Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2011 9:15:20 AM EDT
Anyone know where I can find a rear sight for a G3 that has a ring/diopter for all four positions?  I've seen them for the HK416, but I swear I saw some for sale one that had them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
PTR91's used to have them...
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Just set the sight to 2 and blast away.  The elevation between 100 and 200 meters is not that much.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just set the sight to 2 and blast away.  The elevation between 100 and 200 meters is not that much.

+1 on using the "2" setting.

Thanks,

Don-S1
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1 from me on this one also.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Position 2 is good to go for distances from 50 to 250 meters. The V notch is good if you must very quickly aim at short distances, firing short busts, what means you are waiting for sudden ambushes.  Also for aiming at twilight etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
so, is there an offset when using the 200m sight?  is it low at 50m, high at 100m, and on at 200m?
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 3:25:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry but can not really answer to this question. I don't think the trajectory is flat enough that POA and POI  is the same between 50 and 250 meters.

We didn't hunted for the bullseye, we had military/police type silhouette paper targets. Aiming at the nose and hitting the helmet - fulfilled. No-one asked for the reason of the difference between POA and POI.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
This little link gives a lot of rear sight info for its size.  In addition, the entire site which this link resides on is stellar for an HK enthusiast!  

HK Sight Adj.

Main Site

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so, is there an offset when using the 200m sight?  is it low at 50m, high at 100m, and on at 200m?

It's high at 50 and 100.  Only about 0.5" high at 50 and 1.25" high at 100.  The V notch is fine for combat use out to 100 (minute-of-bad guy), the 200 meter peep is better at the range.  I put the bull on top of the front post and it groups right in the bull.

Not a fan of the 100 peep on my MR556, the drum internals are in the way so it's not a circle when looking through it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
* Sorry for the hijack *  how do I remove a stuck sight ball from a de-milled surplus rear sight assembly w/o having to use the rear sight tool? Thanks.

Per the thread topic, I prefer the 200 meter setting to the v-notch for closer range shooting.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
* Sorry for the hijack *  how do I remove a stuck sight ball from a de-milled surplus rear sight assembly w/o having to use the rear sight tool? Thanks.

Per the thread topic, I prefer the 200 meter setting to the v-notch for closer range shooting.

Use "the" rear sight tool or use "a" rear sight tool?

If you don't have a rear sight tool, needle nose pliers or hemostats, with some modifications, will work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]

If you don't have a rear sight tool, needle nose pliers or hemostats, with some modifications, will work.[/div]

After I posted I used a pair of round needle nose pliers since I don't I have "the" HK tool with me.  The needle nose pliers work amazing well, btw.

That being said, removing the drum didn't allow me any access to the ball.  I'll just pick up another rear sight assembly and deal with the old one later.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you don't have a rear sight tool, needle nose pliers or hemostats, with some modifications, will work.[/div]

After I posted I used a pair of round needle nose pliers since I don't I have "the" HK tool with me.  The needle nose pliers work amazing well, btw.

That being said, removing the drum didn't allow me any access to the ball.  I'll just pick up another rear sight assembly and deal with the old one later.  

The entire rear sight must be removed from the top the receiver to get to the detent ball and spring.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire rear sight must be removed from the top the receiver to get to the detent ball and spring.

What I have is a surplus sight assembly that came with the sight ball stuck in it. The detent ball will not lock the rotating part under spring pressure and will only engage the slot if pushed with a punch or other tool.  The ball will back off (very slightly) if the tower is turned but will not fall or roll out and get lost like all of the others I have screwed with.

I soaked the sight and still nothing. For a $12 part, I'll just move on.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I have is a surplus sight assembly that came with the sight ball stuck in it. The detent ball will not lock the rotating part under spring pressure and will only engage the slot if pushed with a punch or other tool.  The ball will back off (very slightly) if the tower is turned but will not fall or roll out and get lost like all of the others I have screwed with.

I soaked the sight and still nothing. For a $12 part, I'll just move on.

I see what you're saying now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This little link gives a lot of rear sight info for its size.  In addition, the entire site which this link resides on is stellar for an HK enthusiast!  

Thanks for those links
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I used the V-notch for 0-300 yards, I just moved the front sight a little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top