Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2013 6:01:28 AM EDT
I am having a heck of a time trying to take the front sight assembly off of my Umarex HK MP5 A5 .22. I have a replacement Euro spec barrel shroud for an SBR project, but I can't figure out how to remove the existing one.

Has anyone figured this out how to remove the front sight assembly from the cocking handle tube?

The cocking handle tube has a bracket on it (which is where the retaining pin for the forearm grip is inserted), and the bottom of the bracket has a tab fits into a slot on the top of the barrel shroud. If it wasn't for the tab, the barrel shroud would slide right out of the bottom of the front sight assembly.

On the parts diagram, the front sight assembly appears one solid forged piece, but it doesn't show how the front sight assembly attaches to the cocking tube. I removed the cocking lever and bar from the tube, and it looks like there may be some kind of a plug at the end of the cocking tube where it attaches to the sight. There could be a hex nut in the middle of the plug, but it looks more like a rivet.

The rest of this rifle came apart very easily, and I want to use brute force as a last resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't remove my barrel shroud, I just cut the existing shroud with a pipe cutter.

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I didn't remove my barrel shroud, I just cut the existing shroud with a pipe cutter.

<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/slipjett/media/IMG_5210.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_5210.jpg</a>

Barrel is quick and easy to drop in, right?

I'm thinking about doing this. Still functioning 100%?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured out how to remove the front sight and the barrel shroud from the cocking tube. Although it doesn't appear on the parts diagram, there is a hex screw at the very end of the cocking tube that screws into the front sight. To access it, you will have to remove the roll pin to take out the cocking handle, and then take the cocking bar out of the tube. You will need to use a very long 2.5mm hex wrench. I used one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000189QV0
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks great. Where did you end up engraving the name?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Just picked up one of these and have considered cutting the barrel and
installing a suppressor.  Is there a thread somewhere about doing this?
Looks like what Slipjett did above.

What is the euro spec barrel shroud?

Link Posted: 10/1/2013 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I've looked around on here but cannot find a thread for doing this SBR project, it is something I'd like to do.  Has anyone done this or have a pointer to where I can get any more information?  I want to explore the ease of it before I buy the gun and pay the tax stamp.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Old thread but subscribing hoping someone has a step by step. I have plenty of time though while I wait for my stamp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top