with our duty ammo (some variation of Hornady Critical Defense). I had one failure to feed, but I'm not sure that it's not a magazine break-in problem. I have one MKE mag that is a little gritty.

FYI, I had a lot of trouble reaching the selector so I purchased the SEF trigger housing/frame from HK parts. It was a tight fit but has a little bit smaller grip and looks better in my opinion. I'll post a picture after work.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's fantastic

https://i.imgur.com/rMSSmSd.jpeg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the mp5-p I plan to go with a B&T retractable stock. Hint-Hint.

It's fantastic

https://i.imgur.com/rMSSmSd.jpeg

That is Sexy af. The B&T retractable is an amazing brace/stock. Wish I didn't have to sell a kidney to buy one.  Prices are getting ridiculous on some of these braces!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That is Sexy af. The B&T retractable is an amazing brace/stock. Wish I didn't have to sell a kidney to buy one.  Prices are getting ridiculous on some of these braces!
View Quote

There used to be a coupon code that saved like $20 which i onow isn't much but at least it was something.   Still witha mod1c it was like $550
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There used to be a coupon code that saved like $20 which i onow isn't much but at least it was something.   Still with a mod1c it was like $550
View Quote

Have you seen the current prices for the Mod1c..?  When you find one they're typically north of $350.  I bought mine on GB last month for $245 and I thought I got a great deal.  

Regardless, your set-up is amazing!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#14]
huh -
mod1c's used to be on clearance for $69 each
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
huh -
mod1c's used to be on clearance for $69 each
View Quote

Those were the days, my friend
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I see the mount is Midwest Industries, what is the picatinny rail?  That doesn't look like the one in Atlantic's pictures.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I see the mount is Midwest Industries, what is the picatinny rail?  That doesn't look like the one in Atlantic's pictures.
View Quote

I purchased the "core AP5" so no factory rail was included.  The rail in the photo is a UTG model that I purchased on amazon for $21. For the inexpensive price, it's actually a solid mount.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Now with a SF LED module upgrade.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Great report.

My AP5-P was similiar with reloaded 124gr.

I did not have such luck with the HK Straight magazines though.  It would not feed.  Someone recommended that I change the springs on these 50-60 YO mags.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great report.

My AP5-P was similiar with reloaded 124gr.

I did not have such luck with the HK Straight magazines though.  It would not feed.  Someone recommended that I change the springs on these 50-60 YO mags.
View Quote

I've read a few reports about the straight mages not working well with the MKE line. Hopefully yours will be gtg after you replace the springs.  

I'm anticipating another range trip on Sunday as I'm picking up my AP5-P later this afternoon.  I'll just combine the reports on this thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've read a few reports about the straight mages not working well with the MKE line. Hopefully yours will be gtg after you replace the springs.  

I'm anticipating another range trip on Sunday as I'm picking up my AP5-P later this afternoon.  I'll just combine the reports on this thread.
View Quote

I replaced the springs on mine and they are flawless with fmj, hollow points not so much.  They did switch to curved mags for a reason.   To be honest the straight mags are more for looks..at least for me
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#22]
So I picked up my AP5-P this afternoon and much to my surprise the serial number ends in 0772.  My AP5, which was purchased last month has a serial number that ends in 0771. How cool is that..!  Both have a five-digit serial number.

It’s the little things in life that excite me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Just a few more items left to complete the AP5-P.  Hoping to get a chance to take it to the range on Sunday ...

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I picked up my AP5-P this afternoon and much to my surprise the serial number ends in 0772.  My AP5, which was purchased last month has a serial number that ends in 0771. How cool is that..!  Both have a five-digit serial number.

It’s the little things in life that excite me.
View Quote

[headbang

I like things like that as well. Your matched set was meant to be.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok, so you guys have some cool set ups. I got my AP5 few weeks ago, have SHF retractable with tailhook. Gonna put the triangle handguard on mine. Regarding the  reddot mounts, mine came with one. How does that one compare to some these you guys have, and is there a better one that won't break the bank?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok, so you guys have some cool set ups. I got my AP5 few weeks ago, have SHF retractable with tailhook. Gonna put the triangle handguard on mine. Regarding the  reddot mounts, mine came with one. How does that one compare to some these you guys have, and is there a better one that won't break the bank?
View Quote

I bought a MP5 UTG top rail on Amazon for my AP5 core and it's worked great, without any issues. I like it so much I bought another one for my AP5-P.  The price....(((( $21 )))).
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I bought a MP5 UTG top rail on Amazon for my AP5 core and it's worked great, without any issues. I like it so much I bought another one for my AP5-P.  The price....(((( $21 )))).
View Quote

Just got tracking on my P model. Does this need a different mount or the same as the full size?

Also what small parts should I stock up on.

Also great setups here
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks LOS....so I looked at the UTG. I see how pleased you are. Some of the reviews are...not great about fitment. How has your experience been with zero retention, fitment? Obviously your pleased and that a good price. Plus it looks like it has fairly decent mount hardware/set up compared to the MKE mount.

ETA: I'm an Aimpoint guy too, but figure I may run either a Romeo or maybe Holosun 510.

Thanks for answering all my questions. And not doubting your experience, just pricing is all over the map for mounts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks LOS....so I looked at the UTG. I see how pleased you are. Some of the reviews are...not great about fitment. How has your experience been with zero retention, fitment? Obviously your pleased and that a good price. Plus it looks like it has fairly decent mount hardware/set up compared to the MKE mount.

ETA: I'm an Aimpoint guy too, but figure I may run either a Romeo or maybe Holosun 510.

Thanks for answering all my questions. And not doubting your experience, just pricing is all over the map for mounts.
View Quote

You're welcome.  When I first tried to install the mount on the AP5 it wasn't dropping completely level and even with the top of the gun. The issue is/was that the recessed areas underneath the mount that insert into the prongs on top of the gun are made to a tight tolerance.  So I had to [lightly] tap the mount in with a rubber mallet. It went on pretty easily.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You're welcome.  When I first tried to install the mount on the AP5 it wasn't dropping completely level and even with the top of the gun. The issue is/was that the recessed areas underneath the mount that insert into the prongs on top of the gun are made to a tight tolerance.  So I had to [lightly] tap the mount in with a rubber mallet. It went on pretty easily.
View Quote

Gotcha. Thanks for that. I'm gonna likely pick one up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one of the Walther manufactured and Umarex imported HK-branded .22lr MP5's and have the UTG mount on it, it's pretty solid.

Whichever one came with my AP5-P is a pain in the ass to get all 4 corners done.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Went to the range and put through 250 rounds of assorted ammo.

Blazer 147 grain
Remington 147 grain
Lawman 124 grain
My reloads 124 grain FMJ with 4.0 gr Titegroup

A friends also had his AP5 with him. His was suppressed and he had Syntech subs and some Super Vel ammo.

Neither of us had any issues. Both guns ran 100% with the MKE mags as well as HK mags. These guns are fantastic. If you’re on the fence you need to buy one.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice! Thanks for your report. Bet they were pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got back from the range. Took the AP5-P out and it did not disappoint. Just like it's big brother, it's a fine shooter. I had no issues of any kind at the range expect for one at the beginning. I'll explain later. The little fella  ate 210 rounds of MKE 124s with ease and also 30 rounds of CCI brass 115s. This thing is accurate! All shots were fired in a standing position, gun supported only by sling. This thing is a joy to shoot. I didn't even have to zero the Holosun. It was dead-on from the get go.

Here are a few photos..:

Photo 1 shows a 30 round group fired at 20 yards. It was the first time firing the gun.

Close-up of photo 1

Photo 2 shows an additional 30 rounds fired at bulls eye, but at 30 yards.

Close-up of Photo 2.

Photo 3 shows 90 rounds fired at bulls eye, but target placed back to 20 yards.

Photo 4 shows a 30 round group fired above bulls eye with CCI 115s at 30 yards.

Close-up of Photo 4

All in all a perfect range trip. The MKE AP5 and AP5-P are definitely keepers.

Oh, and as for the little issue that I had at the range.? Well, It happened before a shot was even fired. I left a little skin on the rail racking the charge handle for the mag insert. Rookie mistake.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy Buckets! Now I REALLY want one. AP5 CORE and then start putting on the goodies when in hand. Thank you OP for the review.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Holy Buckets! Now I REALLY want one. AP5 CORE and then start putting on the goodies when in hand. Thank you OP for the review.
View Quote

Go for it. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Atlantic Firearms is going to get enriched a bit by Monday!

I am wondering if I should just get the AP5 with the SB brace and get the Safety harbor setup later?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Honestly, regardless of which one you purchase first, you’ll eventually end up purchasing the other. :)

The AP5 will shoot softer than the “P”, but the felt recoil on both is virtually non-existent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh, and as for the little issue that I had at the range.? Well, It happened before a shot was even fired. I left a little skin on the rail racking the charge handle for the mag insert. Rookie mistake.

View Quote
LOL, The big missing chunk on my left thumb just finished healing up from the same thing.

Strong reminder, get a good solid grip on that damn CH, cause if you go for an aggressive pull and slip off, you optic/rail is going to take a bite.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#40]
One thing to note, and it's very well documented,  is that the exposed trunnion will get a "little warm" as  you fire more and more rounds down the pipe. Of course, wearing gloves will take care of the issue. I don't own gloves (yet) so I came home from the range with a thought on how to shield the hand from the heavenly warmth without having to wear gloves.

I love to work with kydex so it didn't take me long to design and make and mold a trunnion heat shield for my ap5p. of course, it also fits on my ap5. Will take it out and test it next week.  

The THS just snaps on. Here's a few pics...

Exposed Trunnion on the ap5p

photos of the THS

photos of the THS on the ap5p
right side

left side

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
LOL, The big missing chunk on my left thumb just finished healing up from the same thing.

Strong reminder, get a good solid grip on that damn CH, cause if you go for an aggressive pull and slip off, you optic/rail is going to take a bite.
View Quote

Yes, Sir. Mine is still a bit tender. lol.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#42]
MKE is the best deal in firearms around. They’re fine quality and a great way to get into the MP5 platform. For all the “clone” haters out there saying it is t a real HK, how many of your AR rifles/carbines were built by Colt?
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
MKE is the best deal in firearms around. They’re fine quality and a great way to get into the MP5 platform. For all the “clone” haters out there saying it is t a real HK, how many of your AR rifles/carbines were built by Colt?
View Quote

My thoughts exactly! I hate when someone calls it an MP5 “clone.” HK parts will interchange with it, and no one else calls any non-Armalite AR-15 a “clone.” We can debate on the quality of one manufacturer to another, but in the end, it’s the same platform.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree completely, although you’d be surprised about the number of AR-15 correctors out there.  I’ve encountered quite a few over the years who have asked/challenged shooters whether their “AR-15” is a “real” Colt.

Whether it’s an HK platform or an AR-15 platform firearm there is a great deal of snob appeal involved when someone starts disparaging one for being a “clone”.

With the MKE made MP5, the irony is that it’s made on HK tooling to HK specs, while *ALL* AR-15s not made by Colt are reverse engineered copies.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I agree completely, although you’d be surprised about the number of AR-15 correctors out there.  I’ve encountered quite a few over the years who have asked/challenged shooters whether their “AR-15” is a “real” Colt.

Whether it’s an HK platform or an AR-15 platform firearm there is a great deal of snob appeal involved when someone starts disparaging one for being a “clone”.

With the MKE made MP5, the irony is that it’s made on HK tooling to HK specs, while *ALL* AR-15s not made by Colt are reverse engineered copies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Words of wisdom, fellas. Words of wisdom!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The MKE AP5 pistols are definitely the best deal on a roller lock pistol we have have seen in the last 15 plus years. The rebate offered by the importer ends in a few weeks and would anticipate prices starting to go up as we get into the fall. If you want one now is probably the best time .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/century-ap5-core-hg6034a-n-1.jpg
MKE Firearms

View Quote

Just ordered this exact one! LOS made me do it, lol!

Seriously, I’m glad I did for that price. I’ll get a SB or Safety Harbor collapsing brace and a wide hand guard for it in a few days. I was gifted three HK 30rnd mags a while ago so it was meant to be. I’m glad I kept them. I still want to buy some more MKE mags though. As to mounts and optics I will wait on those.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#48]
@LOS
What brace is that on the shorty? Is that the B&T?
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@LOS
View Quote
KES
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
KES
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@LOS
KES

Yep. Thank you, D_Man.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top