Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2019 12:33:49 AM EDT
Local shop has a FA91 with wide handguard and bipod for $500.

The internet consensus is these are junk guns, but is it worth more than $500 in parts (especially with the wide handguard and bipod)?

I wasn't permitted to confirm parts manufacturer. Were all of these Portuguese FMP parts guns?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one.  It was one of the very first roller-locked guns I bought it in the late 90s to early 2000s during the middle of the ban years.

If memory serves correctly the guts one mine were mostly 60s era german parts (barrel, bolt, and carrier) and were marked as such.

I dont recall what the fire control group parts were or the furniture was but it came with a slimline handguard.

Pretty much everything was pulled off of mine for other projects over the years and I have the barreled action/receiver combo stored somewhere.

Mine always went bang, was reasonably accurate, but was pretty ugly with the big aluminum receiver.

It got used as an alternate hog hunting gun with a scope for a couple years due to the integral scope mount on the receiver.

I would be hard pressed to spend $500 on one nowadays, especially not knowing what parts may be inside it and/or if you could even reuse the barrel.  I think the trunnion are usually not reusable as they were glued and pinned in as there was no way to weld a steel trunnion to an aluminum receiver.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one.  It was one of the very first roller-locked guns I bought it in the late 90s to early 2000s during the middle of the ban years.

If memory serves correctly the guts one mine were mostly 60s era german parts (barrel, bolt, and carrier) and were marked as such.

I dont recall what the fire control group parts were or the furniture was but it came with a slimline handguard.

Pretty much everything was pulled off of mine for other projects over the years and I have the barreled action/receiver combo stored somewhere.

Mine always went bang, was reasonably accurate, but was pretty ugly with the big aluminum receiver.

It got used as an alternate hog hunting gun with a scope for a couple years due to the integral scope mount on the receiver.

I would be hard pressed to spend $500 on one nowadays, especially not knowing what parts may be inside it and/or if you could even reuse the barrel.  I think the trunnion are usually not reusable as they were glued and pinned in as there was no way to weld a steel trunnion to an aluminum receiver.
View Quote
Thanks. Sound like I should probably pass on it as a parts gun. I thought maybe they were all newer FMP parts guns. Also didn't know about the trunnion being unusable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks. Sound like I should probably pass on it as a parts gun. I thought maybe they were all newer FMP parts guns. Also didn't know about the trunnion being unusable.
View Quote
I went and dug up the old FA91 receiver and the trunnion is definitely suspect as there are two vertical pins drilled through it on the left and right side to "pin" the trunnion the the aluminum receiver.  Maybe you could reuse it....but there is going to be a ~1/8" vertical hole running underneath your trunion to receiver plug weld on both side.  Seems like a good spot for a future trunnion weld failure if you ask me.

I double-checked the barrel and it is FMP but the bolt head was still paired up with the receiver and was a German HK (68) unit. The carrier has long since found a new home but I am 99% sure it was HK german as well and date code matched the bolt head.

The cocking tube and sight triple frame are also jacked.  Since FA/Century couldn't weld the cocking tube to the receiver (same steel to aluminum issue as the trunnion) they instead welded the cocking tube to the sight triple frame which is pinned to the barrel.  It looks like you could cut them apart and grind the welds off the parts but the cocking tube and sight triple frame are never going to be "normal".
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info. I do recall that this one had the pin configuration you described.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top